• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Eating dinner at a very rural restaurant tonight, 6 or 8 shots fired

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tonight I took the family out to eat at "THE FARMHOUSE" at the FAIR OAKS FARM, for those who don't know it, it a huge dairy farm in rural Northwest Indiana, southwest of DeMotte, East of Kentland. If you somehow missed the tour or rural NW Indiana and don't know, Kentland has a few hundred residents, DeMotte maybe 3000. So FAIR OAKS FARM is the big employer, despite the fact that it is at least 10 miles from either of those towns. At the farm they have several exhibits, a cheese making facility and a restaurant with a bar.

So we are sitting in the restaurant tonight, adjacent to the bar. There are 2 couples in the bar, sitting apart from each other. Maybe two dozen people in the restaurant scattered across a half dozen tables. We can see into the bar because it is separated from our table by large windows, which are directly to my right side.

So a big guy in the bar is seated with a small blonde woman. The guy gets up, walks out the side door of the bar onto the porch, withdraws his gun, fires off about 6 or 8 rounds, comes back inside, with the gun holstered on his right hip, and continues to talk to the blonde woman. About 10 minutes later we see them leave.

Being that this is rural Indiana I didn't think much of it. We are miles from nowhere, it is a bit odd, but for all I knew the guy shooting the gun may have been the owner? Honestly nobody even flinched, nobody dove under the tables, nobody really seemed to care.

10 minutes or so after the couple left, we see the blonde woman again walk into the bar, then back out.

15 minutes later a sheriff deputy walks past, goes into the bar, then out the side door onto the porch with the bartender, look down at the ground, and then back inside. Then we don't see the deputy any more.

Another 20 minutes go by and we pay our bill and leave. I go out to get the car and there is the blonde woman, sitting on the hood of a Cadillac. Two sheriff cars. 1 deputy is talking to the guy. Not sure if he is cuffed.

So here is what I am wondering --- WHAT LAW WAS BROKEN?
  • He never appeared drunk. Not even sure if he was drinking.
  • He never appeared to be disorderly.
  • We saw him leave without seeing anyone ask him to do so. So I don't see a tresspassing issue.
  • I don't think there were any gun laws broken. We can carry in bars. We can open carry. We can drink and carry (if he drank)
  • Public nusience ... Maybe?

Honstly I didn't think anything of it, nor did anyone at our table. Nor did the family at the table right next to ours. It just seemed like a total non-event.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 186

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Disturbing the peace? Hunting without a license? :unsure:

He wasn't hunting. He just fired off a quick 6 to 8 rounds.

Not sure if we have a 'disturbing the peace' law or how it would be applied, especially since it didn't seem to actually disturb anyone. Sure we looked, it was loud, while it was outside it was probably no more than 30 feet from where we were sitting, but then we went back to eating, as did everyone else.

Not even sure if we have a public nucience law? But I'm guessing maybe something. Or maybe nothing.

BTW, we had a bacon appetizer and fried cheeze curds as our appetizers. Followed by salad. Then that giant rib-eye was my dinner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 173

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Having a firearm in a tavern or bar (anywhere alcohol is served) is illegal in Wisconsin. Maybe in Indiana, too?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like the kind of restaurant that we would enjoy but as far as the guy firing his handgun, I don't have a clue. I have no idea about Indiana firearms law but the behavior is a little bizarre, to say the least.

There's no mention of the firearm so after firing 6 or 8 shots, the thing that would occur to me is, "Is he empty or only half empty?". In other words, is that handgun now a club or can he still shoot my a**?.

Before two cop cars showed up in pretty quick time, out in the country, somebody had to have called in a complaint. So, my guess would be "disturbing the peace". That covers a multitude of sins. Down in Texas I think that there is one called "Reckless discharge of a firearm" that might fit.

It sure would be interesting to know.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Had you just ordered your steaks ?

Maybe he just went out to put old Bubba the bull down for your round of steaks.............I prefer mine aged though ! :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Having a firearm in a tavern or bar (anywhere alcohol is served) is illegal in Wisconsin. Maybe in Indiana, too?

Perfectly legal in Indiana to carry while in a bar. Also legal to carry while drinking.

Kane

The weapons violation?

Discharging a firearm within so-many-feet of an occupied structure.

Or, discharging a firearm when in the accompaniment of a blonde tart.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The weapons violation?

Discharging a firearm within so-many-feet of an occupied structure.

Or, discharging a firearm when in the accompaniment of a blonde tart.

We don't have an "XXX number of feet" law in Indiana. There may be county statutes that apply? But no state statute of which I am aware.

I'm thinking this might have been bravado and rough foreplay for the blonde. :whistling:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinkin' there have been several times my wife and I got into a discussion at the restaurant where in the thought of going outside and emptying my gun seemed like a good plan.:ermm:

Perhaps he just wanted her to be assured that his "gun' was empty and in fact it was safe to ride home with him.:whistling:

As for laws broken, there are few laws with common sense within their architecture so I doubt anything would specifically apply.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Guy was arrested for criminal recklessness with a firearm.

Info was posted on Newton county sheriff department Facebook page.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hate to quote myself but .... BINGO!!!!!

Show off :whistling:

FWIW, 3 of the 4 people at my table are licensed to carry. Not sure how many others in the restarurant were packing. Here in Indiana we have about 11% of the adult population who carries (some or all the time).

Was that the tomahawk steak? Looks well done....

Yes, and it was cooked "medium" with a dark char on the outside but nice and pink inside.

Sadly they ran out of apple pie so I got a bourbon brownie for desert.