• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Any good carpenters?

dzalphakilo

Banned
Wife's in Vegas for the week, staying at home with the animals catching up on some chores and doing some projects around the house.

Ever take the time go to a box store, get a list of materials you think you'll need, get out the miter saw, along with everything else, then start your project and then some time later you ever wonder why you picked up the hammer and saw in the first place??

With me it's like russian roulette (sp?). Hours go by and I can get lucky and the project turns out like I want, then I have a day like today where I'm seriously thinking of taking most of the wood down in back and just burn it. A nice wasted day.

I admire Carpenters who know what they are doing, sad to say, I'm not one of them.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Your problem is obvious.

You just haven't built up a large enough pile of supplies (otherwise known as crap!) yet. Once you have enough supplies (crap!) laying around, you can pretty much just do whatever you need to do without going out to buy every little thing for each project.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Good carpentry can't be rushed. There are some projects I want to do but until I have a big shop where I can lay everything out and measure it and prepare it then I am not going to tackle those projects.

It does help to have every little jig and tool known to mankind as well.

There's also a certain art in knowing how to hide or deal with mistakes.

Carpenters that know what they are doing are only that way through experience.

Chalk it up to a learning experience. Learn from what didn't work out.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Purchase this book, and when a carpentry question comes to mind, you will find the answer. I bought this before building my home, and it was very valuable in making sure that things were done properly. I already had a lot of experience, but the book validated my experiance......

Modern Carpentry by Willis H. Wagner

It cost $16.95 in 1980, and is worth every cent....... Junk

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
DZ, what type of carpentry are you trying to do?

Interior Finishing, Cabinetry, Furniture. They all are a little different.

A good "free" source of info is to get some carpentry/woodworking magazine subscriptions (Wood, Woodsmith, Shopnotes, Workbench). Sign up for one year and then cancel (just don't pay the renewal bill). They will continue to send you magazines for another 1-2 years for free. :whistle:

After 2-3 years the content starts to repeat itself so if you saved them all you will have a nice library of project ideas. I have a stack that is around 2 feet thick.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
You just haven't built up a large enough pile of supplies (otherwise known as crap!) yet. Once you have enough supplies (crap!) laying around, you can pretty much just do whatever you need to do without going out to buy every little thing for each project.

I salute you. :applause: :applause:

You have managed to put my entire life's philosophy into two sentences.

I humbly request your permission to put this on a sign over my shop door.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
RoadKing said:
I humbly request your permission to put this on a sign over my shop door.

Sure thing. It will only cost you a couple beers if I ever go inside your shop. :yum:

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Sure thing. It will only cost you a couple beers if I ever go inside your shop. :yum:

I'm not sure where you are but I'm hoping to be in Joliet in mid may.