Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Tracked 4X4 Vehicles Forum

Old 12-31-2016, 08:08 PM

Slinky Pickle is on a distinguished road
Default Another season for the tracked Jeep is here

The snow was a bit slow in arriving but now that it's here (or at least partially here) I've had a few runs on the tracks already. Although there have been no issues with he tracks themselves, I seem to be having a bit of an issue with the new hydraulic assist steering. I'll have to look into that.

https://youtu.be/kBTrZtrj7xg
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slinky Pickle For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (01-01-2017), Northcoast (01-02-2017), Trackfabricator (01-03-2017), zekeusa (05-09-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 09:47 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,734 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Another season for the tracked Jeep is here

Is the hydraulic assist steering subject to freezing at low temps? Could be the hydraulic oil is too thick for the cold winter air?

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 01-14-2017, 10:52 AM

Trackfabricator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
The snow was a bit slow in arriving but now that it's here (or at least partially here) I've had a few runs on the tracks already. Although there have been no issues with he tracks themselves, I seem to be having a bit of an issue with the new hydraulic assist steering. I'll have to look into that.

https://youtu.be/kBTrZtrj7xg
An update would be great when you figure out what problems your cylinder assist steering was giving you. I plan on running AGR rock ram system on some vehicles, and I would like to gain some experience from yours.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:59 PM
Bronze Member

topwelder44 is on a distinguished road

ok so iam not a real smart guy---but ----why the cly. assist----I have a geo tracker on mattracks and mine steers fine stock
Old 01-28-2017, 11:05 PM

Slinky Pickle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackfabricator View Post
An update would be great when you figure out what problems your cylinder assist steering was giving you. I plan on running AGR rock ram system on some vehicles, and I would like to gain some experience from yours.
No, I haven't figured out the issue yet. I don't think it's a freezing issue, if anything it's an overheating thing. It goes fine for a while and then it just locks up. Once it warms up a bit I'll crawl under it and have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwelder44 View Post
ok so iam not a real smart guy---but ----why the cly. assist----I have a geo tracker on mattracks and mine steers fine stock
The hydraulic assist helps a lot on these tracks. They are about 50% longer than mattracks and they take a bit of effort to turn. The mattracks were just too short and didn't provide enough ground contact for my liking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slinky Pickle For This Useful Post:
Trackfabricator (02-04-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 03:58 PM

bobby wilkes is on a distinguished road

What brand are your tracks ???
Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Bronze Member

topwelder44 is on a distinguished road

ok---with the steering-----aftermarket junk is junk----I will guess your pump is giving out (getting hot)-----I think I would look into a different pump---your stock steering box should be fine---or go to both being off something bigger----go look at a chevy 7500 topkick----good choice----In my fab shop I have a saying ---GO DO THE MATH----real simple (math) contact patch of a tire ? 2 by 5 maybe---contact patch of bolt on tracks----about 14 by 40 ish-----so go ahead add more powerful steering and something else will break----ok so go out side today and duct tape a 2 by 4 to one foot try turning your foot left and right now turn the foot with nothing taped to it----I drove my old geo with tracks for 2 years with no power steering----the track fab. guy on here should try reprograming his plazma cutter and put a slight curve in his main frame and that would change the contact patch on hard ground---and still give flotation in deeper snow---or run bigger wheels in the center of his tracks and smaller on the outer wheels
Old 05-13-2017, 01:55 PM

Trackfabricator is on a distinguished road

All good input so I wouldn't want to turn this into a heated debate, but my goal was to help the extra effort steering in deep snow (Hard surfaces weren't necessarily my worry, my tracks are made for deep powder). Putting a radius in the track rails will certainly decreases the leverage on the steering system on hard surfaces, but as soon as you hit soft snow the advantage is lost. My cylinder assist system utilizes a modified OEM pump. The difference is huge in deep snow, and I haven't had any overheating problems. I have also ran my tracks on some vehicles with stock steering, and they can be operated. It is just not as easy. My goal with my track system was to have a set up that ran just as effective and easy as a true snowcat. Some users may be just fine with the additional steering effort, while some may want a better option. That being said, it is not impossible that I may someday radius the rails for less turning stress on hard surfaces. I just need to test it to make sure it doesn't put to much stress on the center bogie wheels, with the concentrated weight. I do appreciate the input from an experienced user of these track systems.