• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

UTV Search

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Okay. I admit, I wasn't a believer in UTV's. But now I think I'm ready to take the first step. For my property I think this would suit me much better than an ATV. Now, I admit to knowing next to nothing, so I need help.:eek: Who has one?

What kind?

What do you *DISLIKE* about it? (important, please don't ignore this question.)

What do you like about it?

I'd like to spend $3-5k on a used Mule or similar work oriented unit. Is this realistic?

( my driveway is 1/2 mile long, so walking is too time consuming )

I don't wanna trail ride or go fast, okay? Just looking at an alternative to a used 4x4 ATV that 2 people can ride in/on.

Attachments

• after 11.JPG
    after 11.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 671

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Av8r,

I have a big, long winded post open in another window but it needs more info before I post.

Tell us what you want a UTV (or ATV) to do for you.

Brian

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I'm looking for a vehicle that:
  1. the wife can operate easily
  2. haul some things for her from the barn to the garden and back
  3. help with planting (watering) a bunch of new trees
  4. mailbox runs (that whole 1/2 mile driveway thing)
  5. giving some "tours" of the property to my elderly Mom and others who would not otherwise see much more than the driveway
  6. things too small for the pickup, but, too big for the wheelbarrow
  7. provide transportation around the property
Not expected form the vehicle:
  1. trail riding / racing - recreational use, although it will provide enjoyment, right?
  2. plowing snow
  3. heavy woods work (tractor stuff, y'know?)
  4. road work

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, it sounds like a general purpose type of UTV would meet your needs (not an extreme work or play machine).

The RTV's and Rhino's are new and therefore even the oldest ones would be over $7000 so I'll skip those.

That pretty much narrows it down to a Mule, Gator, Ranger or one of the off brands (Yerf Dog, Chuck Wagon...).

You'll get better quality and support on either the Mule, Gator or Ranger.

Although the Polaris Ranger has been out for almost 10 years now, I rarily see them anywhere that are more than about 5-7 years old. I don't know if that's their life-expectancy... :confused:

I would think either the Mule or Gator would work well. In the price range you gave, I'm thinking you're probably going to be better off with a little bit older 4WD model than an newer 2WD especially for winter use.

I've also pondered whether a golf cart (Ez-Go, Club Car...) would work. They have gas versions with ele. lift cargo boxes that work pretty well for relatively light chores. My experience is that they're more tempermental in cold weather and being only 2wd, it may severly limit any driving in snow or off hard surfaces but if it's a seasonal light-duty work vehicle, it may be an option.

Have you considered a mini-truck?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PS. With the exception of the tours, an ATV with trailer would work well.

Prior to getting a UTV, for tours, I built what's now known as "The Clampett".

Remember the car on the Beverly Hillbillies? Now, remember the seat way up high in the back that Granny sat in? I made a chair like that which would go on the back of the tractor.

Here's what I did.
I made a 4' seat out of one of those swinging benches that mounts on a pallet that I lift with a carry-all off the tractor's 3-point hitch.
I could lower it to the ground for passengers to get on, then lift it up to the appropriate height so they could get a good view.
I had all kinds of bells/whistles on it. It was also mounted to the carry-all for passenger safety.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I have basically 3 UTV's. Two of are the conventional type and one is rather unconventional for the type. For fun, very brutal terrain and blasting around, I don't think the Yamaha Rhino can be beat. (read; if I thought anything would be better, I'd buy it) I've had 3 Gators over the years and had really good service out of them. They were all the 6X4 type and I found that they do very well except in deep water, deep snow or deep mud. They will haul much more than you can put in the bed without issue and take a lickin'. I've had so much weight in the bed of my last one that it wouldn't turn because the front wheels were only brushing across the ground.:eek:

I'd forgotten that I did have a Mule about 8 years ago for about a summer. For some reason that eludes me right now, I just didn't like the Mule. To the best of my recall, I think it felt "loose", looked ugly, and was difficult to start in the morning. I had a neighbor who heard me complaining about it and he offered to buy it if I disliked it so much. He had it for about a year.

I also have a Kubota RTV. I bought one of the very first RTV's out. I seemed to have all of the 1st year bugs. At one point as Brian can tell you, I was ready to dump it. However, after the initial minor issues were worked out, it has become my favorite workhorse. It is chosen most often for duty around here and gets all the 'dirty' work since it is basically a mini dump truck. The fuel injection in the smooth 3 cyl. diesel is hard to beat along with the power steering, four wheel drive combined with the fact that it is extremely easy on fuel. For just putting around, I'd bet that you can get almost 40 hours on a tank of fuel. I have pictures of taking both my grandmother and grandfather all over my property in it. They were both in their upper 90's and had never seen the parts of my property I was able to easily take them to see with the RTV. It seems to be the softest, but not mushy, riding UTV I've driven. However, as Brian correctly pointed out, you won't find one for the range you are talking about right now.

My Rhino is taken along when going to my remote property not only to be able to take more people, but for it's ability to get to areas that no other UTV I have will reach. Two feet of water, hills you can't walk up and knee deep mud are nothing but a small obstacle for the Rhino. It will also run nearly 60 mph and can go through 20" of snow. For many reasons it is nice, but would not be a fit for what you want.

The last thing I have that I use as an UTV is a Jeep Cherokee Classic. I can seat 5 in it, go most everywhere I want with it, not leave anymore tracks than my lawn mower and it was purchased for a price that was in the range you indicated. I know it sounds odd, but the only thing it won't do is carry an open load in the back and fit into tight trails. For the money spent for a relatively nice Jeep, I couldn't have bought even an average ATV. Besides, I wanted at least one sort of UTV that would be street legal and I could drive up to my property. Now I just need to see what sort of winch I can buy that will fit into the Reese Hitch on the back for when I get it stuck. So far, I've been impressed as to where it will go without it being jacked up with a lift kit. I just put a good set of P235 heavy lug tires on it and away I went. I have a feeling my poor Jeep isn't going to like me much after a few years. :eek: But, hey, I have seen that even rough Jeep Cherokees seem to bring good money. Since I wouldn't use the Jeep for carrying an open load of dirt or anything, the Jeep was my choice rather than a mini-truck.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I have this for "dirty pickup" work and snow plowing. ($2500, btw.)

plow.JPG

I also have a "borrowed" 250 Polaris atv (2wd) with a 4' x 4' trailer that would be replaced by the UTV. That is it's main job for now. I'm thinking when the L3400 is paid off, I'll look at a new Diesel UTV (Mule or Kubota or Deere) but for now a cheaper used unit is what I need.

Now, I need to put together a list of the models (gas, 4x4, manual dump bed) to look for. I've looked at a Mule and like it, but I haven't been able to compare it to anything else.

Attachments

• high speed pass 2.JPG
    high speed pass 2.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 643

Grooming Snow

Have a Prowler from Arctic cat & paid $9,000, best money I ever spent, the ride and handling ,just can't beat it.We have a 2000 4x4 AC atv 500cc and now it just sits , use it only when & if the prowler is in use. Would never buy a ATV again UTV is the way to go.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Grooming Snow said:
Would never buy a ATV again UTV is the way to go.

Here, here (clink of glasses tapping together in a toast) :beer:, I'll drink to that. I just wish Honda made one. I raced Honda and Yamaha in motocross and have always been fans of them. I love my Rhino, but I'd still be interested in an offering from Honda. I'm glad to hear you like your Artic Cat. I have no dealer network close to me for them, so I'll just have to hear the great stories from you on how well you like yours. Good luck with it! (not implying that you'll have any trouble). :thumb:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
FYI - I think this is somewhere on the forum, but I bought an EZ-Go Workhorse 800G. It's basically a golf cart with a small utility bed on the back instead of a club rack. 295cc twin cylinder robin motor with a blistering 8hp. It will do 90% of what I need for now. Maybe someday when I have an extra $10k burning a hole in my pocket I'll get a Rhino, but untill then, this will do nicely.

Attachments

• Workhorse1.JPG
    Workhorse1.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 580

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Av8r - A fine looking machine. If you're interested in one, a roof and windshield are a nice option and should be relatively easy to find.

I'm with Dargo and Grooming Snow... Once I got a UTV, the ATV's just sit. I sold most of my ATV's after finding they just sit around. I kept one for doing lawn chores (rolling, fertilizing...) since the RTV is too big/heavy for those.

Grooming Snow - Check out www.ridesidebyside.com. They have a good forum section on the Prowler if you need info.

Brian

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Well I am stuck with the ATV as our local trail system limits the width of a vehicle to something like 50 inches maximum. We do use the ATV for all types of work related projects on and around our properties. When we do go out riding for pleasure, the wife and I usually double up so we can converse and not get as dusty and dirty following each other. We have many miles of trails in the Big Horn Mtns to use the ATV. Some of the snowmobile trail system has been opened to ATV travel to make large loop trails to enjoy. Maybe someday I will be able to justify the UTV as they do look like they would be fun and useful.

Grooming Snow

:pat: That what we have here in Wis, same thing on the trails but it's only 48" , but the DNR is looking at opening the atv trails to the UTV's It's a money thing ! Don't do much trail riding, use it on the farm and have to have 4 wheel drive , did looked at a 2 drive when my dad was still living , though that would let him get around the farm better than his lawn mower :tiphat: But he said to just take the deck of his old mower , man he would bomb around with that

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
bczoom said:
... a roof and windshield are a nice option and should be relatively easy to find. ...

I had the guys at Yogi's put the roof on right away. I'm holding off on the windshield to see if (at 12 mph max) it's really needed.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Av8r3400 said:
I had the guys at Yogi's put the roof on right away. I'm holding off on the windshield to see if (at 12 mph max) it's really needed.
If you're going to use it in the winter, you'll appreciate the windshield. :thumb:

Grooming Snow

bczoom said:
If you're going to use it in the winter, you'll appreciate the windshield. :thumb:
I now know that in summer they can be a big help! At 40 mph on a Prowler gota F--king bee down the my shirt:pat: Not so funny when it you:smileywac
:whistle: But then my kid said to me (man) just think if that would have been a Humming bird:yum: She said then she could call me dart board DADDY Little smart ass !!!