• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

North Slope AK Tucker's

akimp

Nice looking rigs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 287

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was told about a tow strap breaking and flying through the cab. Is that what the rear screen is for?

akimp

Yes on the strap breaking. They were trying to pull one of these tractors out with a loader (or something big), The chain broke and shot through the window almost killing the driver. Bone head move making it almost impossible to extract one another when stuck. Luckily I'm a company man and we are allowed tow straps (They are rated for 20 ton and we only pull 3/4 ton trucks).

Attachments

• tucker.jpg
    tucker.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 277

Dr. Zaugg

Never ever use a strap with any thing but a clevis or something like that on each end. NEVER EVER in combination with a chain. I saw a broken chain link go right through a young man's chest 40 years ago. Propelled by the strap.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have used short aviation chains like one would use in c-130's, get a bite on something that doesn't have a tow point with. I prefer to use the eye on a strap or rope directly hooked to both pieces of equipment. I never use chains to lengthen a strap and prefer not to tow with chains period, chain is however king when lashing down a load.

akimp

Yes on the strap breaking. They were trying to pull one of these tractors out with a loader (or something big), The chain broke and shot through the window almost killing the driver. Bone head move making it almost impossible to extract one another when stuck. Luckily I'm a company man and we are allowed tow straps (They are rated for 20 ton and we only pull 3/4 ton trucks).

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

I looked for those 2 Tuckers with the Rotating Beacon Beam like boats and military ships have and didn't see them. Even remembered to bring the camera. They used to live over in the EOA (Eastern Operating Area) near MCC and PBOC. The last time I saw them they were being serviced and were near the Firehouse. They are probably hiding in some wearhouse or equipment lot near-by. That area used to be run by ARCO, after the BP/Arco buy-out that area became BP. Likely the guys in E-06 or E-08 would know. We have a member in the forum, maybe 2, that work in the EOA, maybe they can find the 2 radar equipped Tucker Sno Cats.

akimp

I will get a pick today of the infrared equipped cat. It lives at the security Tarmac base.

akimp

Lyndon I finally remember we're I met you. I was a apprentice electrician at miline point for a couple months and you were the FCO. I have to replace the bearings on the drive axles and pinion on your old j5 and it should be ready for the museum.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I restored the J5 I had 2 sets of the decals made from some pictures at the Bombardier Museum, in Valcort Qe. I gave the spare set to the guy you bought it from. That J5 spent it's first 2 lives in Vermont, where it was rebuilt at leats once, it's 3rd life in Washington, where it got rebuilt again, and is on it's 4th life in Alaska. A real 'World-Traveler'!

akimp

More Tucker's, Haglund, Don't know what. The tucker with the beacon on top is a infrared camera to see hydrocarbon leaks on remote pipelines.

Attachments

• security tucker.jpg
    security tucker.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 200
  • tucker1.JPG
    tucker1.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 202
  • tucker.JPG
    tucker.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 209
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 198
  • WTF.JPG
    WTF.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 202
  • WtF2.JPG
    WtF2.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 201

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
what's the deal with the boxes on the front of the bv206's, have they put in a different engine and moved the radiator forward?

akimp

I'm not sure why the boxes are there. I will look inside them today and take a picture. I don't drive these vehicles but have road in them across the Arctic ocean ice pack 7 miles to North Star island. They would use them to reduce cost of helicoptering and because they can swim supposedly. I chuckled about the safety of them in water when the hull plug was out of the bottom.