• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

digital SLR cameras

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I am in the market for a GREAT camera to use at my daughters wedding....

I am looking at cameras in the range of the Nikon d40 with lenses from 18/24 to over 200 mm in length, since it can also be used for the cat place.

I am not stuck on Nikon, Canon etc, but want some reviews from you guys and gals that have them

thanks

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter

I am looking at cameras in the range of the Nikon d40 with lenses from 18/24 to over 200 mm in length, since it can also be used for the cat place.

I am not stuck on Nikon, Canon etc, but want some reviews from you guys and gals that have them

thanks

I've been a Nikon shooter for years my current is a D100. I have had it for several years and love it. It is a tough camera, no trouble after 1000s of shots. if I had the $ I would sell it and get the D200. The D40 has very good reviews as well as the D70. I stand behind my Nikon 100%. Be wary of the cheapest sellers, a $40 savings can sometimes come back and haunt you.
All my camera and video equipment comes from B & H photo in NY city. I've been buying there for years, very reputable and will spend time on the phone explaining features.

B&H Photo

I would recommend staying with a major brand, Nikon, Cannon, Fuji, Olympus in case something bad happens and you need service.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
GB, a bit out of my price range for this one and only! I did wedding photography back when we had film, and light meters, and exposure to worry about.

RK I had forgot about B and H photo, I also bought from them way back when. A few of my cameras came from them.........at one time I had 7 everything from 4x5 view to pentax mx (still have it).

Dave, I will check out the review when I have time to sit and study it, thanks for sharing it.

I plan on just making DVD's out of the pics, no prints unless the people want them and they can make their own! I also want something better for the cat place pics.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter

thanks

I would look at glass that fits the bill, and then a camera body to back it up. Your images will only be as good as the glass they pass through. Even the body Gatorboy mentioned will only give you a mediocre image if you use a mediocre lens.

I like Nikon. Probably the D200 or D300 series will be my next camera(I still shoot film... Can't afford a digital body right now). My favorite lense for stuff like you mention is 24-120, and 80-200/2.8.

Gatorboy

GB, a bit out of my price range for this one and only! I did wedding photography back when we had film, and light meters, and exposure to worry about.

Nothing has changed other than replacing film with images stored on disc. Exposure still needs to be worried about, so if you still have your light meter, you are in luck.

Does your daughter have a photographer contracted for her wedding day? Perhaps the agreement comes with obtaining the high-resolution digital images. This way you can enjoy the day and not have to worry about taking pictures.

In addition to the camera, you'll need a few lenses, and flash(es). To avoid red-eye, you'll either need to get the flashes off-camera, or get a bracket to get the flash way from the lens.

A Canon 40D is another great option, and if you can find a 30D, you will save a few bucks and still have a great low-light camera.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nothing has changed other than replacing film with images stored on disc. Exposure still needs to be worried about, so if you still have your light meter, you are in luck.

Does your daughter have a photographer contracted for her wedding day? Perhaps the agreement comes with obtaining the high-resolution digital images. This way you can enjoy the day and not have to worry about taking pictures.

In addition to the camera, you'll need a few lenses, and flash(es). To avoid red-eye, you'll either need to get the flashes off-camera, or get a bracket to get the flash way from the lens.

A Canon 40D is another great option, and if you can find a 30D, you will save a few bucks and still have a great low-light camera.

Well see if I hire a photog then I dont have an excuse to buy a new camera...........and a couple of studio head flash to go with it. I like the nikon d40 x. kits with 18 to 200 range of lens covered are under 850., that is doable, and that is Nikon lense, not 3rd party.

I would think that with all the TTL stuff most exposure is taken care of, but then with digi, who cares, look at it, reshoot or go on!

thanks

Gatorboy

I would think that with all the TTL stuff most exposure is taken care of, but then with digi, who cares, look at it, reshoot or go on!

You may get a bit frustrated trusting in TTL. Typical weddings are comprised of white dresses and black tuxes. If you don't shoot manual, you are letting the flash and camera do the thinking and if it senses the white dress, you'll have an underexposed image, if it locks on the black tux, you'll have an overexposed image.

Most of these problems are for indoor shots. Outdoors, you should have much better luck.

Just preparing you in advance.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
You may get a bit frustrated trusting in TTL. Typical weddings are comprised of white dresses and black tuxes. If you don't shoot manual, you are letting the flash and camera do the thinking and if it senses the white dress, you'll have an underexposed image, if it locks on the black tux, you'll have an overexposed image.

Most of these problems are for indoor shots. Outdoors, you should have much better luck.

Just preparing you in advance.

Thanks GB. I am aware of those situations. I did wedding photograpy for 12 years, of course everything was manual then...........I will also be using studio stobes indoors, so that will help some, since the light will much softer. I do appreciate your input, I am still not sure on the camera, may have to go look them over tonite, see what is what

thanks

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
OK, let me toss another one around. any one use Pentax digital? I used them in my 35 mm days, still have an MX that works, and I have some lenses from Pentax that are no longer made. I know they will work with digi, just not auto anything.

looking at the 200D when it is available

thanks again guys

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
GB, that is in my mind also, but giving the new Pentax a once over.

What about lenses, does anyone have a 3rd party lense they really like. personally I have always stuck with OEM lenses. I have a photog friend that loves her Tamaron lenses........on Nikon d300.

thoughts

Gatorboy

My Canon lenses are the best, but I do have a Tamron 24-75 f/2.8 and two Sigmas, a 120-300 f/2.8 and a 14 f/2.8 and don't have any problem with any of them.

My Canon lenses are: 70-200 f/2.8L, 85 f/1.8, 135 f2.0, 50 f/1.8.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
thanks GB. I am going to give Canon the once over today and see what I come up with. I am looking at 800 to 900 on the camera with 2 lenses, then about 700 for the 2 strobes I want.

I can keep the strobes or sell them after that.................but you really know I am keeping them, just dont tell the wife.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Looked around a bit more, decided the Nikon d40X with the 2 Nikon lenses, 18-55 and 55-200. Now to find the best service/price, any ideas. I am not stuck to brick and mortar, and have looked at Ritz and Wolf, BandH etc.

thanks guys and gals

Gatorboy

B&H is the largest seller of photographic equipment. Their prices are usually the best, and after you place the order it arrives at your door in 2 to 3 days.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
B&H is the largest seller of photographic equipment. Their prices are usually the best, and after you place the order it arrives at your door in 2 to 3 days.

I agree GB they are 01 of the top 10 that I am considering. I like the free shipping with some too.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
...with a big-honkin catalog. Lots of video gear as well.

wish they had some of the lighting I am looking at. will give them the once over before getting that, but I know about Paul C Buff lighting, used them before, and loved it.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I use Paul Buff's Alien Bees and love them as well. I've got a couple B800's and a B400 along with umbrella's and softboxes.

Boy, if you lived closer, I'd shoot your daughter's wedding for ya!

I would let you. alien bees, are they something with buff too? a few people have mentioned them. I need single head power, slave for flash firing. I want 2 independant yet able to work together. I checked the link, these seem to be a bit cheaper to buy than their other lines. for what I want 400 ws may be plenty.

Oh and I decided on the Nikon d80, less than 100$ more and found a place that beats all of the big cyber stores............and yes USA warranty, first thing I checked.

your opinion of the alien bees for the group and portrait wedding pics would be appreciated

milkman

OK, let me toss another one around. any one use Pentax digital? I used them in my 35 mm days, still have an MX that works, and I have some lenses from Pentax that are no longer made. I know they will work with digi, just not auto anything.looking at the 200D when it is available
thanks again guys

Holy cow, you got an MX that works, me too, small world, will have to get it out and battery it up again just for old time sake. Liked that camera with the winder, and it still works too.

jwstewar

I was reading this thread earlier today. We had a Kodak 5MP Point and Shoot that we really liked before the house fire. We then bought a Kodak 10 MP that we have hated. Doesn't take a decent indoor shot no mater what you do and no matter how I hold it, it says I shake too much and the pictures look like crap. I've never had this with any other camera. Ended up going to Circuit City and getting a Nikon D60 with an 18 -55 lense. I've never used an SLR before, so this should be interesting. Can't wait for the battery to charge so that I can play with it. I think I'm going to start looking online to see if I can find a Nikon 55 - 200 lense for a good price. One of the biggest reasons we want this is for school activities, so we think we want something that will allow us to zoom pretty good.