• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Chicago Teachers Union head blames poor blacks for problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The lower class (poor people) and people of color (blacks) are the real problem as to why the Chicago school system is a total failure. So says the union leader who represents teachers in Chicago.

LINKY => http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...mes-Woes-on-Lower-Class-and-Students-of-Color

"I have seen the profession of teaching go from one in which it was considered, um, very prestigious to one that is constantly ridiculed, and, um, basically, uh, discarded and we feel, by and large, it's due to the fact that we serve, um, a predominantly, uh, working, and uh, and quite frankly lower class students, uh, and students of color."

mak2

If this union learder really said that, he/she should and probably will be fired on the spot, or at least as soon as possible.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Hmmmm, lower class students and students of color. As long as liberals racial profile it is OK. Good thing a conservative didn't say that. RACIST they would call him/her. Scream it from the yardarm. Demand a resignation or worse. A good old fashioned keelhauling maybe. A Liberal says it and they are simply being objective and forthcoming. Can't you all just understand that? :yum:

loboloco

Funny thing is, had she left off the 'people of color' remark, she would have been hitting pretty close to bulls-eye on the problems of modern education.
I have met many people of many races and have found them to contain a fair distribution of intelligence, common sense(not always the same persons), initiative and drive. I have also found them to contain a fair leavening of idiots, willfully ignorant, over-educated, and just plain dumb as a box of rocks.
While many from disadvantaged backgrounds want to, and try to,take advantage of our education system, too often they are drowned out in the masses who don't want to learn and use school as an excuse to recruit for sick games played out on the streets.
Many of these who don't 'want' to learn get the attitude from their parents. Distrust of authority, scorn for education, and a general lack of common sense abounds in the school systems.
However, the lack of respect that educators now find themselves faced with was their own creation. We are now in the second generation of teachers who themselves were never properly educated. They were passed out of high schools barely literate, and because many of them could qualify for nothing else, went to education curriculum's where they learned 'theory' of education, but very few of the subjects they were supposed to educate on.

mak2

I did not say the union leader could not say whatever he/she wanted to, but a union leader should not make racist comments in the performance of their duties. If he/she did it at a Klan meeting after work he/she would have every right to say it. I still havent been able to veryify it in a local news source, any time Breidbart puts something up it is all over bizillions of right wing sites in seconds, making it difficult to find in local sources.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I did not say the union leader could not say whatever he/she wanted to, but a union leader should not make racist comments in the performance of their duties. If he/she did it at a Klan meeting after work he/she would have every right to say it. I still havent been able to veryify it in a local news source, any time Breidbart puts something up it is all over bizillions of right wing sites in seconds, making it difficult to find in local sources.
Perhaps the local and MSM outlets are suppressing the story or have retracted it when they found out it was in bad taste, or they were ordered by the Administration to retract it. Happens all the time since Obama became POTUS.

Kane

"I have seen the profession of teaching go from one in which it was considered, um, very prestigious to one that is constantly ridiculed, and, um, basically, uh, discarded and we feel, by and large, it's due to the fact that we serve, um, a predominantly, uh, working, and uh, and quite frankly lower class students, uh, and students of color."
So this is the result of Chicago public education. Sad.

Nice guy that I am, I should send a gift to this lady, along with Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson. They all need a copy of RosettaStone, English Version.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
If this union learder really said that, he/she should and probably will be fired on the spot, or at least as soon as possible.

Really? The NAACP complained that the rural school my children attend rates much higher on standardized tests because they do not have an "appropriate amount" of colored students there. They claim that the schools, where twice the amount of money per student is spent, that are predominantly blacks perform poorly on those tests because they don't have an appropriate racial mix.

I've said it before, and you know it quite well, that IMHO nobody is going to convince me that blacks are inherently less intelligent than whites. There are too many examples of where blacks have applied themselves and had a traditional family (a father present) have done well. So, how can the NAACP make this statement without being racist?

mak2

Really? The NAACP complained that the rural school my children attend rates much higher on standardized tests because they do not have an "appropriate amount" of colored students there. They claim that the schools, where twice the amount of money per student is spent, that are predominantly blacks perform poorly on those tests because they don't have an appropriate racial mix.

I've said it before, and you know it quite well, that IMHO nobody is going to convince me that blacks are inherently less intelligent than whites. There are too many examples of where blacks have applied themselves and had a traditional family (a father present) have done well. So, how can the NAACP make this statement without being racist?

I commend you on your abtility to pick out racist comments when made by others. Any comment implying one race is inherently superior to another is racist. I think I have been consistant, no matter who says it, a racist comment is a racist comment.

bolded part inplys racial superiority, or inferiority whichere.

And I beleive your quote there on the last line or so was changed a bit so it is no longer technically racist, The implication blacks, as a race, dont work and are trained to live off the governemnt makes it a racist comment.

"To the point where I feel that blacks can be just as intelligent as other races if they apply themselves and work (not live off of the government like most have been trained to do)" this implys or actually states they are not as intelligent because they dont apply themselfs (lazy) and are trained to live off the government. See the difference?

I think I might be getting through to you. :clap:

Kane

History of Race, Evolution, and Behavior

J. P. Rushton's book Race, Evolution, and Behavior collected and analyzed many of the data sets on race differences in brain size and intelligence and personality and temperament first noted by Darwin, Galton, and other 19th century visionaries. Using evidence from psychology, anthropology, sociology and other scientific disciplines, Race, Evolution, and Behavior shows there are at least three biological races (subspecies) of man - Orientals (i.e., Mongoloids or Asians), Blacks (i.e., Negroids or Africans), and Whites (i.e., Caucasoids or Europeans).

There are recognizable profiles for the three major racial groups on brain size, intelligence, personality and temperament, sexual behavior, and rates of fertility, maturation and longevity. On average, Orientals and their descendants around the world fall at one end of the continuum, Blacks and their descendants around the world fall at the other end of the continuum, Europeans regularly fall in between. This worldwide pattern implies evolutionary and genetic, rather than purely social, political, economic, or cultural causes.

Race, Evolution, and Behavior was originally brought out by Transaction Publishers in 1995 and widely reviewed in the academic and popular media. The 1st edition was deemed sufficiently important that Takuya Kura, an ethologist at the University of Kyoto, and his brother Kenya Kura, an economist at the University of San Diego, translated it into Japanese. It was published in 1996 by Hakuhin-sha of Tokyo. Transaction published a 2nd edition in 1997 with a new Afterword, which they also released in paperback. In 1999 they produced a "Special Abridged Edition" which presented the same research in a condensed and popularly written style, similar to that used for articles in Discover Magazine, Reader's Digest, and Scientific American.

A firestorm of controversy engulfed Transaction's 1999 Special Abridged Edition and Transaction felt forced to relinquish the copyright. When it was mailed out to thousands of academics, the Progressive Sociologists, a self-proclaimed radical group within the American Sociological Association, and some other self-styled "anti-racist" individuals and groups, particularly among anthropologists, objected to its distribution and threatened Transaction with loss of a booth at annual meetings, advertising space in journals, and access to mailing lists if they continued to send it out.

Transaction caved in to this pressure, withdrew from publishing the book, and even apologized for having distributed it. They claimed that their copyright should never have appeared on the Special Abridged Edition and that it had "all been a mistake." Transaction's letter of apology appeared on the inside front cover of their flagship journal Society (January/February, 2000). Accounts of the affair appeared in the Chronicle of Higher Education (January 14, 2000), Canada's National Post (January 31, 2000), Anthropology News (April, 2000), and elsewhere.

Why the attempt to trash or suppress this book? Because there is no stronger taboo today than talking about race. In many cases, just being accused of "racism" can get you fired. Some vocal groups in academia and the media simply forbid an open discussion of race. It is difficult to disagree with Charles Murray's (1996, p. 575) conclusion in his analysis of the aftermath to The Bell Curve controversy, that in regard to heritable variation and race, science has "become self-censored and riddled with taboos -- in a word, corrupt."

The goal of all editions of Race, Evolution, and Behavior has been purely scientific - to describe and explain the world around us as it really is. The book has no policy suggestions or programs to offer, but it does suggest that decision makers would benefit from knowing the facts about race. Both science and justice depend on truth. Both should reject error and falsehood, however well meant.

What Others Have Said

"(An) incendiary thesis....that separate races of human beings evolved different reproductive strategies to cope with different environments and that these strategies led to physical differences in brain size and hence in intelligence. Human beings who evolved in the warm but highly unpredictable environment of Africa adopted a strategy of high reproduction, while human beings who migrated to the hostile cold of Europe and northern Asia took to producing fewer children but nurturing them more carefully."
---Malcolm W. Browne, New York Times Book Review

"Rushton is a serious scholar who has assembled serious data. Consider just one example: brain size. The empirical reality, verified by numerous modern studies, including several based on magnetic resonance imaging, is that a significant and substantial relationship does exist between brain size and measured intelligence after body size is taken into account and that the races do have different distributions of brain size."
---Charles Murray, Afterword to The Bell Curve

"Describes hundreds of studies worldwide that show a consistent pattern of human racial differences in such characteristics as intelligence, brain size, genital size, strength of sex drive, reproductive potency, industriousness, sociability, and rule following. On each of these variables, the groups are aligned in the order: Orientals, Caucasians, Blacks."
---Mark Snyderman, National Review

"Rushton's Race, Evolution, and Behavior...is an attempt to understand [race] differences in terms of life-history evolution....Perhaps there ultimately will be some serious contribution from the traditional smoke-and-mirrors social science treatment of IQ, but for now Rushton's framework is essentially the only game in town."
---Henry Harpending, Evolutionary Anthropology

"This brilliant book is the most impressive theory-based study...of the psychological and behavioral differences between the major racial groups that I have encountered in the world literature on this subject."
---Arthur R. Jensen, University of California, Berkeley

"The only acceptable explanation of race differences in behavior allowed in public discourse is an entirely environmental one...Professor Rushton deserves our gratitude for having the courage to declare that this emperor has no clothes, and that a more satisfactory explanation must be sought."
---Thomas J. Bouchard, Jr., University of Minnesota

"The remarkable resistance to racial science in our times has led to comparisons with the inquisition of Rome, active during the Renaissance.... Astronomy and the physical sciences had their Copernicus, Kepler, and Galileo a few centuries ago; society and the welfare of humanity is the better for it today. In a directly analogous fashion, psychology and the social sciences today have their Darwin, Galton, and Rushton."
---Glayde Whitney, Contemporary Psychology

"The data are startling to the uninitiated....Race, Evolution, and Behavior confronts us as few books have with the dilemmas wrought in a democratic society by individual and group differences in key human traits."
---Linda Gottfredson, Politics and the Life Sciences

"Professor Rushton is widely known and respected for the unusual combination of rigour and originality in his work....Few concerned with understanding the problems associated with race can afford to disregard this storehouse of well-integrated information which gives rise to a remarkable synthesis."
---Hans J. Eysenck, University of London

"Should, if there is any justice, receive a Nobel Prize."
---Richard Lynn, Spectator

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't know about you, Kane, but I know that if I were working up the courage to blurt out this comment, I'd be throwing in a few "uhs' and "ums".

Ms Lewis said;" So, um, the first thing I want to say, Mike, is thank you for hosting this and moderating this panel. um Iiii, I'm a product of Chicago Public Schools. My parents were both Chicago Public School teachers. My, uh, husband is a retired public school teacher. I have a sister in law who is retired from Chicago Public Schools so for me, it's almost genetic and I have seen the profession of teaching go from one in which it was considered, um, very prestigious to one that is constantly ridiculed, and, um, basically, uh, discarded and we feel, by and large, it's due to the fact that we serve, um, a predominantly, uh, working, and uh, and quite frankly lower class students, uh, and students of color".

Her observations about the correlation between the deterioration of the environment and the demographics served are not different from those of Bill Cosby and no doubt she will find many conservative allies in people like Thomas Sowell and Walter E. Williams.

Kane

I don't know about you, Kane, but I know that if I were working up the courage to blurt out this comment, I'd be throwing in a few "uhs' and "ums".

Ms Lewis said;" So, um, the first thing I want to say, Mike, is thank you for hosting this and moderating this panel. um Iiii, I'm a product of Chicago Public Schools. My parents were both Chicago Public School teachers. My, uh, husband is a retired public school teacher. I have a sister in law who is retired from Chicago Public Schools so for me, it's almost genetic and I have seen the profession of teaching go from one in which it was considered, um, very prestigious to one that is constantly ridiculed, and, um, basically, uh, discarded and we feel, by and large, it's due to the fact that we serve, um, a predominantly, uh, working, and uh, and quite frankly lower class students, uh, and students of color".

Her observations about the correlation between the deterioration of the environment and the demographics served are not different from those of Bill Cosby and no doubt she will find many conservative allies in people like Thomas Sowell and Walter E. Williams.
Many will say it is not a deterioration of the environment, but more so an abandonment of the family unit. In the '60s, less than 25% of black children were born to a single parent. Now, more than 70% are born to a fatherless family unit. A single mother, regardless of her skin color and likely to have several other children, simply cannot provide the nurturing and discipline required for success.

Proper parenting and "fathering" is left to the schools. Or worse yet, gangs.

No wonder.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I commend you on your abtility to pick out racist comments when made by others. Any comment implying one race is inherently superior to another is racist. I think I have been consistant, no matter who says it, a racist comment is a racist comment.

bolded part inplys racial superiority, or inferiority whichere.

And I beleive your quote there on the last line or so was changed a bit so it is no longer technically racist, The implication blacks, as a race, dont work and are trained to live off the governemnt makes it a racist comment.

"To the point where I feel that blacks can be just as intelligent as other races if they apply themselves and work (not live off of the government like most have been trained to do)" this implys or actually states they are not as intelligent because they dont apply themselfs (lazy) and are trained to live off the government. See the difference?

I think I might be getting through to you. :clap:

Um, no. My stance is, and always will be, the same. As stated many times, nobody is going to convince me that the color of a person's skin has any relation to their intelligence. Try as you may to change it, that has always been my position. Unfortunately, yes, the government has indeed trained generations of black people to not work, not study hard in school or worry about any of those sort of things because all they know is that the government gives them housing and gives them food. They then feel there is no incentive to better themselves, and don't.

If given proper incentives, not just handing them more money or blowing more money at their schools that continue the same failed curriculum, there is no reason for there to be any difference between the colors. Until black people want to better themselves, they never will. Rewarding good behavior and not bad behavior would certainly help. Right now our system rewards them for bad behavior and that is how the Democrats want to keep it so people of color don't become every bit as educated as other people. Heavens forbid! If they did that, it's very likely they would not vote straight ticket Democrat with absolutely no knowledge of their candidates. If you don't believe me, I can direct you to hours of footage where people were interviewed and asked why they support (insert McCain's policies) Obama. 100% of the ones I've seen surveyed thought McCain's policies were just fantastic when they believed they were the policies of Obama; meaning they have no clue about Obama yet they still vote for him.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Folks can run with the results of JP Rushton's studies if they like however, I think more relevant are the studies that demonstrate the effects of neglect on development.

What little information is known, confirmed through research, concludes that "neglect during early childhood can produce pervasive "developmental delay and longterm neurological abnormalities.
Bruce D. Perry, [FONT=BookAntiqua,Italic][FONT=BookAntiqua,Italic]The Neurodevelopmental Costs of Adverse Childhood Events, [FONT=BookAntiqua,Italic][FONT=BookAntiqua,Italic]in [/FONT][/FONT]THE COST OFCHILD MALTREATMENT: WHO PAYS? WE ALL DO (B. Geffner ed., Haworth Press 2000),[FONT=BookAntiqua,Italic][FONT=BookAntiqua,Italic]available at [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]http://www.childtrauma.org/ctamaterials/Neuroarcheology.asp [hereinafterTHE COST OF CHILD MALTREATMENT].

We are all products of our environment. I'm sure that their are numerous studies of the psychosocial environments of the lower working class and the low income people of color and how it effects their psycho-social development. Studies have been done of children in Chinese orphanages who have been relatively sensory deprived and they are grossly developmentally delayed. Anecdotally, I recently cared for a 2 yr old Chinese child who had been adopted but had spent her first yr and a half in an orphanage. Though she had made a little progress, she was severely delayed neurologically and physically. She was functioning at a 5-6 month level and could not walk. To comfort herself, she would hit the side of her face constantly to the point she had a huge bruise on her cheek.

IF we are going to believe in a creator who is intimately involved in the lives of his creation, we cannot believe that the father in heaven would endow a certain group of His children with more favorable attributes. If we do, then to me, that indicates that God is created in man's image and not the other way around.

Kane

Folks can run with the results of JP Rushton's studies if they like however, I think more relevant are the studies that demonstrate the effects of neglect on development.
Without a doubt, the cards are stacked against the inner city black child and reversing this unfortunate trend must begin with re-establishment of the traditional family unit. Since the sixties trillions of dollars have been thrown at the problem. But without a caring, nurturing family unit - particularly a permanent father figure - government monies and reparation programs are for naught.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I think this quote is particularly relevant. "We are all products of our environment. I'm sure that their are numerous studies of the psychosocial environments of the lower working class and the low income people of color and how it effects their psycho-social development."

Now, all you need to do is get back to where we were before the brain dead hippies from the 60's got elected into political positions. For some reason, they cannot grasp the fact that doing the same thing over and over will net the same results. Giving billions away and blowing billions on failed social programs over and over again just doesn't cut it. As already mentioned, we need to somehow get certain population groups from believing that marriage or being responsible for a baby are acceptable. Many black men brag about how women they got pregnant. Personally, I think they should be arrested and put on a work release program with 90% or so of what they make being taken from their check and given to the women raising the babies. Then, I think those women need to prove that they are spending that money for the benefit of that child.

That may sound harsh, but with being a "sperm donor" or a "cum machine" being considered cool, we will continue to have major problems. The percentage of illigimate black children being born should send huge "PROBLEM" signals to black leaders, but it doesn't. Ever see "black leaders" organizing a march or protest for their out of control illigimate birth rates? I haven't.

mak2

I guess I missed this, was knda busy today. I did not say your statement about blacks being as intelligent as anyone...was racist. I pointed out the rest of your statement was, by any definition, racist. I did not change it for you, you changed it yourself, let me help refersh your memory.

"To the point where I feel that blacks can be just as intelligent as other races if they apply themselves and work (not live off of the government like most have been trained to do)"

I have tried to explain the bolded part is without question racist. I have not been trying to change your statemtent, you did. I see you must now understand because you editied it out before your brought it up again. Maybe we are getting somewhere. er maybe not, I just seen the until black people want to better themselves line below. Maybe there is no hope.

Um, no. My stance is, and always will be, the same. As stated many times, nobody is going to convince me that the color of a person's skin has any relation to their intelligence. Try as you may to change it, that has always been my position. Unfortunately, yes, the government has indeed trained generations of black people to not work, not study hard in school or worry about any of those sort of things because all they know is that the government gives them housing and gives them food. They then feel there is no incentive to better themselves, and don't.

If given proper incentives, not just handing them more money or blowing more money at their schools that continue the same failed curriculum, there is no reason for there to be any difference between the colors. Until black people want to better themselves, they never will. Rewarding good behavior and not bad behavior would certainly help. Right now our system rewards them for bad behavior and that is how the Democrats want to keep it so people of color don't become every bit as educated as other people. Heavens forbid! If they did that, it's very likely they would not vote straight ticket Democrat with absolutely no knowledge of their candidates. If you don't believe me, I can direct you to hours of footage where people were interviewed and asked why they support (insert McCain's policies) Obama. 100% of the ones I've seen surveyed thought McCain's policies were just fantastic when they believed they were the policies of Obama; meaning they have no clue about Obama yet they still vote for him.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry Mac, just like Dragnet; just the facts. If you insist on claiming I am a racist, I will insist you are a 100% pure Communist. Make sense?

mak2

Yep, probably makes perfect sense to you. You make racist comments all the time, but your are not a racist (denial). I have said many pro capitalist things and in fact am only pro universial healthcare becasue it is the most bang for the buck and most effecient system in the world. Not exactly communist, but whatever. I dont insist, I just point out your racist statements. You probably ought to let this go, talk about me stirring shit.
Sorry Mac, just like Dragnet; just the facts. If you insist on claiming I am a racist, I will insist you are a 100% pure Communist. Make sense?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Quit it mak. There are tons of 'racist' statements in this thread because why? Because the thread is about race. Duh. :bonk: Get off your high horse and move on. Talk about the topic and not about how you judge other members statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.