• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

GEAR TEST ... 65 Degrees + Sun is COLD in a vented jacket

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I intentionally did something that my wife considered stupid from the onset.

I wanted to test my new hot weather motorcycle jacket to see how low I could take it in the temperature range. 65 degrees is probably 10 degrees BELOW the comfort range for this jacket.

The jacket is a Mesh/Textile/Leather motorcycle jacket designed for hot weather. Many of the "reviewers" suggest it is also good for late spring and early fall. Meh, not so much!

All the mesh panels on the jacket can be zippered closed or fully opened, or you can mix and match.

The entire back panel drops down into a seat pocket exposing a full mesh back. There are two large mesh chest panels on the front that are backed with a double layer wind resistant panel that zipper open/closed. The arms, nearly from wrist to shoulder, have full length zippers that open into mesh bellows. When opened up fully you feel the wind flow all the way through this jacket. In the photos below I intentionally left the interior mesh cover dangling open, but it tucks down into its own internal pocket to keep it out of the way and allow the rider to access the interior pockets that are located under that zip down panel.

At 65 degrees, full sun, with all the panels closed, I did a 15 mile ride on the backcountry roads with speed limits from 25 to 45mph. Generally riding at 5mph over the speed limit so I didn't have cars trying to climb up my butt. So speeds were 25 to 50 ... think more of those speeds as WIND CHILL FACTOR! I felt noticeably cold in the upper chest as air "leaks" through the zippers on the closed panels. The leather panels are perforated to aid in ventilation. My upper arms also were noticeably cold, possibly because the cordura fabric is somewhat breathable? Possibly because the zipper leaks some air along the vents? In any case, when I returned home my body was COLD. Damn cold. Sat under a blanket cold despite the fact that the temp in the house was 70 (F) degrees.

After yesterday's ride I'm going to say that riding any distance, in temps below 75 (F) degrees, in this jacket is a dumb idea.

Photos below show panels zipped open and closed. Even the exterior hand pockets are mesh inside so I zipped them closed to test this jacket in cool weather and so as to prevent a breeze through the hand pockets.

It should be noted that this is a heavily armored/protective motorcycle jacket with CE level 2 armor at the elbows, shoulders and back. The "mesh" is some sort of skid proof mesh that is designed not to tear apart if you slide down the asphalt at 55mph. The leather is somehow hardened and the textile material is abrasion resistant Cordura. So while it is a "mesh" jacket, it is a tough protective jacket that weighs about 10 pounds.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 9.45.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 9.45.12 AM.png
    592 KB · Views: 124
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 9.45.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 9.45.31 AM.png
    612.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 9.45.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 9.45.43 AM.png
    583.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 9.45.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 9.45.57 AM.png
    539.6 KB · Views: 129

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Left the house today and it was 72 and sunny, by the time we came home it was 79 and sunny.

Perfect day for the ventilated jackets. If anything I was a bit slow in opening the vents. Started out with only the arms open, fairly quickly realized I needed more venting. Speeds were in the 35 to 60mph range most of the time. We did hit a train in a small town and sweltered while sitting and waiting. Comfortable as long as we moved.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Man, Bob.
You've got this down to a science.
I was going to joke about you hitting a train.
:bolt: