• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

cherries and burbon question

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had some cherries soaked in something. was that bourbon?
how are they made?
wife says they were just soaked.
never did drink much.
don't even recall what they were called. just was told to take one.
jim

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There is a commercially made moonshine that is sold packed full of cherries in mason jars.

I don't recall the brand. Could that be what you had?

Moonshine is basically a corn whiskey that is not aged in charred oak barrels so it remains clear but its basically the same liquid, just has not picked up the flavors of the oak and char. If the corn whiskey is at least 51% corn then it is the precursor to Bourbon, but to qualify as Bourbon it must be aged.

Leni

I suspect that the cherries are soaked in vodka. With time the vodka would turn color. Drink the liquid and put the cherries on ice cream.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
DW got these for a gift a couple of Christmases ago. I took the whole jar to a weekend with some seasoned boozers, and you can see how popular they were. The jar is still full, and still can't find taker for them. The 'shine is actually pretty crappy tasting, and the cherries are no better because of it.

Attachments

• moonshine cherries.jpg
    moonshine cherries.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 84

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a donation to the garbage disposal.
I'd feel real bad for my garbage disposal to pour that crap down there. the disposal has been real good to me, and I have no reason to make it suffer. We don't have many people in my area that hail from pats where they make this stuff, so I can't even give it away. I just might use it for paint & wallpaper remover, and compost the cherries.

Now this, on the other hand, is some tasty stuff.

Attachments

• Lady Bligh Cherry.jpg
    Lady Bligh Cherry.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 75

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
OMG! Where can I find this in the Los Angeles area.
This just showed up on the shelves here in NE Ohio within the past 3-4 months, so I'm not sure what its distribution will be. I only bought a small bottle to try it out, but will be buying the 1/2 gallon when this is gone.

Prior to finding this, I would put equal amounts of cherry brandy & rum over ice, then fill the glass with diet Coke with lime. With such a low alcohol content, I can have a couple of them in the evening without any ill effects (I drink for the taste, not to get crap-eyed). The price is the same as the regular spiced rum.

FWIW, a friend turned me on to Lady Bligh rum, which is much less expensive than Cap't Morgan, and just as flavorful. He said Lady Bligh was Cap't Morgan's lady in waiting. :yum: