• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What do you hear (or not) where you live?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I heard a siren in the distance yesterday and thought how unusual that is. I only hear them a couple times a year. As for seeing an emergency vehicle where I live, it's only once every few years.

Got me to thinking of what is commonly seen/heard here and what's rare.
Seeing/hearing off-road vehicles is daily.
Hearing gun shots is nearly every day.
Private airplanes are several times per day.
As mentioned, rarely see/hear an emergency vehicle.
I haven't included sounds of nature like birds and such as they're common but seeing deer or turkey is probably weekly.

What are some common or rare sights and sounds where you live?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I hear sirens daily.
Helicopters that go to Campbell's soup (or so I'm told), as well as life flight copters leaving Defiance county hospitals going to Toledo.
Planes because of various surrounding airports.
Traffic.
What I don't hear is wildlife like I used to.
The eagle spottings are rare now, but are overhead occasionally because of the river.

leadarrows

Planes, trains and automobiles.

I can hear grain drying fans. The race track on weekends and it is 7 miles away.

Chainsaws, farm equipment of all kinds. Neighbors dogs and rooster.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I forgot about the helicopters. Yes, we have life flight going overhead pretty much daily. I had an accident years ago and went to the local hospital. Well, they needed to life flight me to the city. I knew the medic onboard so I asked if they could buzz my house. They did, but even with the banking when they circled the house, I was strapped in so I couldn't see it. :(

Haven't seen an eagle here in months either. :(

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We are on the flight path to Lambert field.,,,;PLANES

The Railroad is a mile north with lots of grade crossings, and since GM is up in Wentzville along with everybody else in the county, ,,,; TRAINS

And, a five lane main road that was gravel when I bought my house, is constantly busy,,,; AUTOMOBILES

The Fire house is just down that main thoroughfare so, SIRENS

My neighbors have dogs, And lawn mowers, And leaf blowers, And sound systems.

Life in the burbs that used to be country.:hammer:

But I have a place in the Ozarks where even the putt-putt of a tractor is rare. My neighbor's cattle moo from time to time, and coyotes howl at night. The most frequent sound is tit mouse's and blue birds with the occasional eagle or hawk during the day. And at night, a whippoorwill.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I heard a siren in the distance yesterday and thought how unusual that is. I only hear them a couple times a year. As for seeing an emergency vehicle where I live, it's only once every few years.

Got me to thinking of what is commonly seen/heard here and what's rare.
Seeing/hearing off-road vehicles is daily.
Hearing gun shots is nearly every day.
Private airplanes are several times per day.
As mentioned, rarely see/hear an emergency vehicle.
I haven't included sounds of nature like birds and such as they're common but seeing deer or turkey is probably weekly.

What are some common or rare sights and sounds where you live?

Much like you, rarely a siren. If one is not obviously on TV we pause the TV to see if it is a siren nearby. Probably been a couple years since I've heard a siren here.

No private planes, really no planes at all. I see jet trails once in awhile but do not hear them. We go to the big city and see a plane and look up and say "What's That!???".

One weekend every month or two we'll have helicopter activity. Normally guard duty weekend training. Other times we hear helicopters looking for pot. That was more prevalent a few years ago. Last year I didn't hear any of them looking for mary jane.

Coyotes have been making themselves heard lately. Chain saws go daily. A couple neighbors have big wood piles and sell wood for extra cash.

ATV and UTV's daily. They are indispensable out here.

One neighbor has a couple horses so we hear them neighing on occasion. No cattle within sight but if we go for a UTV ride we pass plenty of bulls and cows.

I hear trains daily. Tracks are across the river in WV but the sound of their horn and the noise on tracks carry. Also hear river barges daily. The hum of the barge engine carries up to our house.

All so much better than the constant sirens and city noises I would hear when we lived in the big city.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
well down here in the woods I hear cows, chickens, hawks squawking, horses, dogs, helicopters, owls hooting, and sometimes hear wild turkeys, and many gun shots. Just saw a neighbor with a shotgun on his back who told me that he has had a cougar hanging around behind his house.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
This morning I heard turkeys out in the field. There must have been about 50 of them foraging for food.

Then I heard my wife telling me to get off my lazy ass and do something, so I took a nap. :yum:

Ahh, the sights and sounds of winter in Vermont.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
This morning I heard turkeys out in the field. There must have been about 50 of them foraging for food.

Then I heard my wife telling me to get off my lazy ass and do something, so I took a nap. :yum:

Ahh, the sights and sounds of winter in Vermont.

My wife told me to get up and do something the other day. She said you did nothing yesterday so what are you doing today? I responded "nothing."

"you did that yesterday," she retorted.

"I wasn't finished."

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We’re in the country so there’s ag equipment running a lot of the time.

On the flight path between DC and several gov installations such as Mt Weather so several helicopters a day.

Only a couple miles to town and a county fire station so a siren here or there is common.

We have horses and there is a large boarding stable down the road so a neigh or two is possible.

Honking geese too. If anyone wants a goose feel free to stop by. I won’t load, it’s “pick your own.” :bolt:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
noise-- u go immune if u so have to by, say, 2, 2:30am, as there's bar dwellers heading in; transit; ppl bickering; pets; festivals; sports events; concerts-- we have noise & noise, i luv that loud, usually, tho-- then I know there is always a pal nearby--

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I live on a tar-n-chip road in the sticks ..... 99% of the time I hear nothing

List in order of frequency ..........

Cars/truck driving by and that can be hours between seeing any
Dog bark
Animals (crows, turkey)
Gun shots
Chainsaw

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
well, I didnt hear it yesterday but I saw it. I was down by Skull Creek and an otter crossed the road in front of me. First time I have seen one. Have a goodun!!!\/

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Another country bumkin here. We live up on a little hill and sound really seems to carry here.

I hear the trains, especially when they sound off when approaching a crossing.

We have small aircraft flying around occasionally and also helicopters, both emergency medical and military.

Hear the occasional car and motorbike but no sirens or anything like that unless it is the Volunteer Fire Dept coming to deal with a pasture fire.

Hear a fair bit of shooting. It seems to come in spurts. I'll hear nothing for a few weeks and then they will be burning ammo for three or four days in a row. It doesn't all come from the same direction. One guy will loose off and remind the rest that they probably need a little practice too.

I hear dogs barking occasionally and can always count on the coyotes for an evening song.

My neighbor has peacocks running around and I can sometimes hear them screeching. They don't stay put. I've had to chase them away from around the house.

Everybody except one neighbor seem to have got rid of their cows and horses so not much noise on that front.

My fish don't make a sound but I know that they're there because the frogs aren't making enough noise to waken the dead anymore. It might pick up as the weather warms up.

Generally it's pretty quiet and I like it that way.
Some of the larger acreage around me is slowly being broken up in to smaller plots of 4 or 5 acres, sold off, and homes are being built. I'm lucky. My neighbor bought up all the land around me many years ago specifically to stop that from happening. He's getting old now, even older than me, and his health is deteriorating so I don't know what will happen in the future.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm in a city that's much like an oversized small town. Typical sirens and traffic. The airport is at the other end of the city. Most planes flying in are turbo props though we do get the occasional 737 flying in but you can sure notice when a cf18 comes in for a fuel stop. Being in the city I don't hear the birds chirping as much. I save all that for camp. Where it's so quiet that you can hear a fart from a mile away.

Canadian eh!!!

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
wind-- damn, u ought hear my panic as my windows sound as tho they may well be blown to shards via wind--

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
Not too bad here in Council Bluffs, Iowa. It is a railroad town so I hear trains tooting their horns. I live near Interstate 80, so I hear that noise.

I've been looking at homes in smaller towns around here. It would get rid of those noises and other things.

I have tinnitus from the Navy so I sleep with a fan on and that does drown out the noise.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
I also have tinnitus from loud motorcycles, race cars, and shooting all with no hearing protection. I now wear hearing aids and it seems to erase the ringing. Have a goodun!!!

leadarrows

I forgot about the warthogs (A10's) we seem to be in their flight path. I swear years ago they were only 10 feet off the top of the barn. I had one year's ago so low over my field when he tipped his wings I could see the pilot wave at me. They have not been that low for years now. One hit a building at the Indianapolis airport and they took it up a bit ever since.

I get regular loads of mulch and wood so I hear back-up warning beeper's a lot.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
silence 4 a few, wind, scads of that-- then ppl, they'll be grabbing transit soon enough, yelling;-- yay-- 'cept lady gaga songs keep going thru my mind-- bad romance, namely-- we went to her movie, & she got an award tonite, & my guy best-pal that is usually 100% guy, admits that he wept when gaga won-- we listen to her when we're imbibing-- my babs squeaking her toy mouse & purrin'--
should see that movie-- it'll get to u--

Last edited:

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
well, I didnt hear them but I went town this morning and saw 7 deer in the driveway, 3 skunks and 3 rabbits on the road from my house. Spring is coming and the critters are starting to celebrate!!!!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Howdy,
well, I didnt hear them but I went town this morning and saw 7 deer in the driveway, 3 skunks and 3 rabbits on the road from my house. Spring is coming and the critters are starting to celebrate!!!!

That may explain the road runner on my back deck this morning. It drove the dogs crazy and didn't seem to be in the least upset by all the barking.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
That may explain the road runner on my back deck this morning. It drove the dogs crazy and didn't seem to be in the least upset by all the barking.

You need to get your dogs some of those ACME anti-road runner kits, like Wile E. Coyote uses. :yum: