• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Grouser Bar Replacement

kgracey

Hey guys,

Just couldn't wait for the snow so I decided to drive the snowcat up on my driveway so I could work on it for the weekend. It was great having the tools nearby, though the driveway paid the price. Those ice picks don't slide well on a driveway, do they?

In this process I also broke a grouser. Thankfully I was given a few extra when I took delivery of the cat. However, the bolts are truly rusted - what a mess. I'd be surprised if I can remove them.

Any ideas for rusty bolt removal and grouser bar replacement?

Thanks!

Thanks

teledawg

I use a 3/8" drive air impact wrench with a six-sided impact socket to remove the rustly bolts, but only after soaking then two or three times with a penetrating oil. Sometimes you will have to drill a 3/32" hole into one face of the nut then crack the nut off with a three pound hammer and a cold chisel. It works pretty darn good.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Take a 4" right angle grinder with a cut off wheel ( less that 1/8" thick) and work into the head of the bolt from the side. Keep the wheel flat against the growser so it dosent cut it, just the head of the bolt. Cut the bolt head off. Then punch the threaded part out with a drift. Approx. 5 mins process. No heat damage to the track. :thumb:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
No no no. Just over tighten it till she breaks! After doing quite a few I found this to be the easiest way possible. The next easiest way is a cutting disk.

snowbird

I agree on the tightening-until-break method. I just wanted to take the tracks off my SV200 and on the first track I tried the penetrating oil and loosen method (not good). Didn't have another tool choice but cutting torch and found penetrating oil likes to burn when torched. (I kept a close eye on belt material and it seemed OK as long as I brushed off the molten metal immediately). Got smarter on other track and twisted off all but 2 ornery bolts.

Billy

Are you looking to replace these ICE Grousers?
I can fabricate them on my water jet or plasma.
Weld round stock cut to length on them.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree on the tightening-until-break method. I just wanted to take the tracks off my SV200 and on the first track I tried the penetrating oil and loosen method (not good). Didn't have another tool choice but cutting torch and found penetrating oil likes to burn when torched. (I kept a close eye on belt material and it seemed OK as long as I brushed off the molten metal immediately). Got smarter on other track and twisted off all but 2 ornery bolts.

Hey, snowbird we want some pictures...............:thumb:

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Tighten until it breaks works good too as long as it doesn't become tighten until it strips. :pat:

snowbird

Reply to Boggie:

I'll try to post pictures of my project under the "restoration" segment of the forum. I thought it would be more appropriate there. Hope I can remember how to do it.

snowbird

Snowbird, you clever old man - - - you figured out how to post a bunch of pictures of your SV200 project over in the restoration portion of the forum.