• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Back on the water!

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Well headed back to sea for a bit, headed to Dutch Harbor shortly to take one boat down and another back.

Will post a bunch of photos later. Trip should be about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 weeks depending on the weather!

This will be home for a bit!

Attachments

• OSM.jpg
    OSM.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 114

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a fun trip Foggy , thanks for taking us along and have a safe trip. :smile:

BTW, Nice to know your taking plenty of spare tires in case of a flat. :dizzy::yum:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Won't be much of a season on the water this late in the year will it? I figure by November things will start freezing up for you. Are you hauling freight for drilling crews?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like an interesting trip. It's getting a bit late in the year, isn't it?

Lots and lots of pictures please!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It does sound like fun. I'd love to do that sometime.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I was asking myself the same question, looks like a fishing boat with the cranes and rigging removed:unsure:

Looks like an oil rig supply boat. I've ridden in and on a bunch of them but I didn't know that anyone was working up around Dutch Harbor.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
These boats mostly started out as "Mud Boats" in the Gulf of Mexico, as they aged, many were bought to be used as Crab/fishing boats because of the deck/tank space on them. This boat and others are used in the Cook inlet by Anchorage, they haul freight, drilling pipe and mud out to the oil rigs there. The winter ice is a hazard, but they run year round. A few years ago, the ice did drag one down when it was tied off to a rig. The crew were lucky and escaped injury though when they were all able to get onto a man-lift basket that the platform had lowered for something else.

It was tied off stern first to the outgoing tide which runs from eight to ten knots. The ice just came up over the stern and sank the boat in a few moments.

When the tide changes, the water rushing around the oil platforms legs looks like a river, very fast water! Looks the same on both incoming and outgoing tides.

Well headed back towards Cook Inlet (Anchorage area) tomorrow morning. Later guys!