Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum

Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum Publications, specifications, production information for snow cats

Old 01-02-2018, 09:01 PM

frostypaws is on a distinguished road
Default Articulated Track Vehicles "The Engineer" Article

Interesting article from the mid-60s on the history and design of articulated tracked vehicles. There are some familiar machines and other one offs too I thought were interesting. I wonder if the Polecat Mark II is still out there, that would be fun to restore!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 53564552articulated-tracked-vehicles-pdf.pdf (4.02 MB, 140 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to frostypaws For This Useful Post:
aaron tucker (01-03-2018), jim slagle  (01-02-2018), Kristi Kt-4 (01-03-2018), Melensdad  (01-02-2018), sno-drifter (01-18-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 09:41 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,815 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Articulated Track Vehicles "The Engineer" Article

Interesting, nice to see that early technical information.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 01-18-2018, 09:30 PM

frostypaws is on a distinguished road

My curiosity got the best of me early this week on WNRE (Wilson Nuttall Raimond Engineering Inc.) soooo... using the power of the internet and my google fu skills I managed to contact the last two remaining engineers that worked there . I didn't realize they were such an innovative company for the time. One of the engineers was kind enough to scan one of the brochures that contained specifications for the vehicles they designed (from 1954-late 60s). Unfortunately only a few of these machines came to fruition, most of them one-offs. I hope you enjoy the history as much as I did!

I have a bunch of other correspondence from them on the formation, development history, personalities of the 'bosses' and eventual downfall, but since I am not a historian, I will hand most of that to the guy who runs the unusual locomotion website, he does good work :).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf WNRE Vehicle Spec's. (1).pdf (4.03 MB, 29 views)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:26 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,018 Times in 425 Posts
redsqwrl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostypaws View Post
Interesting article from the mid-60s on the history and design of articulated tracked vehicles. There are some familiar machines and other one offs too I thought were interesting. I wonder if the Polecat Mark II is still out there, that would be fun to restore!
The killen Straights was a local machine here in the east central WI area.

they are the hope to find someday machine as they were made about 1 mile from my house.......
Old 01-18-2018, 11:48 PM
Tracked Evolution Central

MNoutdoors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostypaws View Post
Thanks for the info, I wouldn’t mind those contacts if possible I have a Musk-OX
Made in the 80’s it was a Dynometer machine made for testing tanks. I would love to get anything on it.
Attached Images

aaron tucker (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 11:11 AM
Bronze Member

aaron tucker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoutdoors View Post
Thanks for the info, I wouldn’t mind those contacts if possible I have a Musk-OX
Made in the 80’s it was a Dynometer machine made for testing tanks. I would love to get anything on it.
I thought of you as soon as I saw this thread .You should get that muskox going it was a beast !