• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best truck?

Who Makes the Best Pick Up Truck for DaveNay's Needs?

• Ford

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Chevy

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Dodge

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • GMC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toyota

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Nissan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MB Unimog

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • The brand closest to his house with a good service department.

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
OK, I know...that is really a loaded question.

My situation is that my 1993 F150 with 232K miles on it is really sucking the life out of me with repair bills, so I need to replace it. I had hoped to get a better look at the 2007 Toyota Tundra next winter, but it doesn't look like I will be able to hold out that long. Also, I am not sure if I want to pay the premium to get the Toyota name. It sure does look like a sweet truck even though the fact that it will be the first year of a new model concerns me.

So this brings me around to Ford, Chevy and Dodge.

The Ram trucks are getting a little long in the tooth with design and capabilities, and 10 years ago, they were my choice. Not so sure now.

The Chevy trucks are getting really old now, and I believe the new ones won't be out until 2007 or 2008....too long to wait. This means that there is no interest in making any major improvements in the current platform.

This brings me back around to the F150. Ford seems to have really put a lot of thought into the current design, and the capabilities, style and pricing all seem to be hitting the sweet spot in the market.

If anyone has some objective opinions, without any of the "I hate Dodge, buy a Chevy" stuff, I'd really appreciate a little more insight.

Thanks!

Bu Yong Xie

My thoughts are to find a clean 02 - 04 F-150 and run it until the second year Tundras come out. This will give you the time to research the Tundra and give time for Toyota to work out any bugs from the new model year.

I am also looking at the new Tundras in a couple of years, my 02 Ford only has 72,000 miles so I should be good.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Opps, mis-read your post, sorry.

Dodge was re-designed in 2003, all new truck for what it's worth.

Buy another beater for a year and go for the Toyota. Of any of the brands you listed these would be the only one I'd buy a first year production vehicle.

Just do it. Whacha' gonna do take it with you? :whistle:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave, I saw your truck, its got at least another 40 or 50 miles left in it!!!

I have a few friends who swear by Ford F150's and F250's. They seem to think they are great designs, rugged and reliable. I recently purchased a Chevy (last summer) and am very happy with it, its used to pull a trailer and as a service truck for maintainence and repairs in the field, not much heavy hauling but plenty of driving.

Personally, I prefer a vehicles that are not new designs. 2 or 3 year old designs are better because the bugs are often worked out. The Chevy is not as good looking as the Ford, but it was a great deal and that is what I was looking for (its a work truck).

Honestly when I was shopping I don't think I could have made a bad decision between the 3 brands. I ruled out Dodge quickly, but only because Ford & Chevy were offering much hotter deals at the time I was shopping. Between Ford & Chevy I had the option of buying from a Chevy dealer across the street from my office, or a Ford dealer 20 minutes away, both were within a hundred dollars of each other. There is a Ford dealer next to my office, I refuse to deal with him, so the given nearly equal prices, the choice was simple, I chose the close dealership for good service.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Dave; I don't think you could wrong with a newer F-150.

they are the most popular 1/2 tonner out there from what I've heard. Ofcourse I'm a Ford guy myself. But take a look around at what you see the most of. I do know the resale value on a newer Ford is good.:tiphat::beer:

DAP

I will say this about my Toyota. It is so friggin reliable, and will run for such a long time that it has already gotten me bored to pieces. I CONTINUALLY have to remind myself that I bought this vehicle for those exact reasons.

I've had this lil reminder going on for months now cause I want a bigger truck (but have trouble being objective about NEEDING a bigge truck) and the Toyota shows no signs of any reparations whatsoever 'cept may an alignment or new tires.

It is boring me to pieces with its utter reliability. I figure if I get that big (used) Ford I want, I will be compelled to get rid of it because its falling apart and I get to start this process all over again.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I am sold on Toyota reliability--I have owned four. However, the last time I went shopping for one for the wife, I ended up buying Nissan. Toyota was not available with the equipment we wanted--midsize, stick shift, 2WD, Crewcab. Have had no problems to date. However, if you want a larger truck, the Titan reportedly doesn't measure up in fuel economy.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glenn9643 said:
I sure was hoping this was a poll... :confused::D:D

And your wish was just granted.

Please only vote 1 time (especially the people in/near Chicago). As this poll is not in Junkman's Forum we can rest assured that the poll numbers will be unadulterated and accurate.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the Ford pickups the best, but I really dislike their powertrains. Since you are talking about a 1/2 ton pickup, I assume that you will not be hauling anything heavy or towing anything heavy? If so, then I think you are right on with the Toyota or even the Nissan. Both of those trucks perform well and should be very reliable, but they are not in the same league as the domestics in sheer strength of components for handling heavier loads. The Dodge trucks are improved and I see that their powertrains do not have as many issues as the Fords lately (last 6 to 8 years). I used to be a big Chevy fan, but the plain facts kill that for me. Even my dad, after being an absolute die hard Chevy fan for 50 years, has moved away from the Chevy offerings. Hopefully they come back. But, in an effort to save their sinking ship, they have taken more short cuts on their truck than anywhere else in their lineup. Afterall, the pickup and SUV lines are the most profitable for the manufacturers. If you want a 3/4 or 1 ton, things do change a little on what I'd suggest. So far, I have to agree with the guys who advised you to buy another beater until your choice of a Tundra is available as long as you don't do any heavy hauling or towing. Good luck!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
ISince you are talking about a 1/2 ton pickup, I assume that you will not be hauling anything heavy or towing anything heavy?

<snip>

So far, I have to agree with the guys who advised you to buy another beater until your choice of a Tundra is available as long as you don't do any heavy hauling or towing. Good luck!

Brent, what do you consider heavy towing? The F150 can tow up to 9900lbs with factory options. As our business is horses, I really only see us towing max a 3 horse trailer (1500 x 3 + 1000 = 5500 lbs). Or on occasion trailering my tractor (even the new one I am looking at is only 6500lbs).

I don't really want to move up to the Superduties and the similar because of the purchase premium and the operating cost of diesel.

As it stands right now, the beater is still doing good. The problem the other day wasn't that bad. The fuel pump on the front tank went out, so I only can use the rear tank. Not a big deal at all.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I can make it to winter and have a shot at the new Tundra. Every time I look at another model, I get the feeling inside that I am going to be settling for sumething that I don't really want.

Plus the Tundra has factory towing capability of 10,500 lbs. :eek::thumb:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I can make it to winter and have a shot at the new Tundra.

Well, doesn't this just get better? After researching some more online, it appears that GM has pushed up the release date on the redesigned Silverados. They will be available end of this year as a 2007 model. Interestingly, this caused them to drop the engineering work on their new multilink rear suspension, and go ahead with a traditional live rear axle.

I didn't even know they were working on such a critter. :confused: Supposedly, it would allow for a deep bed, without the high rail height of the F150 (now that I have read about it, the high rail height is one of the things I don't like about the F150, I could just never put my finger on why).

Now I have another new option to look forward to. Tundra and Silverado (plus whatever Ford does for 2007 to keep up with the Joneses).

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave, you would be at the very top of what I'd consider towing with a 1/2 ton pickup. I'm more than aware of what the ratings are. I'm also well aware of the myth about a "fudge factor", and that it will really tow more. If you believe in that, yank out a tooth and put it under your pillow and the tooth fairy will get you your new truck. For bragging rights etc., the pickup manufacturers have pumped up their towing ratings to where they are capped out big time. I've towed with a "properly equipped" model at close to what it's rating was, and I'd have no desire to do that very often. To simply be blunt, the 5.4 liter Ford engine will be a complete dog for towing anything up close to it's max rating. Going across town would be one thing, across the state would be quite another. All hype aside, and I'll readily admit that I'm a Ford fan, the 5.4 liter engine is NOT a good powerful towing engine. I've had 3 of them and have driven several more.

Although the Toyota will feel considerably better and more capable towing that the same load, you are again hitting the absolute max I'd consider with that truck. The Titan will pull it the best by far, but it is a bit weak on the braking department and you get pushed around quite a bit. Even the Chevy truck with their 6.0 liter seemed relatively competent in actually pulling the load, but I was not at all impressed with how it handles the load or stops the load. They have a plethera of other issues that there is no need to mention.

The Dodge pickup with their 5.9 seemed to be as capable as any on the pulling and handling of the load. However, their stiffness seemed to take it's toll on empty driving and fuel economy isn't the best.

Based on the fact that you will haul a load that is rather stiff for a 1/2 ton, you may want to drive the Nissan Titan and the Dodge 1/2 ton with the larger engine. From actual experience and numerous reports, they seem to be able to handle that amount the best when loaded.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
...this caused them to drop the engineering work on their new multilink rear suspension, and go ahead with a traditional live rear axle.

Lack of money...

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I have a new 2005 Dodge Power Wagon. It fits my needs perfectly. Has Lockers frnt/rr (selectable) frnt sway bar disconect in cab, 2" lift, Warn 12K winch behind front bumper, Bilstien shocks and Skid plates from froont to back (not you typical skid plates either). All this and its under warranty. My other choice is the new Ford F150. Has a 10K towing capacity and they are the quietest and smoothest truck available today. I really like the Toyotas but they have such a high sticker price! Not worth it at all. All brands today are pretty good. Some have options that fit other peoples needs like the Power Wagon option for me. What ever you get it will be a good vehicle.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Or on occasion trailering my tractor (even the new one I am looking at is only 6500lbs).

Then you must be looking at a Kioti..........thats a heavy tractor :coolshade

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Add the weight of a Mother In Law and I'll bet you'd need a gooseneck trailer and a dually to pull it. And then another truck/trailer for the tractor.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Add the weight of a Mother In Law and I'll bet you'd need a gooseneck trailer and a dually to pull it. And then another truck/trailer for the tractor.

Ahhh Bob, Bob, Bob. I am married the the only daughter of a widowed, successful Slovak woman. (Assistant to the Dean of the MBA program at UIC)

I do not make fun of my mother-in-law. She sends me $500 Home Depot gift cards every couple months, just because she felt like she had too many points on her American Express Rewards account.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Slovak woman. Being a Slovak myself, I'm very familar with elderly Slovak women.

Make it a flatbed & a Kenworth :whistle:

dzalphakilo

Banned
Brian, geez, you fricken quick.

Working on it, made no sense without a photo!

Never mind, can't load a scanned (sp?) document. Just a pic of my grandmother who we lived with when my father was overseas for some time. She died when she was 76, had twelve kids, two husbands, both who died in the mines, and she spent at least eight hours a day working in her garden and three hours each night reading her bible.

Came "over on a boat" in 1932.

Had a classic picture of her in her garden with her "babuska" (sp?) on with a pitchfork in her hand dripping in sweat at age 75.

She was the "classic" Slovak elderly woman ("americanized" name of Kouzip).

Thought with all the hot babe pics here, would fit right in:D

Last edited: