• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ethanol exports of corn ramping up

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kinda like I figured it would, the domestic market was the main concern. But without the tax credits I predicted increased exports. Looks like I was right. The industry is now reacting to market forces, because it can. And our currancy value is well, not like it used to be.....

http://www.spesend.net/CampResource/2R0H8E4TI4FQSG1W/9/text.pdf

Just for every ones information. Like I still maintain, I am neither for nor against the use of dent corn for ethanol. I do benifit from the higher corn prices of a competetive market, much more competition for corn with ethanol demand. :flowers:

I will add however the inventories of ethanol are at an all time high. Less fuel being used to mix it with.

Regards, Kirk

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If the ethanol market can sustain itself without the benefit of government subsidies, then I will pay the 11 bucks/pound for prime loin.

Next we need to get rid of the automatic addition of ethanol to the gas I buy.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That woud effectively kill the ethanol industry. Not going to happen untill a better alternative for it can be found. It's about adding chemical oxygen to the fuel, as I understand it. EPA and Congress hold that key. Trust me many in the oil industry are trying to crack that nut, but in so many years haven't been able to do so. It isn't easy.

By the way the subsidies are gone, only the mandate remains. I predict it is solid.

Regards, Kirk

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That woud effectively kill the ethanol industry. Not going to happen untill a better alternative for it can be found. It's about adding chemical oxygen to the fuel, as I understand it. EPA and Congress hold that key. Trust me many in the oil industry are trying to crack that nut, but in so many years haven't been able to do so. It isn't easy.

By the way the subsidies are gone, only the mandate remains. I predict it is solid.

Regards, Kirk
Then I want my 6 buck/pound loins back, drilling in Alaska and the Gulf, a pipeline from Canada, less taxes on the fuel I buy and encouragement of the usage of our abundant natural gas.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jimbo,

Not sure you understand why the ethanol is in there? To help with air polution....

Not only that the Beef industry is besieged with export orders to fill with our beef. If it is cheaper to you it is that much more cheap for them. Don't expect your prices to decline anytime soon. Competiton will see to that. Record low cow numbers as well. Sorry....

Regards, Kirk

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter

Regards, Kirk
I found this article you might find interesting Kirk, allthough I know very little about ethanol other then what I here on the farm reports. :unsure:

Business Study Suggests Ethanol Mandates Aren’t Justified

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/study-ethanol-mandates-not-the-way-to-go/

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't buy enough gas anymore to make a difference for me. I just keep that crappy ethanol stuff out of my small engines, especially the two strokers, as non ethanol gas is readily available to me here for about the same price. It seems to make no difference using it in my cars and truck.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anderson bases his conclusion on a study of the current demand for ethanol, or E85, in the United States.

Why would he use E85 with a tiny market share? E10 is the product mandated....:whistling:

Ethanol is more expensive to make than gasoline and must therefore be sold at a loss or subsidized unless, of course, consumers are willing to make up the difference, Anderson said.

Wild assumption with this one. Depends on the price of crude and refinery margins. A "sometimes" thing. It is no longer subsidiesed. The costs to move it are high because of a lack of a dedicated pipline to the coasts.:glare:

“But from an economic perspective, mandating ethanol doesn’t appear to be the best option,” Anderson said. “Not only is it expensive, but the amount of emissions it reduces might not be that large.”

Wild accusations with NO supporting evidence...You are now being led by the author whom you are to just trust? Come on now this is loosing it's believeabilty factor fast....Reams of documentation that says otherwise.:w00t2::clap:

Well, that sort of negates the entire purpose, doesn’t it?

Only in the minds of those who choose to ignor the science, evidence, and facts, other wise I'm good with that one....:wink:

The rest is a bunch of stuff about the Chevy volt as an alternative...:yum::yum::yum:

Seriously this guy who wrote this is a thinly veiled attemp to question the mandate and mislead you into thinking he is the one who is right about this whole issue, and you're not supposed to know why, as only his opinion is being expressed. No supporting evidence, just his opinion. But Americans are now a dumb people, and eat this stuff like it is candy, if it supports our beliefs...wrong or not.

Glad to have you back here Cowboy!!

Kirk

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As far as I know, there is no station in the Richmond area that sells pure gasoline.
I would buy pure gasoline in a minute if I could, since I get 40 miles more per tank with gasoline than with gasohol. Factor in the energy cost to produce, the loss of mileage, and the damage to vehicles produced by gasohol, and it is a losing proposition for everyone except those growing corn.

Since I go farther on gasoline than alcohol, I wonder how much pollution is saved by the product when you factor in manufacturing, transportation, and loss of mileage, not to mention the reduced life expectancy of the engines.

Kane

Kinda like I figured it would, the domestic market was the main concern. But without the tax credits I predicted increased exports. Looks like I was right. The industry is now reacting to market forces, because it can. And our currancy value is well, not like it used to be.....

http://www.spesend.net/CampResource/2R0H8E4TI4FQSG1W/9/text.pdf

Just for every ones information. Like I still maintain, I am neither for nor against the use of dent corn for ethanol. I do benifit from the higher corn prices of a competetive market, much more competition for corn with ethanol demand. :flowers:

I will add however the inventories of ethanol are at an all time high. Less fuel being used to mix it with.

Regards, Kirk
Actually the USD has been stronger all throughout the EURO crisis with Greece et.al., so other export market forces are at work as well. It seems odd to me that sales to Brazil are high, since sugar cane is king of bio-mass there. WTF?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
As far as I know, there is no station in the Richmond area that sells pure gasoline.
I would buy pure gasoline in a minute if I could, since I get 40 miles more per tank with gasoline than with gasohol. Factor in the energy cost to produce, the loss of mileage, and the damage to vehicles produced by gasohol, and it is a losing proposition for everyone except those growing corn.

Since I go farther on gasoline than alcohol, I wonder how much pollution is saved by the product when you factor in manufacturing, transportation, and loss of mileage, not to mention the reduced life expectancy of the engines.

Interesting you mention that. The Enviros are always quick to point out to the pro nuclear group that their power is not zero carbon because of all the energy used to manufacture and transport the fuel rods to the site. However they seem oblivious to how much carbon is used to manufacture and transport ethanol to it's final destination. I am not a fan of ethanol. I have accepted it because what the hell can I do. One man, one vote.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have not checked the numbers, but it might be that sugar prices are such that it pays to convert cane into sugar for export, then import alcohol from the US.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ethanol from sugar cane takes two season to develope. Double the land for a given out put. Yes more effecient but few realise the two year part....and it is the killer in cold climates.

regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Buy feeder calves.:clap:

US cattle herds are at 92,000. Lowest since the 60's. One reason beef is priced high.

I know we are exporting beef. But curiously we are also importing it.

Buy calves this spring. $.60 on the hoof, let them feed on the abundant grasses growing in the CO2 enriched warmer climate. Sit back on the front porch and sip your corn after Jack Danniels puts the cornmash alcohol thru some charcoal.

See there is a benefit to brewing and burning corn besides the good wiskey :clap:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
When Europe suffers a loss they turn to the US dollar. Or so they have in the past anyway....I expect when Greese defalts it will drive up the dollar and grain prices will go down as a result. good time to sell before the hammer drops.

Kirk out

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
When Europe suffers a loss they turn to the US dollar. Or so they have in the past anyway....I expect when Greese defalts it will drive up the dollar and grain prices will go down as a result. good time to sell before the hammer drops.

Kirk out

When Greece defaults then goes Spain, Portugal and Italy. The dominoes wil continue until the end of the chain,,,,that'd be USA.

Our leaders have monetized the debt. Never been successfuly done without a rampant inflationary 'Adjustment."
I doubt any real improvement in the dolloar whenGreece falls.

Hold on, it is going to be a rough ride.

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
However they seem oblivious to how much carbon is used to manufacture and transport ethanol to it's final destination. .

Tipically this is written off cause the corn is going to be grown anyway. But there is more acerage being planted no doubt. But to be fair you cann't claim all the carbon credits belonging to ethanol production. Most of the corn crop is going to be grown regardless if it is converted to ethanol...

Regards, Kirk