• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Public utilities monster

Bamby

Public utilities monster.... I am a sitting here doing my bills and got to my water bill. Fortunately I only have the water side of it which has also seen some price increases but nothing like the posted increase on the bill for sewage customers. The price is going up .37¢ per gallon on the next bill which is 37 dollar per 100 gallon increase.. Thats gonna haft to heart a lot of folks hard on fixed or limited income.. Running a load of clothes at home will then cost more than I used to pay per load at the laundry mat. At 10 gallon a load it's 3.70 increase per load... Have a efficient flush toilet? Even so at a gallon and a half it will cost you an additional .55¢ to flush a pint of pee.. I could go on but :hammer::hammer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WTF?!?!?!? Are you missing a decimal point?

I just checked my water bill. We're paying just over 1 penny per gallon ($1.22 per 100 gallons). Our bill is about $50/month. Using your .37¢ per gallon (just the increase amount), our water bill would be over $1,200.00 per month. I'm pretty sure the Public Utilities Commission would squash that rate/amount increase very quickly.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking that's a typo. It's probably 37 cents per 100 gallons, not "per gallon"

Bamby

Well I called and they attempted to make me out a busybody since I don't have sewage but I finally got it out of them that it's a miss print and the actual rate increase is .37¢ per 10K.. A substantial difference..

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I called and they attempted to make me out a busybody since I don't have sewage but I finally got it out of them that it's a miss print and the actual rate increase is .37¢ per 10K.. A substantial difference..

I wonder if they realize how many folks had a heart attack when they read their bills. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
Government workers,.................... sheeesh.

Why didn't you ask them HOW they compute your sewerage gallon usage?

Bamby

Government workers,.................... sheeesh.

Why didn't you ask them HOW they compute your sewerage gallon usage?

That part is simple you get charged the prevailing sewage fee for every gallon of fresh water that goes through your meter... Washing car yep, power washing house, whatever your going to pay sewage on it...

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
POTW (Publicly Owned Treatment Works) financing is something I know a bit about.

Somebody has to pay for thing.

Sometimes the local POTW have no say in new requirements, which equals costs.

The potw can force waste water meters to be installed at industrial users. They can force business to pretreat. The POTW has all the data they need at that point to assign the rest of the costs to the populace.

The only economical way to do so is water purchased.

Or, you could install a flume, a sample pump and refrigerator, and pay for analysis on those samples to set your concentration costs. You are talking at least $10,000 per user for the equipment and install. Just pay it off the bill. Those costs went through a fairly complete vetting to make sure they costs are as equitable as possible.

What you gotta watch out for, as a voting citizen, is a rogue POTW manager that wants a 10 car conditioned garage with lifts, three conference rooms, a chef's kitchen, a locker-room made for a country club, a lounge area, and a huge clarifier/separator, instead of simply installing the required upsized clarifier.
By fighting this twirp very aggressively, we saved the town at least $10mm. He didnlt like me much.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
.37¢ per 10K doesn't sound right to me either.

A normal family of 4 uses about 3K gallons/month so their bill goes up about 11 cents.

Let's say there's 5000 households that will receive this extra rate. That's only $550 each month to the company.

Bamby

I bet it is $.37 per unit (which is 1000 gallons)

I'd also bet you're right....

You see this all is a pretty sweet deal for Wheeling. They expanded their service area by establishing a public service district. By doing this Wheeling residents were spared all associated costs of the expansion, both water and sewer and the water is purchased from Wheeling.

Our rates reflect the instillation and maintenance of the infrastructure plus the cost of the water passed on to us. But now hears the kicker Wheeling infrastructure is old and antiquated on both sides w/s and they're raising their rated to pay for upgrades and water storm sewer separation projects that are going to be tens of millions of dollars and by the devious way this was done everyone in the PSD areas are going to share the pain of Wheeling past negligence to maintain their infrastructure.. Sucks to be us...