• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

This is a rant on how poorly veterans are treated:

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
This is a rant on how poorly veterans are treated: Parades twice a year on Veterans and Memorial day don't make up for poor treatment.
I think that they should be honored more than twice a year on Veterans and Memorial day.

I get a bit cynical - NOT in anyway towards the soldiers and Veterans but towards the media and politicians who make a holiday with parades about this twice a year.

My uncle served in WW TWO in some of the worst fighting in Germany and got no honors. Instead he came back and was an alcoholic due to post traumatic stress disorder. Back then it was just call "shell shock" and no one helped the men with that.

My father wasn't in a combat zone but was stationed in a hell hole doing what needed to be done. He contracted amoebic dysentary which ruined his health but was denied benefits because having constant diarrhea wasn't considered battle related.
I've known many men who did their duties and came back unhonored and physically and emotionally scarred.
I sure do think that vets should be honored (women vets as well) everyday not just twice a year.

And no I never was in the military (even if I wouldn't have been 4F which I was always lead to believe I would have been;) my father never encouraged it. Since I was 18 shortly after the end of the Vietnam War he saw how poorly those veterans were treated. I sure hope that those vets from the middle east are treated better.

Now the liberal bleeding hearts cry about the dropping of Atomic bombs on the Japanese as they drive their Toyotos and Nissans. They don't acknowledge the lives (both Japanese and American) that were saved by quickly ending the war.

I do indeed think we should honor the Vets everyday.

Sorry for the ramble and I know that as someone who was never in the military I probably have no moral right to make it. However due to my freedom of speech that the military preserves for us I can.

I see that B. O. the "commander in chief" who never server in the military proclaimed Memorial day as a day of "Peace" - http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...l-proclamation-prayer-peace-memorial-day-2013

Peace of the dead I guess; America's DEAD SOLDIERS!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
In my town I've been retired almost 8 years now the kids around town still salute me. I think it's kind of cool this town was quite supportive of their home town hero's who went to the war when duty called but we also have a rich history of people who served all the way back to the civil war, that is another story I only recently learned of. The one I can't get over is the way the government treats vets, the va hospital will see me in anchorage but, getting there is on my dime at $500.00 a round trip. So as you can guess they never see me and there for my injury's I sustained over there have never been looked at. If the us government would use some of the wasted foreign aide money on the veterans we may be could get a few to a hospital and I would hope they start with vets that need the help more than I

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Since the first Gulf war the citizens of this country have been treating veterans quite well, a very nice change from the time
I came home. Now, we need to get our government to do the right thing.

While Nidal Hassan continues to collect his pay while awaiting his Courts-Martial, those he shot at Ft Hood are in
many cases living on Ramen noodles. Since some nitwit in DC decided that it was "workplace violence" rather than terrorism,
they are not entitled to any war-related benefits. Some folks in Congress are trying to get DoD to change that ruling, but in
the meantime these people have been hung out to dry; this is a stain on our national honor. These are victims of the war
on terror as surely as if they received their wounds in the sandbox. :ermm: