• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Replace transmission, or replace car?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Possibly the best thing to do is to buy a 1 year old car with low miles and drive that for a year and then repeat the process. That way, you will be getting the best of the life of the vehicle and with the least amount of expense.

HGM

Junkman said:
The drums are or were made out of spun aluminum and from what I have learned about them, they are the weak part of all Ford transmissions. Those transmissions that have been rebuilt by independent rebuilders don't use this original part and substitute it with a better made product and those transmissions have a better track record of lasting. Junk....

Junk, the drums are steel but the forward piston is the spun aluminum you are talking about.. They had a major problem in the 90's with that but to my knowledge, it hasnt been an issue for a while..

The price keeps getting better, I'd probably keep it, but I dont mind working on it either.. Might be a good idea for to do the self lease idea Junk mentioned though..

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Just an update...I sold this car last night. I drove it for 6k miles since I replaced the transmission and I decided to get rid of it. I put it out at the road last Wednesday and it's gone today. $3,900, so at least I got my repair money out of it. Now comes the worst part: having to buy a new one! Reading the recent threads about car salesman and their high moral character, I just can't wait to visit the dealerships!

Lawrence