• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wanted a simple watch

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Me neither. When was the last time anybody here bought a "cheap, simple" $500 watch? :poke:

That would be a great poll question! I'm on it........

Go to Wal*Mart and buy a $30 Timex. Donate the other $470 to charity?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Go to Wal*Mart and buy a $30 Timex. Donate the other $470 to charity?
I don't like to shop at Wal-Mart, don't want to support the Chinese economy buying there.
I see no simplicity to watch that cost $500.
2 of the 3 watches above are 1/2 that amount or less. Only one is more, that one is much more but is a discontinued model and can be had for under the 'budgeted' maximum price through a contact who is a horologist.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
2 of the 3 watches above are 1/2 that amount or less. Only one is more, that one is much more but is a discontinued model and can be had for under the 'budgeted' maximum price through a contact who is a horologist.

My bad, I just saw $500

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I looked at the Wenger site . . .
This one is kinda similar to mine

http://www.swissoutpost.com/watches...it=All&Upper_Price_Limit=All&search=Battalion
Yup that is a nice one, but what I am looking for is a lighter watch/smaller head unit. That is a 40mm dive watch. Dive watches are big and bulky by design. I'd like something in the 35 to 38mm size range, preferably 10mm thick or less.

Seems like the trend in watches is to make them BIGGER and THICKER lately. Many of the watches I'm seeing are 40, 42 or 44mm (excluding the crown) and often go 50mm lug to lug while being up to 15mm thick. Seems like the trend is to wear the biggest heaviest thing that your left arm can lift??? :smileywac

dgl24087

I have a Seiko with a black dial and stainless hands.

Jim
My Seiko has a charcoal dial with gold glow in the dark hands. Purchased for $90 in 1988 or 1989. Sam's Club has a similar Seiko, black dial, stainless/silver hands, still about $90. Several online vendors (Amazon for one) have a very large selection in about any brand you favor. You may want to take a look at www.overstock.com as well.

Ray

Here ya go...portable sundail from a paper plate...you will be the envy of all!

Sundial%20IV%20dual%20plates%20conjoined.jpg

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>
Only one is more, that one is much more but is a discontinued model and can be had for under the 'budgeted' maximum price through a contact who is a horologist.

Make sure you have protection. :rolleyes:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All thanks for the suggestions, I picked one out today. Under $200. 2 year warranty, very simple very high contrast face. The thing that sold me on the watch is that, for less than $200 I was able to get a dial with tritium inserts on the hands and at each of the 5 minute markers so it will be very easy to read at night too. The watch has a 41mm dial, which is a little bigger than I wanted, but the case is slim so that minimizes the bulk.

The brand is Mondaine, its the official watch of the Swiss Railway system, not sure if that means a hill of beans, but its supposed to be rugged and all the models they have are reasonably priced. They had an interesting alarm watch, and a nice dual time zone watch, both were under $300, but neither had luminous hands/markers.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 154

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
conrats :applause: :thumb: Where are your watches,today????:pat:

from my spouse,not me.
My watches are kept in a couple watch cases, some in auto winders, others not. But as for "this" watch, well I ran into a snag with it. I had to special order it because this model was not in stock. Unfortunately I found out Thursday that it may not be in stock for quite a while. So I'm considering options at this point. Not sure what I will end up with. I'm going to check the availability from a couple other sources, if none have it in stock then I'll probably find another similar watch.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I refuse to buy from Sportsman's Guide. But the watch I bought looks similar to that one, but with a white face and dark numbers.

I bought a Timex at Target. List price was $33, paid $27. Its got an INDIGLO face that lights up when you push the stem. I changed out the traditional clasp for a deployment clasp and find it very easy to read, especially in the dark.