• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

You know you live in (or outside of) a small town when...

AndyM

Charter Member
This might be fun. I'll start and add a few later on.

You know you live in (or outside of) a small town when...

...the only police officer in town is also the zoning officer.
...the mayor has more than 10 vehicles in his yard.
...distance to a business is measured from the only light in town (2 blocks north of the light, for example)
...you're 8 houses from the center of town, but also 8 houses from the edge of town.

Trakternut

A traffic jam is two pickups, side by side, while the drivers talk about their crops and cattle.

The tallest building in town, besides the water tower, is the grain elevator.

Directions are also given, using people's homes as references, as in: "Take the next right after the Larson's house and go down past Filmore's old place...you know, the old Walter's place...and take another left..."

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It takes 5 minutes to get to work.
The total area is 2.9 sq miles.
Everyone knows your name.
The sign on the outskirts of town claim it's a CITY, but it's more like a village than a town even.
Which is why I love it here so much! :wub:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Your town doesn't have a light... just a speed zone (as it is where I live).

Some of the roads are only wide enough for one vehicle (the north end of my road).

Ironman

When your Son is dating the daughter of a Girl you dated in high school. (I told him he might be dating his Sister :yum: )

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
When your Son is dating the daughter of a Girl you dated in high school. (I told him he might be dating his Sister :yum: )

I can relate...:doh:

I'll add one more......there are no traffic lights.

I hate traffic lights. :hammer: You city slickers can have your traffic jams at rush hour...

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I can relate...:doh:

I'll add one more......there are no traffic lights.

I hate traffic lights. :hammer: You city slickers can have your traffic jams at rush hour...

I drive 38 miles one way to work and there is only one stop light about a mile from the office. :clap:

BoneheadNW

You can drive 360 degrees around the town and still be at the waterfront as the only way out of town is by boat.
Bone

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
A major reference point for driving directions is the 4-way stop.

The two cafes in town close on different days so no one goes hungry (though the fare leaves going hungry a reasonable alternative).

The entire high school senior class rides with the principal and his wife in his sedan on their annual class trip.

The medical center is open one day a week.

The mall is a small thrift store. The food court is a hot dog stand, open once a month.

There are no sidewalks to roll up at night.

You have to close the gate from your street onto the main street to keep the cattle and horses in.

AndyM

Charter Member
...one of the employees calls off work because her electricity is out and she has to make sure the cows don't get out.

AndyM

Charter Member
The local telephone company volunteers each year to hang the Christmas decorations on the light poles downtown because the town is so small, they don't have the equipment to do it themselves.