• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

can you recommend a good used garden tractor?

baldy347

Can any one recommend a decent garden tractor with mowing deck?My 1982 JD 214 is about used up.It has been nearly trouble free except the deck and deck drive and the Vari-ator ,which is becoming a real nuisance! I've spent more time under it than on it:sad:.
Thanks in advance,wayne

loboloco

baldy, any time you buy used, you are buying somebody else's problem. that said, if you can find one a kubota or Yanmar can sometimes be picked up kind of cheap.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll 2nd what Lobo said ....but I'll admit, I have never seen Kubota for sale for a 'cheap' price. I would expect to pay 5k and up for a good one. They run over twice that new.

I've been in situations where I bought used mowers. They never lasted and always cost me extra for things I had not planned on. Mowing is tough on a machine. Maybe you could find an older one that has been rebuilt (be sure to buy it from the guy who rebuilt it). My brother got one that way and that worked out real good for him.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Strong preference would be any brand with a diesel engine.

But if it must be a gas engine then I would look for a brand with a Kohler engine.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
honda used to make a small tractor most folks up here put blower heads on them and used them for clearing long driveways what everbody liked the best was the hydrostatic trasmission i havn't seen one in years i would guess they are no longer made

baldy347

Thanks all,there seems to nearly a cult following here for the Kubotas I'll see what i can find.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wayne,

Are you looking for something just for mowing? The aforementioned tractors (to me) sound more like sub-compact utility tractors which may be a bit overkill for just mowing.

For a lawn/garden tractor, my first choice would be something not made/owned by MTD. That narrows it down to just a couple mfgr's (JD, Simplicity, Husqvarna? and maybe a couple others).

All that said, I have a clean Roper (same as a Craftsman) that has had light use but I don't need it. I mowed about 200' with it one time and then cleaned it up and put it in storage. If you ever come down this way (W. PA), you're welcome to kick the tires on it and give it a test ride.

EDIT TO ADD:
I only watched the first minute or so if the video, but here's the one I have (but mine is in MUCH better shape)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuAdVENyFtQ"]YouTube - ‪Roper GTK-18 horizontal shaft Kohler powered garden tractor‬‏[/ame]

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
honda used to make a small tractor most folks up here put blower heads on them and used them for clearing long driveways what everbody liked the best was the hydrostatic trasmission i havn't seen one in years i would guess they are no longer made

Unfortunately, Honda got out of the garden tractor business. They built some really strong units, and the liquid cooled v-twin they put in 'em was smooth, quiet and strong. If you can find one in relatively good shape, grab it. It will last for years.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks all,there seems to nearly a cult following here for the Kubotas I'll see what i can find.

If you're looking for a Kubota G series garden tractor, my wife works at a Kubota dealership. I've seen quite a few in his shop with trans problems. The owner and the mechanic told me they are "junk".

loboloco

I guess to clarify, are you looking for a garden tractor or a lawn tractor? There is a little bit of difference as one of the earlier posts pointed out. A Yanmar is basically a John Deere, but usually right around the 25 horse range. I have seen several around here as people pull in their horns because of age or finances.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you're looking for a Kubota G series garden tractor, my wife works at a Kubota dealership. I've seen quite a few in his shop with trans problems. The owner and the mechanic told me they are "junk".
Is that on the G series or GR series? I understand there's a difference (one is good, the other has problems). Not 100% sure but I believe the GR is the better of the 2.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It was a G series I was referring to. (edit, it could have been T series which is labeled as a "lawn tractor")

To me a Garden Tractor is a larger size mower capable of pulling small implemenets in the garden.
When you get into the Yanmars and such, they're a tractor. IMO

baldy347

The JD 212 i think is considered to be "garden tractor" and it is marginally light weight[duty ?] for where i mow-it is fairly rough and way too wet![sank to frame on the Fourth of July last year] Have two and a half acres , when it is too wet grass may be hood high before i can mow it. Turf treds are very nearly worthless-definitely need Ag tires.
New sub compact Cub Cadets here are branded YANMAR also, price is more than i can do;even if i could find a reliable dealer.