• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Why tear out my perfectly good ceramic floor???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Because my wife said so :hammer:

And so it begins.

Remodeling a perfectly good bathroom for no apparent reason other than my wife wants to keep me busy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 91

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Figure it will take all weekend for my arthritic wrists to recuiperate from the pounding before I do much more of this. Obviously the toilet needs to come up soon. Baseboards too. I am NOT taking out the cabinets, just cracking the tile up to the edge and will lay in new tile ... which is NOT even picked out yet.

We are keeping the cherry cabinet, but replacing the counter top, sink and faucet.

I heard some rumor of WALLPAPER but that is well above my pay grade.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you for posting.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in having problems like this. :w00t2:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe I need to go back to work so I can rest during the days!

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
I feel your pain..............

BTW, if ya sprinkle a little water on the floor, then the dust won't be so bad

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wife came home, saw how much I got done, then sat down and pried off the baseboards for me :flowers:

I feel your pain..............

BTW, if ya sprinkle a little water on the floor, then the dust won't be so bad

This floor is coming up with very little dust. We've done some others that were like working in dust clouds. Not sure why this is cracking almost dust free.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the floor is progressing, the lovely Mrs_Bob left one of the baseboards on because she couldn't take it off, it was stuck in adjacent to a door frame trim, so rather than let her head upstairs with my SawZall, I ran up to see what the problem was. Removed the door frame trim and the baseboard was able to be removed.

More tile is up, but there is still more to go. Artritis is preventing too much progress on that. A day of rest and I should be able to knock out more of the tile. Maybe pull the toilet out too, but I should buy a drain pipe plug before I do that so I don't drop tile bits and chunks down that drain line.

But I am waiting for the fighting to start . . . The tile Melen likes is the same tile that my wife absolutely hates. So I am sensing a conflict.

Oh, and the counter top that Melen wants, other than being OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive is no longer available. Nearly $2000 for a 2' x 5' piece!!! So I'm pretty thrilled about that development but since the tile choice is based on coordinating with the counter top I think we are going to end up in and endless cycle of Tile shopping + Counter Top shopping followed by more Tile shopping and more Counter Top shopping!?!

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
It's probably no consolation at this point, but you could have rented an electric hammer from Home Depot or an equipment rental place with a wide chisel that would have made short order of that floor. I'm getting the early twinges of old Uncle Arthur-itis myself, and I have started finding methods easier on my joints. I would have also pulled the cabinet & toilet to save myself the frustration that comes with hand chiseling around objects, and would have been done with that floor in one session. As for the toilet, an old towel wrapped in a couple of plastic shopping bags will keep the sewer gas from escaping. I have plugs for everything from 1-1/4" to 4" pipe, but they're usually buried somewhere and can't find them until the job is over. :whistling:

I ordered new Pella Architectural series windows for the downstairs West elevation, which should be delivered 9-21-15. Once installed, I will be removing the tile backsplash and replacing it with something more compatible with the white cabinets and black granite counters. Like your floor, there's nothing wrong with it, other than it now looks out of place. I've been holding off this project until I replace the windows, which will entail removing the entire units and installing new construction windows and new casings that the tile will go up against.

As for children's input into design considerations, it is NOT permitted unless they are paying for it, which will never happen. Besides, they're all on their own and don't have to look at it every day. YMMV, based on your willingness to be abused by multiple women.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
It's probably no consolation at this point, but you could have rented an electric hammer from Home Depot or an equipment rental place with a wide chisel that would have made short order of that floor. I'm getting the early twinges of old Uncle Arthur-itis myself, and I have started finding methods easier on my joints. I would have also pulled the cabinet & toilet to save myself the frustration that comes with hand chiseling around objects, and would have been done with that floor in one session. As for the toilet, an old towel wrapped in a couple of plastic shopping bags will keep the sewer gas from escaping. I have plugs for everything from 1-1/4" to 4" pipe, but they're usually buried somewhere and can't find them until the job is over. :whistling:

I ordered new Pella Architectural series windows for the downstairs West elevation, which should be delivered 9-21-15. Once installed, I will be removing the tile backsplash and replacing it with something more compatible with the white cabinets and black granite counters. Like your floor, there's nothing wrong with it, other than it now looks out of place. I've been holding off this project until I replace the windows, which will entail removing the entire units and installing new construction windows and new casings that the tile will go up against.

As for children's input into design considerations, it is NOT permitted unless they are paying for it, which will never happen. Besides, they're all on their own and don't have to look at it every day. YMMV, based on your willingness to be abused by multiple women.

I'm jpr62902 and I approve of this post. :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know I could have rented the tool, thought about it, but its really a pretty small space and the project timeline for completion is between now & Thanksgiving.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Missed this thread until now. :(

Last time I ripped out a tile floor, it was quarry tile in the kitchen/dining/front hall.

Like JEV mentioned, I got the power tool.

Once I ripped up about a 6x6' area, I found the easiest, fastest and cleanest way was to pry under the edge of and then rip up the luan sub-floor with the tile still attached. Ripped it out in about 4x4' sections. Had the whole 14x25' area ripped up in a couple hours. Laid new sub-floor and was ready for the new flooring within a couple days.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW, the open floor area is about 4' by 12' plus the inset around the toilet.

Trying to chip it up without damaging the durarock subfloor. So far pretty successful doing that so I don't have to replace the subfloor.

But now the lovely Mrs_Bob wants me to shift my efforts back to the stained glass mosaic. So ....

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't know why, but I find this thread to be tremendously amusing. I should be sitting here feeling the pain, but I just cannot stop laughing at the lunacy of it all.

My apologies. :biggrin:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know why, but I find this thread to be tremendously amusing. I should be sitting here feeling the pain, but I just cannot stop laughing at the lunacy of it all.

