• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stinkin' Cable Company

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
The bypass light on the cable box lit up that never had done that before. After that the VCR side in my DVD/VCR combo wouldn't work at all (except to turn the tape) & DVD part played but I got no sound. Chat support yesterday wouldn't say why "bypass" light was lit (or what it means) neither would the technician that was here today.

Today the tech replaced cable & that got the DVD player side working fine (I now had sound) still the VCR side wouldn't work. Tech replaced cable box & VHS still would not work. The tape turns in the unit (could hear it) but wouldn't project/play onto TV - so bottom line is tech said the VCR part is broken & it's not their fault. This just seems to coincidental to me.
I tried DVD/VCR hooked to my TV in my bedroom & only the DVD part works.
My theory is that I got some kind of "surge" from the cable box & that burnt out the VCR component of my unit.
Actually I have a line I can hook to my laptop & play DVDs on the TV through that so I was more worried about the VCR not working. I may move out my other VCR or buy a used 1 to hook into living room TV. If I do that I can't use the DVD/VCR combo in the living room because there won't be enough room for that (or even just a plain DVD player) & VCR & Cable box in my entertainment center. Lack of room was why I was using a combo unit to begin with.
At least I didn't get a service charge because he said the cables were bad

& that's their responsibility to replace.
Do you think that it's just coincidence that the "bypass" light lit & the cable line from the DVD/VCR combo unit went out at the same time that the VCR part of it stopped working?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't go much for 'coincidence' .....sounds like you had a power surge that got both the cable box and the dvd/vcr unit.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I tried my VCR from my bedroom but couldn't figure out how to hook it up right.
I may get another one and get somebody to help me hook it up.
I don't have room for both a VCR & a DVD player because the cable box takes up room. However like I said I can play DVDs from the laptop.