• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help with Catering food for OhioTC's (Jerry') Funeral

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I spoke with Phyllis today. As we all know or can imagine she is having such a rough time. I told her if htere was anything I or we might be able to help with say the world and I will do what I can and ask for forum help if needbe. She could no think of anything but thanked me and spoke of how much Jerry would speak of folks here and how he loved this place and all the people on here. We were like a 2nd family to him and I had to admit I know the feeling as I feel the same about you all.

Jerry and Phyllis were down to our place that one year that the crazy Aussie, aka Vin, was crossing the country and stopped for a couple nights here at our boat club. We all went for a couple house boat rides and got to know each other much better.

So my wife (Gail) asked Phyllis how she was set for food. She said she invited everyone over to her house after the service since it is 5 mins from the graveyard but she had absolutely no food for everyone. So I'd like to throw together small catered set up for her. But I'll need your guys help to do it right. Hoping 4 or 5 hundred would cover it but I'm writing this then contacting caterers. Will post more once I find one that is available for this Friday.

Paypal or check would work. If I know a check is coming I can cover it. But I'd need to know by tomorrow so I have a good idea of how much help yall can offer up on such short notice.

Thanks all. :tiphat:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do appreciate your help.

I talked with one caterer but he called back and had to decline as he does not have anyone for Friday ... Other caterers closed at 5. I've left messages but waiting for call backs.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Caterer problem solved. Olive Garden can deliver a full array of 'stuff'. Salad, breadsticks, pasta station, lasagna etc. So that could work.

Waiting to hear from Phyllis with a guesstimate on number of people and whether or not Olive Garden sounds good to her.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
30 people and Olive Garden sounded perfect to Phyllis.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well ....Olive Garden does not deliver to Jerry's address. :pat:
I've asked Phyllis if someone could pick it up but have not heard back on that yet.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Let us know what it ends up being if you can work out the details. I'm sure there's enough of us long timers here to cover it.

Canadian eh!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Let us know what it ends up being if you can work out the details. I'm sure there's enough of us long timers here to cover it.

Canadian eh!!!
Thanks Brian.

Phyllis said they can pick up the order at Olive Garden, no prob. So I'm looking at the catering options on the OG site. We can provide 3 appetizer setups for $60 and a chicken parmison combo with a lasanga combo for a little over $400. That would give them some finger food and dinner for 28. We already have $100 donated, thanks Jim and Franc!!!!! I hope we'll be able to cover that ..if not I can back it down. Verbal commits are okay just hoping to have a good idea of who is giving what by dinnertime tomorrow so I can place the order. If we have enough commits before then I will post here.
Thanks again guys and gals!!! :tiphat:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank Big Dawg. :clap: :tiphat: We are up to $150 ...plus my $50 makes it $200. Halfway to our goal!!!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
$ sent (and it's not for site supporter status if that shows up in the memo).

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Can you post a link here for donations? I mainly use my phone or tablet for the forums and don't see the PayPal link.

EDIT:
I fired up the old laptop and made a donation.

Canadian eh!!!

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys!!!!!!
Understood BC Brian. I know all donated now is not for site supporter even if it might say that. You can use the site supporter link at top of page for donations or on paypal just select send money and type in this email address gregp AT dothq .com
With all your support we have the 400 OG order covered. I wll place it this morning. No more donations needed guys. Thanks to all who stepped up. :tiphat: :clap: :clap: :clap:

If more donations do come in they will go for flowers. It would be nice to have some sent from Forums Forums members.

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys!!!!!!
Understood BC Brian. I know all donated now is not for site supporter even if it might say that. You can use the site supporter link at top of page for donations or on paypal just select send money and type in this email address gregp AT dothq .com
With all your support we have the 400 OG order covered. I wll place it this morning. No more donations needed guys. Thanks to all who stepped up. :tiphat: :clap: :clap: :clap:

If more donations do come in they will go for flowers. It would be nice to have some sent from Forums Forums members.

Awesome & WOW! Thanks for coordinating this.

What a great bunch of folks we have here.:clap:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Doc, I sent mine to Doc at forumsforums.com. Did you get that money?

Yes indeed, the goats made a donation. Thanks Jim!!!!

I"ll 2nd that Franc!!!! Awesome group we have here. My official 2nd family. :D

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A bit late ,but better late than not at all .. hope it helped a bit .
Thanks John. :tiphat:

I placed the order. $407 worth of goodness from Olive Garden. Plenty of good eats. Appitizers, plenty of salad and Lasagna, chicken parmesan, Some type of Alfredo and more. Something for everyone.

Phyllis has already expressed so much gratitude for us helping her. She had no idea how she was going to take care of food for this, I'm so glad Gail thought to ask that question and with your alls help we could come to the rescue. You all are awesome!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :tiphat: :thewave: :thewave:

No more donations please. We got this covered. I'm picking up a condolences card this afternoon and sending it out from all of us on the forums. Food seems so much more appropriate than flowers to me. So I think we did the right thing.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jerry's wife Phyllis sent the following:

So sorry I couldn't get back with you sooner. Just wanted to let you know that the food was FANTASTIC!!!!! Could not have asked for anything better. You guys went Above and Beyond and I can never thank you enough!!!

Also the dust has settled and I got the donation that Glazier Sean promised. I have tallied up everything and we raised a total of $540.
Cost for Olive Garden was $407 and the cost for the condolences card was $5. So I spent a total of $412

$540 - $412 = $128.

I will send a check for that amount to Phyllis on Friday, once things have warmed up a bit around here.

Again, I want to thank you all for pitching in and helping the widow of a quality member who had been with us from the beginning of this forum. Jerry will sure be missed, and I am so proud of you all for helping ease the burden on his wife Phyllis. Kudos to all who donated. You are AWESOME!!!!!!

====================
Another thought we all might want to consider. I love our forum family. I think we all try to keep up with you all and things that are happening but what if the worst happens? How would your friends here on the forums know? We all take little breaks from the internet. So we don't panic if someone is MIA for a bit, but if something bad were to happen we would want to know. Please consider keeping a contact or two in the loop with your contact info off the forum just in case we need to check up on you. Had I not had Jerry's contact number we would not have known what was going on. We were a few months behind finding out that Big Al had passed. If we know, we can pay condolence properly. We've grown so close over the years it seems like the right thing to do.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree doc. When I had my accident the only way you all knew was because you had me as a friend on Facebook I believe. Otherwise I could have passed on and nobody here would have known.

Canadian eh!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was a tad to quick on the trigger for the post above. Our favorite lawyer, JPR sent in $50 for the cause. Thanks JPR! :tiphat: He told me he was going to send it but I got him mixed up with another who was going to mail but ended up using paypal. So, now we have a total of $178 for Phyllis. Sure glad I had not mailed that out yet. I'm hibernating until it warms up. That should be Friday if the weather dude is correct.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
"Favorite lawyer". Now there's an oxymoron. :wink:

I'm just glad we all could help comfort Phyllis.