My apologies. :biggrin:

I'm here to provide a service :neutral:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Been there, done that, Bob. I also used the jackhammer method and it still wasn't fun!! Had to go buy a full face shield immediately cause I had little cuts all over my face. Then had to use a large stone on a 9" grinder to remove all the thinset down to concrete. Sprinkling water on it resulted in either lots of mud or dust. What a mess!! The only good thing was the house was empty because we hadn't moved in yet
Mike

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
At 60 years old, (how the hell did I get this old,) and very arthritic, and having been in the construction business myself, I am now glad I live in an apartment. :clap:

Now my brother, who is older than me, and having been married for 40+ years, and who I worked for in the construction business, is now doing the forth kitchen remodel in his home of 25 years. When I asked why remodel a perfectly fine kitchen he said it prevented needless arguments. :unsure:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now my brother, who is older than me, and having been married for 40+ years... is now doing the forth kitchen remodel in his home of 25 years. When I asked why remodel a perfectly fine kitchen he said it prevented needless arguments. :unsure:
In marriage we have to pick our battles.

The key to a long lasting, successful marriage is, when the wife come up with a crazy idea, always ask yourself one question: "Is this the hill upon which I wish to die" and if the answer is "no" then there is no reason to engage in battle.

And so I tear up a floor.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tile is 90% removed.

Just a few tiles by the door, and then a dozen around the toilet. Tonight is fencing club night for me so I'll probably pull the toilet tomorrow and chip up the remainder of the tiles.

But for now I have a couple hour break with peace and solitude. Nobody has to tell my wife that I started late (after going to the cigar lounge for a couple hours) and quit early. So far as anyone knows I worked my fingers to the bone today and I'm probably still upstairs working right now. Get these jobs done too quickly and she'll just add more "honey do" projects to the list.

So I officially am envoking silence via the "guy code" rule of manly conduct. So it has been stated, so is it decreed :hammer:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter

Attachments

• Yul_Brynner_in_The_Ten_Commandments_film_trailer.jpg
    Yul_Brynner_in_The_Ten_Commandments_film_trailer.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 33

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I also have the tool for this job...heavy duty hammer drill with chisel action is a must tool to have, don't leave home without it.

So Bob have you got the new floor that Mrs Bob has told you to get yet??

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
She has to pick out a new floor.

What she picked out and was firm about getting got thrown out when she found out that the counter top she wanted was no longer available. So she has to start her search over again!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Toilet is removed, minimal mess, nothing is broken. It is now resting comfortably in the bathtub.

Should be able to pull off the last 2 pieces of baseboard and chip up the remainder of tile that is around the toilet flange.

Then we wait . . . and wait . . . wife has to decide on new counter top and tile. I'm happy to have it take time for her to decide. All I know is that if it looks bad then I am not to blame. But if it looks good I can make claims on it because I will be the one who installs it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So the bathroom is totally torn apart and my wife is at a loss as to how to put it back together. So she talks to a friend, it is recommended she go to see the kitchen designer at one of the local lumber yards. We go together.

My wife had previously purchased a couple dark bronze finished light fixtures. Remember I said SHE purchaseed DARK antiqued bronze finished fixtures.

So we are talking to one of the designers, she tells him she picked out BRUSHED GOLD faucets to go with the BRUSHED GOLD light fixtures.

I show her a photo of the light fixtures.

A fist fight almost ensues :boxing: and somehow it is all my fault that the faucet she picked out is a totally different color than the light fixtures she bought. OK so maybe there is a bit of exageration, but seriously how is this my fault?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A fist fight almost ensues :boxing: and somehow it is all my fault that the faucet she picked out is a totally different color than the light fixtures she bought. OK so maybe there is a bit of exageration, but seriously how is this my fault?

In marriage we have to pick our battles.

The key to a long lasting, successful marriage is, when the wife come up with a crazy idea, always ask yourself one question: "Is this the hill upon which I wish to die" and if the answer is "no" then there is no reason to engage in battle.

:whistling: :yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just remember these two words. "Yes dear". They will get most men out of any jam with their woman.

When it comes to arguing with women there are two things every man should remember.

1. You're wrong.
2. She's right.

Living by those two things creates a much happier marriage. [emoji12]

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just remember these two words. "Yes dear". They will get most men out of any jam with their woman.

When it comes to arguing with women there are two things every man should remember.

1. You're wrong.
2. She's right.

Living by those two things creates a much happier marriage. [emoji12]

Well in my house any fight with a female has a saying that goes like this:
When you 'win' you 'lose' and,
When you 'tie' you 'lose' and,
When you 'lose' you 'lose.'​
So I'm not sure, but we may be going back to see the bathroom designer again today? Figure I'm just like the bull with a ring through its nose being led to the slaughter. Yes dear. That looks 'fine' too. Yes dear.

Kane

Without progress pics, I'm beginning to wonder if the women have made this project so untenable that the multi-tasking "workman" has quit in utter frustration.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Without progress pics, I'm beginning to wonder if the women have made this project so untenable that the multi-tasking "workman" has quit in utter frustration.

Just had a meeting with the bathroom 'designer' and I wonder why she is called a designer. Told her the house was a "prairie style" design from 1912 and she nodded her head as if she knew, then she just started show stuff that would not be appropriate to the house. So I pulled up my cellphone and started showing her photos. She again nodded her head as if she understood. Clearly by her so-called design choices she had no clue what I want despite showing her one photo and telling her this was my "ideal" bathroom!

Back home and now finishing lunch and heading off in the car to go to look at tile at other stores because I am getting really tired of this and it needs to be finished but should not look like a modern bathroom, it should look like a prairie (or craftsman) style bathroom from 1912 :hammer: