• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fencing (electric saber)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My daughter has been fencing this fall, and seems to have really taken to the sport. I'd never seen it (other than on TV) before my daughter started lessons and joined the local club.

Its an interesting sport. There are 3 different types of 'swords' used. Epee, Foil and Saber. My daughter fences with a Saber, which is the fastest and most brutal of the 3. Epee and Foil are more like playing chess and they have sensors on the very tips of the blades to sense touches of your opponent. Saber favors speed and also favors the attacker. Its common to get 'wacked' pretty hard with a saber, and bruises, even through the padding occur. Melen is one of only 2 girls the local fencing club, the other is a senior in high school who fences both Saber and Epee. We're considering sending her to a high school in Illinois that has a fencing team, but they don't fence Saber at that school so we are hoping they will change policy over the next year?

Here are some pictures just in case anyone is interested.

The first 2 pictures show close ups of the blade. The blade is triangular in shape near the base (called a bell) to prevent flexing. There is also something that looks like a blood groove, but it is not for that purpose, it is to control flexing farther up the blade.

Picture 3 shows the tip of a Saber. The shape of the blade changes from the rigid triangular to square about 1/2 way up the length of the blade. The purpose is to allow the blade to flex up/down and side/side. The tip is rounded off, or hooked, to prevent puncture of your opponent. Basically in saber you can beat the other guy with your blade, but you are not allowed to run him through!

Picture 4 shows the handle of a saber. It offers protection to the users knuckles, and also has an electrical connector to connect the saber, by wires, to the scoring lights.

Attachments

• 1blade1.jpg
    1blade1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 1blade2.jpg
    1blade2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 1saber-tip.jpg
    1saber-tip.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 1electric-handle.jpg
    1electric-handle.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 79

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here are some photos of the mask. Its as heavy as it looks and very necessary. Its also well padded and very hot to wear. I've seen a few people stabbed in the neck where the saber tip goes up under the mask's bib and impacts the opponent in the neck. The tip doesn't usually contact skin as it typically catches their collar, but it sure looks like it hurts.

Attachments

• 1mask-1.jpg
    1mask-1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 1mask.jpg
    1mask.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 1mask-view.jpg
    1mask-view.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 1through-mask.jpg
    1through-mask.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 82

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here are a couple of action shots. A saber match be over in under a minute. You need to score 5 hits. The hits must be on the arms, head or torso of your opponent. The attacking person is the only person who can score so if you are in a defensive posture and your blade strikes your opponent the touch/hit does not count. You must stop the attack and then counter attack, which, of course, your opponent will try to stop and then counter. It is very fast and often a point is scored in just a matter of two or 3 seconds, but in that time there can be an attack, counter, etc.

It takes a well trained eye to follow the nuances of the action to determine which person is actually on the attack. I've been watching for the past few months and have a difficult time keeping track of who is the attacker. Still it is fascinating to watch.

Attachments

• 1on-guard.jpg
    1on-guard.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 1saber-attack-contact.jpg
    1saber-attack-contact.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 1saber-lunge-attack.jpg
    1saber-lunge-attack.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 1saberattack1.jpg
    1saberattack1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 79

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't know bob ....... In that last group of pictures some guy in Long Johns is doing something behind those fencer dudes . Why is he taking off his pants and why are you there taking pictures ??????.....
Are you coming out of the closet ? Very strange ....

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al, that is the dressing area. But that person is taking his 'electric' lame jacket off. The jackets are made of a metallic fiber that completes the electric circuit when they are struck by the blade of the saber. They not only cover your upper body, but also wrap under your crotch to provide some much needed protection to the lower extremities! Most people also wear a cup, despite the fact that the jackets are padded, there is also a undergarment that is covers the strong side to prevent punctures and the pants (knickers) are lightly padded, all 3 garments protect your groin area by overlapping each other.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I dunno Bob . You sure your not Gay ? I mean its ok by me .. It just leaves more women for us "Real Kristi Guys".
Knickers ???? Is that a gay term ????.....

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Dang ! I hate it when you use big words (oxymoron) and I got to go look them up to find out what you said .

And your welcome ..... I think ...