• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How hard is it to learn to ride a motorcycle?

Bamby

I do see your point and very well understand seeking "value". I've never ridden any of the big really heavy road bikes but the various ones I have ridden weight wasn't really a factor unless a person laid it down for some stupid reason.

Of the bikes you have on your short list the VFR1200X is the only model listing ABS brakes. ABS brakes if they work and perform properly like they should would be a big plus in my book especially for a inexperienced rider. Improperly applied braking has created a lot of road rash especially in a panic stop situation and working ABS may be the path to prevention.

Anyway it sounds like a good time, pick wisely and enjoy your trip.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All 3 of the Honda choices have the option of ABS.

Melen is coming home from college next Friday. This trip is going to be a topic of conversation with the lovely Mrs_Bob. How that goes is going to be a factor in what happens next.

grizzer

I never considered a long trip each on a bike in bad weather takes the fun out.

A larger bike to carry most loads and a reverser might be a good thing.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I never considered a long trip each on a bike in bad weather takes the fun out.

A larger bike to carry most loads and a reverser might be a good thing.

Used to traveling fairly light, and with some backpacking background we can, if we choose, travel very light. So with that in mind I'd like the bikes to be on the lighter end of the spectrum but still large enough to manage a trip with relative comfort. 500# seems like a pretty good target weight and that NC700X from Honda, with luggage, would probably top out right over that point. The larger Africa Twin with the heavier DCT automatic transmission would probably be closer to 565# with luggage & gear. The BMW with the 1200cc twin Boxer engine would run about the same weight as the Africa Twin but not have the automatic transmission.

To put that into perspective, a smaller H-D, which is not suitable for gravel roads around my property, is going to have a bare weight of about 565#, without luggage boxes or luggage so figure that would be closer to 625# and it would have a smaller engine too. The Sportster 1200T SuperLow is another option, 599# with fluids, so again back up to 625# loaded and ready to go, but again, no gravel roads for that bike and also much lower fuel economy so 50% fuel stops. While a H-D V-Rod Special would be pushing 700# in weight with bags and luggage.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Learning to ride is easy, continuing to ride is a little harder as you must be 300% defensive and alert to all other drivers around you. We sold our motorcycles last spring and decided at our age the bumps and bruises in a "what if" would be hard to heal. Everyone should try it in their life and find out if it is for them or not. I rode for 53 years and loved every moment except for the time the dog hit me and put me on crutches for 6 weeks but I got right back on for another 49 years of riding.:clap:
motrcycle.jpg

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
One thing that most riders don't take into account is that the throttle can be a defensive weapon, often times far more effective than the brakes. Slowing or stopping can sometimes be more dangerous than speeding up to clear the area of danger.

Remember, a motorcycle, even a small one, will outperform most 4-wheeled vehicles in many circumstances.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, how did I miss this thread ................. I've been riding for 48 years, I was 8 when I got my first motorcycle.

The biggest issue I've found with beginners is maneuvering the clutch, anyone can shift but the coordination between shifting and clutch work it the stickler. I bought a cheap clutch operated quad for the wife to practice shifting so she didn't have to concentrate on keeping the bike up. She transitioned to 2 wheel fine after having the shifting down.

Your state DMV more than likely has a motorcycle class with motorcycles provide. In PA its 2 - 4 hour evenings in class and 2 - 8 hour weekend practicals which includes examination at the end of the second day. BTW, rain or shine. My wife took hers a few years ago in a downpour and passed. Emrgency braking is the most important lesson, it's re-enforced continually.

Bob, your first machine shouldn't have anything with a seat height more than 26" just for stability. If you do any homework you're gonna find the Honda Shadow 750 comes up the majority of the time for a first street bike. My wife has the Spirit model and she loves it, they are very comfortable. My only suggestion might be go with the Shadow Aero or Phantom models, their front end is a bit beefier.