• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Vacuum Cleaner - Dyson, Bissell, what ????

P

Pigtails

I was going to post this in another place but means your looking for a good vaccum.:yum: :yum:

Attachments

• If Men Vaccumed.jpg
    If Men Vaccumed.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 226

live2ride

I had a rainbow......used it, then used my brand new Dyson........I WAS amazed that a $ 500 vacuum compared to a $ 1600 one was BY FAR BETTER. The rainbow you would have to dump water, after every use....what a mess!! Dyson has my vote!!

Chandler

The Dyson ROCKS! We have gone through our share of Hoover's, Kenmore's, etc. -- I finally broke down and bought my wife a Dyson. This is by far the best vacuum we've ever owned. She absolutely loves it! Ours is purple and aqua -- wicked cool.

I'll second that! We got a Dyson Animal (D-15) and we really like it.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll second that! We got a Dyson Animal (D-15) and we really like it.

We have a hoover that is barely adequate. (I was going to say it sucks, but in this case that would be a good thing.) I'm glad to hear all the good feedback about Dyson. That will be our next vacuum for sure. :thumb:

Welcome to ForumsForums Chandler. Now that you got the first post out of the way I hope to see you active in other areas of the forums. :D
Enjoy and please ....post often! :thumb: :beer:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I tried to get parts for my Kent vacuums. I failed.

I think I will take the 2 machines I have, make one good one and toss out the rest. I'm leaning toward buying a Dyson at some point in the near future.

Chandler

Thanks for the welcome. I am enjoying reading all the info on here. As for the Dyson, we have tried a lot of vacuums and I think it is the best yet. My wife ordered it online, I think from the companys website.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
.... As for the Dyson, we have tried a lot of vacuums and I think it is the best yet. My wife ordered it online, I think from the companys website.

I saw them for sale in Sam's Club. I'll have to compare prices to see where the best place is to buy one.

General question for everyone with a Dyson ... where did you buy it from? Is service a consideration .....IOW, have you ever had to return it for service? If service comes into play then saving a few bucks at Sam's Club would not be worth it, since they do not service anything that they sell.

live2ride

I saw them for sale in Sam's Club. I'll have to compare prices to see where the best place is to buy one.

General question for everyone with a Dyson ... where did you buy it from? Is service a consideration .....IOW, have you ever had to return it for service? If service comes into play then saving a few bucks at Sam's Club would not be worth it, since they do not service anything that they sell.

I have had mine for 2 years the only thing is cleaning the filter......it gets warm and shuts itself off if you don't.... ;)

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
W/ all the animals I have.. I'm thinking a leaf-vac hooked up outside to an all house vacuum. :)

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Comparing our Dyson to our Orec, there is no comparison. The Orec is an American built, induatrial-quality piece of equipment that does an outstanding job. It's lighter, built better, repairable (never had to, but it is), uses less electricity and cleaner. (BTW it has a 20 year warranty.)

The Dyson is expensive chinese crap. Period. Very efficient at turning electricty into noise. :argueing:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Interesting thread! We've been occasionally pondering vacuums for about a year, but the cheap "Big Box Store Sale" Hoover we bought to abuse during some clean up around here won't die or even annoy us quite enough to get a new one.

The bagless Hoover did prove to us that changing bags beats cleaning a bagless. :puke1:

Observations around here narrowed it down [for now] to Simplicity [Riccar] in stereotypical uprights or, of course, Kirby for a "all in one."

If we decide the weight won't be that bad and we will use the attachments I like the idea of lowballing a Kirby. That was my plan when they demoed it [it performed great, but we're still in the deciding mode], but reading here: it's probably $200 less I should offer [if we go that route].

Both are domestic machines, repairable, and heavy duty motor windings [actually neither produced a cut-apart to back up that statement].

If you want to get a vacuum dealer ranting about bigboxstore units, Dyson seems to be one to ask about. I'm guessing the actual failure rate isn't worse than other boxstore units, but for the money, people are more likely to seek repair rather than just buy a new one. Regardless, I'm not even sure if they work well or not [it was originally on the list], but I'm not sold on it [after the Hoover no bagless fits the bill].

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
At this risk of digging up old threads (I don't have enough info yet to post a review) thought an update on my post in order.

I happened to ask a relatively new guy at work what he did before, and he said he sold vacuums. I off handedly mentioned I was thinking about a Kirby (Christmas present for wife....shortly after I buy a rifle....ain't I romantic!) if I stumbled across a good deal. He was selling Kirby's and still had the last one he was demoing, looking to sell it for cost [about 25% of "list", 33% of "usual opening offer" and 50% of typical selling price]and even through in a few extras he wouldn't be needing again (including the see through demo filter of all things)!

I did have to clean it up a bit, but it's all there. I didn't get some of the more obscure attachments, but all the common ones including the shampooer, hand shampooer, and zip-brush. As I read on a vacuum cleaner shop's website as well, I'm not sure the bit lighter weight of the Sentria was worth the extra plastic, else it looks to be as good as any revisions.

