• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Military Service

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
I would like to extend a heartfelt thanks as well to those who did and do serve. Most all my family did to some extent and I have a couple of nephews who are Army Reserve and curently deployed. Despite my overwhelming desire to enlist, Uncle Sam wouldn't take me due to lack of vision in my left eye (Birth issue). It didn't stop me from trying to join though, which is a pretty funny story.

A childhood friend of mine (early 70's) had an older brother (oldest of 6 kids) who had been RA went Reserves and finally Guard. A lifer of sorts. We were so into the military thing that he would arrainge for us to spend time with his Mechanized Infantry unit at the armory and other events. I studied all the training manuals I could get my hands on, all the way thru E5. The guys taught me how to assemble and disassemble various weapons. They'd explain the ins and outs of various vehicles they used. We would talk tactics and stuff too. By the time I was to graduate HS I was psyched. I just knew the "ARMY" life was for me. Kind of like "Alices Restuarant"....lol Anyway, I trapes into the local recruiters office lookin to kick some tail. I score a 96 on my ASVAB. The recruiter couldn't stop wipin the slobber off his chin. We discussed AIT talked about counter intelligence and other MOS choices.

Comes time to go for my physical (Newark, NJ). There had to be 200 people in this place all walkin around in thier underwear gettin poked and prodded and measured and stuff. To this point I still had no idea how I was gonna get past the eye exam. :confused2: As luck would have it, it was the last exam for me. (in more ways than one) I'm standing in line waiting my turn to go into this room where a Navy 2 striper is sitting at the table writing and stamping and giving instructions as each person would walk up and stick thier face on one of those exam machines they use at the Driver License office. I noticed that every time someone would step up, this seaman would bark out directions and write and stamp and never look up at the machine. I figured out how I was gonna beat the system.:drama:

I step up to the machine,"Right eye" he barks. I read with my right eye (the good one) Thank God. "Ok, Left eye" he says. Ever so gently and slowly I slide my head to the left and start reading the lines. He looks up at me and says "WTF are you doing?" "Reading the lines like you asked me to", I replied. "Your supposed to use your left eye" he says. "Oh, That one doesn't work very well" I said matter of fact like....:yum: :yum: :yum:

Needless to say, that was the extent of my military career. BTW...I had to sit in the back of the van on the way home. I'm sure if he would have had his druthers, the recruiter would have made me walk back.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Bump for same reason. Members of the Coast Guard are allowed to reply... :rolleyes: :poke:

I went into the Coast Guard to avoid the Draft...lol Anyway, I figured it would be more noble to save people than killing them. Even got a notice from the Draft board addressed to me at the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Sorrel, stating that I was in violation for not reporting to be drafted. Showed the letter to the Captain, he laughed and wadded it up and tossed it out the porthole in his office and said "Let them come and get you"....

Well the first night in Boot Camp, standing at attention butt naked with 90 other guys doing the same thing, and our "New" Company Commander was intoducing himself to us and screaming at us that we were somewhere between Whale shit and Maggots (I fully believed he thought we were now Marines or I had gotton on the wrong bus at the airport).

Then he started to tell us in a loud screaming voice as if we were deaf or a quarter of a mile away, the history of the CG. He informed us that the Coast Guard was the oldest US military service (4 August 1790 the Coast Guard was created, after the American Revolutution the Navy and Marines were disbanded and put out of exisitance, it wasn't until 1798, July 11 - President John Adams officially signs a bill in to law, creating the US Marines. although they try to claim 1775 but there was no U.S.A. at the time, so pretty shady effort on the Marines/Navy part to act older, must be leftover behavor of trying to buy beer underage) and was formed to stop smuggling operations that were aimed at bringing in goods to the new United States and avoiding paying the taxes, so as pay, the crew got a share of the booty siezed. (so now we are Pirates!!???) The crews were "Drafted" by "Recruiters" going into the harbor bars and finding the biggest, baddest sea slime, thumping him on the head so that he came to at sea... recruited.. Once they found out they got a cut of doing what they did before being recruited, they did a pretty bang up job.

One CG (Cutter Revenue Service at that time) sailing ship was sent to the Caribbean and within 50 years had wiped out much of the pirates since it appears that they were worse than the pirates...

Then he started to tell us about the history of the CG and that During WWII the CG had the highest percentage of losses of any service (this small detail was left out by the recuiter), they ran all the landing craft at Normandy and manned the Guns on the Merchant Marine Ships that were getting sunk by the German U-boats.

