• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Efficient and least efficient cars

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I beleive it was Road & Track that did a comparison between the Mercedes Benz E250 luxury sedan and the Toyota Prius.

Their conclusion was that the bigger, faster, more powerful, luxury sedan actually was the more efficient sedan between the to in a face-to-face test.

I tend to believe them. It seems that EPA data is skewed in favor of gasoline engines, but in real life diesel engines deliver some amazing performance. My Audi A6 TDI has just under 20,000 miles on the odometer and my long term fuel economy average is 36.6 mpg for that entire 20,000 miles. It goes from 0-to-60 in just over 5 seconds and has full time 4 wheel "quattro" drive so its great in the snow. Diesel is also cheaper than gas in my area. My daughter has a diesel Jetta, her odometer is right about 109,000 and she averages over 37 mpg.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I beleive it was Road & Track that did a comparison between the Mercedes Benz E250 luxury sedan and the Toyota Prius.

Their conclusion was that the bigger, faster, more powerful, luxury sedan actually was the more efficient sedan between the to in a face-to-face test.

I tend to believe them. It seems that EPA data is skewed in favor of gasoline engines, but in real life diesel engines deliver some amazing performance. My Audi A6 TDI has just under 20,000 miles on the odometer and my long term fuel economy average is 36.6 mpg for that entire 20,000 miles. It goes from 0-to-60 in just over 5 seconds and has full time 4 wheel "quattro" drive so its great in the snow. Diesel is also cheaper than gas in my area. My daughter has a diesel Jetta, her odometer is right about 109,000 and she averages over 37 mpg.

One of the fastest, most responsive Mercedes sedans I ever owned was a 1986 turbo diesel 350 SLD. 190 HP. Not great off the line but as quick as anything once you got it moving. I also owned the same 143 body in three other Benzes, all gasoline 450sel (238 HP) and 560 sel's (328) of similar vintage.

Gas models got 15 to 18 MPG The diesel got 20 city 24 highway on what at that time was the cheapest fuel at the pump. Back in the 90's that was something.

Given the low maintenance costs and reliability of the diesel ( I got over 400K before I sold it) the diesel far outperformed the gas models in overall cost per mile.

Even at todays price for diesel, I prefer it in my larger vehicles. The ones I wish to keep for along while. My 1995 Dodge one ton gets 20MPG on the highway,
loaded. 25 years later some gas model 1/2 tons can do it. Empty.

Diesel is a fuel we can grow cost efficient to pumping Crude. And unlike ethanol, it requires less refining and no modifications to old engines. 50/50 blends of Bio and petroleum runs exactly like straight diesel. And doesn't cost $4.00 a government subsidized gallon to produce. Unlike corn,,,, Beans tend to enrich the soil.

End of rant.
Thanks Melensdad, for setting up the soapbox:thumb:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Frank - 126 body. 82-90 in US.

I had a 82 126 smoker. Not quick off the line, but that thang sounded so sweet idling, and at 80mph, sung like Bocelli to me.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd like to add that I obviously give a hoot about fuel efficiency.

I want to get there in one piece, spend as little money overall to do so, and enjoy the ride in luxury. That's efficiency to me.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Frank - 126 body. 82-90 in US.

I had a 82 126 smoker. Not quick off the line, but that thang sounded so sweet idling, and at 80mph, sung like Bocelli to me.

Yep, 126, I keep forgetting.And I believe the 126 went from '79 to '91. Perhaps the last "real" Mercedes body.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd like to add that I obviously give a hoot about fuel efficiency.

I want to get there in one piece, spend as little money overall to do so, and enjoy the ride in luxury. That's efficiency to me.

Lots of wisdom there.

But I think many of us have shown you can have it all with excellent fuel efficiency in a large luxury car that provides a safe ride for the occupants of the vehicle.

It certainly costs less to operate a Prius than to operate a large oil burner from MB or Audi, largely because the car costs less to begin with. But as you point out, the ride/drive experience is also far less: less safe, less comfort, less luxury.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If over the road truck has large gasoline engines in them, for efficiency then car engines could compete. Fact is that Diesel engines are nearly 10% more efficient in converting chemical energy into mechanical energy.. These figures are older, so it could be even better than that today...

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk, I think it is higher than that.

I know that diesel has 30% more energy, and I know that diesels are mechanically more efficient. Add the 2 together and you have power + efficiency.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I think I'm going to start looking for another 126 with a 5cyl 617 engine. All black would be sweet. Loved that car. Even wired the house with a Intermec full voltage timer for the block heater. Had the battery heater on 100% of the time and the block heater turned on 2 hours before I left. Started every time no problem in SW Michigan weather. Had heat right away too.

I thought I shook the diesel habit.