• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rebuild cordless tool batteries

rico304

I know this has been discussed here already, but not sure if this site was mentioned. I am going to call about my dewalt 18v batteries. This could be better than buying a new drill and definately better than buying new batteries at approx. the same cost!

voltmanbatteries Home Page

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good link. I have a couple that need to be tossed, rebuilt or otherwise replaced.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, his prices have gone up! A few years ago I had him rebuild 3 of my 18v DeWalt batteries. Two of them were great and one was a dud. I didn't have much luck getting any satisfaction on the one repaired one that only lasted about a month.

Having said that, I have several 18v DeWalt tools still. The yellow top 18v batteries don't seem to be nearly as good as the older black top ones. I've pitched several yellow top ones that only lasted about a year. I guess I still have about 5 of the 18v batteries and 2 or 3 are okay. I don't know what to do.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
3 options.
first, take them to a battery shop to be rebuilt for about $65 or so apiece. (19 V)
second, take them apart and test each cell to see which ones you can replace yourself to renew the battery.
third - and most dangerous - use the arc welder trick to burn out the "threads" that have grown inside the individual cells that are shorting them out/causing them to not hold charge for any length of time.

rico304

I checked a couple local places and found someone to rebuild my 18V battery for 35.

I think that is a good deal.