Then he started to tell how the Coast Guard was serving in Viet Nam on Rivers and Coastal Patrols (Again, the recruiter left out some small details). We were finely allowed to put on our "Green Slime" outfits until we were issued real uniforms... These "Slime Outfits" looked just like the Marine uniforms of the day...turns out they were!

Anyway, I was in seven years and it was an adventure.... Got out after seven years as an E-6 over Six and still qualified for Food Stamps at the pay grades then. Carter was President and trying to change the retirement system to where after 20 you didn't get retirement until 65. Couldn't see living at below average wages for twenty years and then try to go out and get a real job... Reagan up'd the pay quite a bit when he got in, but I was out by then.

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have some thoughts about the rest of your post but only have a minute.

screaming at us that we were somewhere between Whale shit and Maggots (I fully believed he thought we were now Marines or I had gotton on the wrong bus at the airport).
Just so you know, Marines aren't referred to as whale shit. Not 100% sure, but he may have mixed us up with Squids. It's a common mistake for those in the CG considering their IQ. Maggots, is the preferred and most commonly used term. It doesn't matter, we're all green on the inside.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I have some thoughts about the rest of your post but only have a minute.

Just so you know, Marines aren't referred to as whale shit. Not 100% sure, but he may have mixed us up with Squids. It's a common mistake for those in the CG considering their IQ. Maggots, is the preferred and most commonly used term. It doesn't matter, we're all green on the inside.

Whale puke was used a lot during that period too.... I don't think he was picking on any one service, I just figured I had gotton on the wrong bus by that time...

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I have not been in the military, but have the utmost respect for those who have, and who are serving, and especially for those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

I have family members who were. My Grandfather was in the thick of the forest fighting in France, WWI. He had a mustard gas cough the rest of his life.

I got my Grandfather a personalized brick in the "Walk of Honor" at the Veteran's Memorial in Placerville, Ca. I get a chill in my spine, and tears in my eyes, every time I walk through there. I have the greatest of respect for all who have, and do wear a US Armed Forces uniform.

Had an aunt and an uncle from my Mom's side of the family in US Army in the '50's. My other uncle, from my Dad's side was a USAF air traffic controller in Greenland in the late '60's. My FIL was US Army in WWII.

I have adopted the USS-Hornet though... It is a museum now; my son and I have been there a number of times, for day trips and thier overnite program(as part of our local Boy Scout program). Amazing the history in CV12, and CV8 before her.

I have also had the great pleasure of meeting the man in the attached video. He served on the USS Hornet, flying F4U's, and the first jets on carriers. I have had the opportunity to tour parts of the ship with him. A living legend to me.

I also had the pleasure of meeting the guy in the video, his best mate, who lands an F4U a little off to the side when catching the arrestor. He was a docent at the Palm Springs Air Mueum. I was looking around the F4U there, when he came up. Turned out he flew lots of missions off CV12 in F4U's. We ended up talking for an hour will my wife and son finally drug me away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq61EV-FqYw

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
U.S. Coast Guard from OCT 86 til JAN 91. Spent time in Alaska, Hawaii (twice) New York City, Duluth, and of course, winter in Cape May N.J. Talk about fun!!:yum:

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Now AFF and the rest of you on active duty serving your country...

Don't, even for a minute, get confused about your backing and support by the american people..We are very proud of you, for your efforts, and the courage it took to enlist and serve as you have been asked to do.

The protestors are not serving. They are not brave enough to.:loser: The real support for you comes from the silent majority in this country.. the citizens who's houses go silent when news of the war comes on, the people who include you in their prayers, the ones that look at the flag and have pride, because they know that it is more than just fabric.
The only ones who really care what the protestors think are the politicians, because, unfortunatly, protestors can also vote.

The people who deserve your efforts are with you in spirit, are proud of you and will be proud of you and you sacrifices for the rest of their lives. :respect:

rico304

U.S. Navy Seabees 73-95
Active and Reserves
Guess that makes me a lifer.

Ditto on branch and unit. ( I was a CE)

:thumb:
My active time was only from 86-87
w/ 5 yrs reserve (SAM program)

Joined Police department in 88. I see a ton of guys that served
come to work with me.
How did you survive 23 years with those nuts! hahaha
(Just kidding. I enjoyed my short active time very much. ((but they were nuts:yum: ))

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
USN/USNR (SAM program) 1/85-10/88 (Early limbo becuase of a bad case of "kneezles") USNR-I 10/88-4/91

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
AFF- Don't let the jerks make you think the rest of us don't appreciate your service. As your Mom and Dad can tell you, I spent more than a little time in Viet Nam myself and know how disheartening it can be to turn on T.V. and see the lunatic fringe being covered as though they represented the majority. They don't. We AMERICANS are simply gratefull there are still enough of you kids with real blood in your viens to pick up the torch of freedom and carry it to other lands in order to insure our safety. God Bless you and thanks for the sacrifices you make for us daily.

J.P.

Amen Brother!!!!!!.

I come from the UK where they can't Shanghai enough people into the military to make up a girls volleyball team. It always amazes me that this country, with all its reported lethargy and indifference, can field the military forces and expertise that it does. That is something to be proud of and we thank you for it.

A couple of years ago I was down in Houston, staying in a hotel. I went down to the bar in the hotel one night and there was a table of "squadies", army guys there. I sent over a table of drinks to them just to show my appreciation and every one of them came over and thanked me personally. I don't mean just a raised glass and a nod of the head, I mean they actually came over and shook my hand and thanked me. Mothers of America, you are doing something right in raisinig your kids. God bless this country, I love it. :flagusa: :flagusa:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Amen Brother!!!!!!.

I come from the UK where they can't Shanghai enough people into the military to make up a girls volleyball team. It always amazes me that this country, with all its reported lethargy and indifference, can field the military forces and expertise that it does. That is something to be proud of and we thank you for it.

A couple of years ago I was down in Houston, staying in a hotel. I went down to the bar in the hotel one night and there was a table of "squadies", army guys there. I sent over a table of drinks to them just to show my appreciation and every one of them came over and thanked me personally. I don't mean just a raised glass and a nod of the head, I mean they actually came over and shook my hand and thanked me. Mothers of America, you are doing something right in raisinig your kids. God bless this country, I love it. :flagusa: :flagusa:

Well said and done Frank! :thumb:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Amen Brother!!!!!!.

Thank you!

Cityboy

Banned
bumpity.gif

Decided to bump this thread that BCZoom started a long time ago so our newer members, or folks who missed it can post their service & dates.

I was in the USMC during the same time period as BC was, and I think we were at Parris Island at the same time in different battalions. Small world.

If you served, jump in and give a shout out. You never know who you may have crossed paths with here.

oega.gif
Semper Fi

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I was in the Army and the Navy in 1942.... but it was a game. :sad:
Battlefield 1942. Im in awe of what you folks will do and have done. :flagusa:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
USMC 66-72. Camp Pendleton, DaNang, Phu-Bai, Hue City.

My hat is off to you sir :tiphat: You served in some of the worst places there were in Nam.
I recently watched "Apocalypse Now". I had seen parts of it but never sat down and watched the entire movie because of the subject matter. Much like the "We Are Marshall" movie I felt I knew the story to well and didn't want reminded of the details. I served in Nam and got the combat pay and ribbon etc. But I was floating around on a big boat (Ammo ship). Totally different kind of service. Fighting in the swamps and woods of Viet-nam would have been a nightmare.

Welcome to FF mtwaterguy!!!!
Enjoy and post often. :thumb:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I have never served in the forces but have many a friend that do and have.

little of topic but my country said a final farewell to one of our one troops today and wish to mention him and salute him.....so young but more man than many.

A heroic teenage soldier killed in Afghanistan has been laid to rest with full military honours.
Nathan Cuthbertson Funeral
Colleagues carry the coffin

Private Nathan Cuthbertson died alongside two colleagues when a suicide bomber detonated an explosive device in Helmand Province on June 8.

The popular 19-year-old, from the 2nd Battalion the Parachute Regiment, was buried at Monkwearmouth Cemetery after a full military funeral at Sunderland Minster.

Around 850 people filled the church to pay their respects while hundreds more watched the service from a giant TV screen in the grounds.
Advertisement

A seven-man colour party from the regiment carried the coffin, draped with a Union flag and Pte Cuthbertson's maroon beret, into the Minster.

A guard of honour formed of past and present members of the regiment lined up outside.

His parents Tom and Carla, and younger brothers Connan, 15, and Blaine, 14, said he was a hero who died doing the job he loved.

They said he "realised a childhood dream by following in his father's footsteps to join the Army".

They added that he was "quick to make friends" which was evident at the service where his colleagues described him as a "mega bloke" with a good sense of humour, who was always first to volunteer for duties.

Addressing the service, Major Sam McGrath, from 2 Para, said: "He died doing his duty and doing his best for the people of Afghanistan.

"He understood the importance of his job and the threat he faced as he carried it out. He faced these risks every day with the courage and tenacity for two months of a man twice his age."

A firing volley took place at the burial with the gunners standing behind floral tributes.

Rest in peace and thank you sir.