I'll write a review in 30 years - hopefully!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Sears Progressive that cost me $25 at a Thrift Store. Best vaccum cleaner I ever had. :thumb:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Consumer Reports rated the Dyson as middle of the road. basically its WAYYYYYYYYYYYY over rated.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Consumer Reports rated the Dyson as middle of the road. basically its WAYYYYYYYYYYYY over rated.

I was always more into uprights, but it appears the canister models do have more total suction & greater capacity. I guess it's never too late to change models as long as the attachments are compatible.:thumb:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
But I think Consumer Reports is way overrated and only take what they say with a grain of salt.:coolshade

I've had items that worked great for me get a horrible rating in Consumer Reports. An Astro van was one inparticular they rated very low and the one I had ran and ran with no problems.

...but back on topic. Since this thread started we have aquired a Dyson. All I can say is WOW. My wife loves it as opposed to her old Hoover. It does a great job. They cost more but sure appear to be worth it. We both like the no bag and ease of dumping out what the sweeper has picked up. :thumb:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
We bought one of these this year:

http://www.hoover.com/db/xq/asp.hvr...ModID.1784/qx/WindTunnelElectronicBagless.htm

It really sucks. In fact the first time we vacuumed with it we were disgusted at home much stuff it picked up.

I don't really like bagless as it's a pain to clean up the canister but we now use our old bagged Vacuum to clean the dust out of the filter of the new one. The dust filter sure gets clogged up with crud fast.

The carpet agitator is very aggressive on this vacuum too.

I think the Dysan's are pretty good to but they do cost more.

Alright, this stupid Vacuum just broke. After looking online for replacement parts (not to be found) and trying to take it apart (lots of little broken plastic tabs and bits :)censored:). I can say that while it is a good vacuum it will not last very long when it is used in a three story house with kids and dogs. It can't handle abuse too well.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Alright, this stupid Vacuum just broke. After looking online for replacement parts (not to be found) and trying to take it apart (lots of little broken plastic tabs and bits :)censored:). I can say that while it is a good vacuum it will not last very long when it is used in a three story house with kids and dogs. It can't handle abuse too well.

Your dogs abused the vacuum?????

Mine just bark at it :hide:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Your dogs abused the vacuum?????

Mine just bark at it :hide:

OK, my wife abuses the vacuum (thump, tumble, crash down the stairs). My dogs and kids just provide the content for the vacuum. :mrgreen:

Anyone else have an update to their vacuum life span reports?

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, my wife abuses the vacuum (thump, tumble, crash down the stairs). My dogs and kids just provide the content for the vacuum. :mrgreen:

How about a Dyson that only lasted 2 weeks? My wife hated it, said it was hard to use and didn't do as good a job as her old Hoover. I took it and boxed it up to send it back and get a refund. The next evening I noticed it was gone. She had given it to a friend of hers :w00t2:

Our upstairs is all hardwood so we have a canister Sears that we leave up there.

Jim

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I have a dyson and love it. I have owned several different brands of vaccum cleaners and the dyson has been the best vaccum cleaner I have ever owned.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
We have had a new one for about a year now. Danged if I remember what kind. It's one that was rated highest by consumer reports last year. I have heard of issues with the reliability of the Dyson's but you people are the only first hand knowledge I have from actual owners.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter

Status quo here; the Kirby is still going strong; heavy enough [though the drive eliminates that while actually vacuuming across the carpet] that it's not exactly an immediate "go to tool," but I don't think much different than previous lighter makes we've had.

I'm still not convinced that a traditional shampooer like Rug Doctor isn't good for the carpet occasionally contrary to Kirby claims, but for frequent shampooing [which we still don't :bonk:] their "dry suds" system does seem to have merit [even if still slightly cheesy]. Regardless the fact it came with the vacuum is a good excuse to have it!

Dated a few years now [think I noted earlier in this threat at that], and still partially second hand (in that I wasn't interested enough at the time to ask which samples were which brand, but supposedly including Dyson; the vacuum shop sold Simplicity[Riccar] among other "premium" brands IIRC - on a side note I was rather impressed with the Simplicity), but if you look at the cheap motor windings of some Big Box Store models you'll know quickly why 15amps insn't a good measure of suction even disregarding rotor design, and why continuous use could easily mean early death.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I happened to notice Spiffy's reply and was sitting to feet from the newer one I mentioned as it sat in the closet. It's a Kenmore. I like it a lot as as I mentioned it was highly touted by consumer reports which my FIL treats like the Bible so.....

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I contacted a local repair store to order a new handle/hose assembly and they wanted $150 for that part! I went on eBay and bought a second identical vacuum (new in the box)for $169. Other than reliability, it is a good vacuum and cleans well so now I have a parts machine. I think I can hard wire the handle assembly on the old one so the power head is on all the time and that will be good enough for most of our needs.

Blondie

Blond Member
My husband and I have a Dyson, the one for pets. We absolutely love it. We have to give it "hair cuts" once in while b/c I have long hair and we have one long haired dog. It really is great- all attachments are easy to use and you never have to worry about buying bags anymore- that is a huge plus for me :D Oh, in the past we have always owned Hoovers...