• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I have 3 hurricane 'refugees' staying with me

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My aunt died last week. Memorial services were late last week. Family came in from all over the US.

I had my cousin, wife and his daughter stay with us. Original plan was they were departing on Saturday morning. Irma changed that.

Cousin & his wife live in Sarasota, the daughter lives in Orlando. No power at either home. They all fly together to Orlando but then my cousin needs to fill up with gas to drive back home to Sarasota and there is no gas at gas stations either.

His daughter cannot reach her husband, who stayed at their home in Orlando. They do have a generator, his husband managed to buy one on Friday before the storm hit. I warned her to tell him that people steal generators and he better chain it to something solid but she had not been able to reach him with that bit of information. Hopefully he still has a generator.

United is taking reservations for flights before Thursday but said they don't know if those flights will be cancelled. As he has cancelled tickets from his previously reserved flights, United with honor the discounts on Thursday evening or Friday Noon flights. Logically the Friday noon flight is the one they should take. Thursday evening's flight lands them in Orlando at 9pm, leaving them with potentially no place to stay and not enough gas to get home to Sarasota and trying to travel in a state that has several curfews imposed.

Fun times :doh:

On the bright side they are good house guests. While I am close with my cousin he is very respectful of the house and our time so he has been taking his wife & daughter out for the days and returns later in the evenings. We all went to Chinatown yesterday but took 2 cars so my wife and I returned while they then off sightseeing after a traditional Dim Sum luncheon.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Update ... the daughter was able to reach her husband in Orlando. House is undamaged but there is no power. Neighborhood in Orlando appears to be in reasonable condition, no trees fell into houses or anything like that. No flooding.

I did hear from another cousin who has a home in the Sarasota area, no damage, no flooding and also no power.

Airports are closed. Power is expected to be out in many areas for fairly extended periods.