• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What happened to Red Dog?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Have not heard from him for a few months. Anyone know what he is doing these days?

Trakternut

Maybe I can come up with something. My cousin's mother is a cousin??? to him.
It's through having him as a friend on Facebook that I connected with a cousin I hadn't seen since she was a baby and I was just a little kid.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I know this time of year he is really busy with his vegetables but even then in the past he used to pop in every now and then.

Trakternut

Well, Folks, about an hour ago, I spoke to REDDOG via phone. As suspected, he is extremely busy with his produce, busy selling and getting things set up for winter. For those of you who aren't familiar with the climate up here, we can start getting frost just about any time now. We are on borrow time, so each day must be used to its fullest. He has no help, so everything he does is by himself. He told me that he just goes on the computer for a bit each day to do some business, then, it's out the door to work. As I spoke to him, he was Menard's bound to purchase repairs for a leaky water heater.
He is well and will be back amongst us when things slow down.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, Folks, about an hour ago, I spoke to REDDOG via phone. As suspected, he is extremely busy with his produce, busy selling and getting things set up for winter. For those of you who aren't familiar with the climate up here, we can start getting frost just about any time now. We are on borrow time, so each day must be used to its fullest. He has no help, so everything he does is by himself. He told me that he just goes on the computer for a bit each day to do some business, then, it's out the door to work. As I spoke to him, he was Menard's bound to purchase repairs for a leaky water heater.
He is well and will be back amongst us when things slow down.

Thanks for the update, I'm glad he's just busy!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I was hoping he was just busy. Winter is coming and there ain't no stopping it. We have had 2 hard frost this past week and have not broke 50 degrees for 4 days now. I had ice in the buckets Friday morning.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Glad to hear Reddog is okay.

Depressing-- We are expecting flurries and frost overnight for the remainder of this coming week. We have also had a few already.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
After the call from Monte last night I dropped in to update you on why I have not been on for a while. I do appreciate the concern.

Garden produced well this year. Seventh year with the big garden and sales are right in the middle of all seven years. The problem is that I used to have help. Now just the two of us with some occasional outside help. My brother who used to be the biggest help could not help last year but that was not a problem as last year was the worst year I have had to date. He passed away in March and left the use of his house to my younger sister who is single and that means anything that needs doing I get to help out with, case in point water in furnace room, replaced the pressure valve in water heater as a friend of hers turned the temperature all of the way up and it was not working properly, just received a call from her and more water so there is water coming in from somewhere else, this is in addition to redoing a bathroom, painting a quite a few other things this last spring. Normal items for a home that in 55 years old.

My sister who has been helping has had knee problems so I get about three mornings a week from her helping with the pickling cucumbers and beans. We sold over two tons of pickles this year if you have an idea how much picking that is, it is a lot.

Had a 18 year old kid who was supposed to help with the potatoes, told him how to do go through the dirt and pick them up and yet for some reason he needed a shovel to dig out the trench to look for the potatoes, at the end of a week he learned how to do it correctly and his speed was up to about half of what my 68 year old sister was doing last year before the knee problems. Next year there will be no potatoes sold in large bags, cannot afford the labor to do it.

Have had the occasional help of one lady in selling at the market which has been good as we dropped the south market and just working the north market on four days a week and the sales up there have been good on those days as one of the other major vendors had a poor year.

This lady talked me into going to Fort Yates about 70 miles a way on their market day which is Friday and selling, I was hesitant, however it has been a good move as the tribe has a program where there issue vouchers to the elders which are only good at a farmers market if you are set up to receive them, I am the only vendor other that an occasional small local vendor there. This small town has accounted for more than twenty per cent of my sales this year. This has been rewarding in the way that this is the only way that a lot of these people have the chance to spend these vouchers and they are very appreciative of the fact that someone comes down there. In addition to all of that I have been asked to put on a hour long segment at the end of the month on produce pricing at the local college where they are having a one day program on opportunities for making money on the reservation.

Now back to work.

The tractor in the trench shows what happens when you get to be into to much of a hurry and do not watch where you are going. The pumpkins is just a small sampling of the garden this year and the only thing that I have time to take pictures of other than the greenhouse last spring. That is an eight foot wide bucket on the tractor.

New motorcycle I purchased in July to go to the hills for a week to get away before the selling started as the 98 would not start due to sitting for eight years and back ordered parts, it was finally fixed about two weeks ago, it will go to Florida and left down there for some winter riding.

Attachments

• Picture 072.jpg
    Picture 072.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Picture 088.jpg
    Picture 088.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Tomato.jpg
    Tomato.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 70
  • TRACTOR.jpg
    TRACTOR.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 74
  • SD.jpg
    SD.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 76

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad to hear you had a decent year crop wise. I hear you on the help part. The wife and I are kept real busy with our little garden and greenhouse. She wants another one if you want to stop by on your way to Florida and help out!:whistling: I have been scrounging items for it for the past month. Selling retail like that is tough as the demand does not always coincide with the crop coming in. Hope you get some good weather for riding. I am hoping for one more trip in our camper before it goes in the barn for the winter.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Geez, and here I thought you would be lounging around in the sun in your speedo with a young mistress. :shifty:

Glad to hear you are well RD! :beer:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Glad you're doing good Reddog.

I'm an avid gardener but that market gardening is a hard way to make a living. I had a B-I-L who tried it for several years but gave it up as the work nearly killed him. Spending 3 day a week at market means that you only have 4 days to get everything else done around the place and if you have outside obligations as well, it makes it darned near impossible. You have my respect and no ... I'm not willing to come and help out. :yum::yum: