• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dec 7, 1941

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
In an earlier thread, I mentioned some of my Grandfathers radios. The ones I mentioned, were "newer" ones. He had been in to HAM radio since the 1930's. I've mentioned this story before on this site.

My Grandparents lived in Hayward, Ca in 1941. My Grandfather had a room just for his radios. He was a WWI Vet, who fought in France. He did not get his gas mask on fast enough in one engagement, resulting in a tiny whiff of mustard gas. It was enough, that he had a nasty cough the rest of his life.

My grandfather talked to people all over the world. On Dec 7, 1941, he was doing just that. He was talking to someone he had talked with before. This guy just happened to be, in Pearl City, Hawaii.

While talking, my grandfather heard what sounded like explosions in the background. He knew what bombs sounded like from his battle expierience in some of the nastiest fighting in France.

His radio buddy jumped off the radio for a moment and went outside to see what was happening. When he got back on the radio he excalimed that they were under attack; he had clearly saw the Japanese planes. He briefly explained to my Grandfather, and then they both quickly signed off the air. Both went to radio silence.

My Grandmother walked in just after they signed off. She baked fresh bread every day, and had brought my Grandfather a plate of hot rolls and fresh coffee.

She said she had never before, or after, seen the look of shock on my my Grandfathers face. He looked up at her, and said "My God ma, we're at war. The Japs are bombing Pearl Harbor!".

I knew of all this for years. What I did not know until the last couple years, is what I found out from my uncles(my Grandfather passed away in 1980, Grandmother in 1995).

Dec 8, 1941, the US Army showed up at the house, and questioned my Grandfather. They also took his radio equipment for a few days. From what they could gather, he was one of the first on the mainland to know about the attack. They wanted to know how he came to be on the radio that morning, and what equipment he had.

Nothing more became of it from what I have been able to find. My uncles were about 5 and 7 at the time. They do not remember much more. They were more excited, because Dec 7 was one of my uncles birthday...

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
..and my late Mother-in-law shares this day with her birthday, and would make a trip each year to Calvary cemetery in Cleveland to plant flags a the graves of veterans who so valiantly fought.