• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Does your credit card company offer virtual card numbers?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A co worker was telling me his credit card company gives him a way to get up to 10 virtual credit card numbers for one time use or use at one specified vendor. He never gets an actual card for these virtual cards, just the info he needs to use them online. He can assign a number to a vendor or set it for one time use and be done with it.
Sounded very interesting to me. So I checked with one of my bank ...and they thought it sounded like a good idea, but will have to check with the carrier who offers the card services through them ....so it appears as of yet it is not an option.

Does your card offer the virtual card option in some form?

Have you ever heard of this virtual card option before? I had not.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If 10 members here post their card numbers, I could be all set. I promise to only use once.

Kidding aside, I hadn't heard of that.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
It;s a great idea.. and coming into play.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20021011a.asp

"Outsmart online thieves with virtual credit card numbers.
Several major credit card issuers, including Citibank, are offering customers the option of shopping online with virtual, single-use credit card numbers, which expire within one or two months.​

The aim? To thwart hackers by using a different, random card number every time you shop online. A virtual number is only good on the Web site where you made your purchase.
"There's no value to the number to any hacker," says Amy Radin, director of e-business for Citi Cards, "because they can't take it anywhere else on the Web."

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I think Pay Pal offers something similar in the you can get a prepaid card from them (no physical card) to purchase with on sites that don't take Pay Pal. I've never used it but have a PayPal bar that has it listed.

teledawg

Bank Of America has a service called ShopSafe that allows you to create an unlimited number of temporary credit card numbers. More info here: LINK

I use it all the time. I never give out my real credit card number.

that was the sole reason I got an AMEX Blue card years ago, but they stopped doing that a few years back - I think BofA does it now, but I won't be with them much longer...