• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rules For Politically Correct Forum

Bamby

How to Be Politically Correct

The expression "politically correct" came about in the 1970's and was intended to mean "inclusive." It referred to the use of language that would not cause an individual of any demographic (social or cultural) group to feel excluded, offended, or diminished.
It now seems to have been redefined by those who prefer an exclusive culture and dominance for themselves or their group. The distortions were made popular by comedians who observed the change in U.S. culture toward more inclusiveness and the struggle many people had in breaking exclusionary habits.
Steps

1. Be careful when addressing groups or talking about others, use language that would not make any person feel excluded, diminished or devalued.
  2. Avoid language that addresses only one demographic group unless it is intended for that group only, such as using "men" when you mean "all people." Accurate descriptions are the essence of 'political correctness.'
  3. Avoid titles that are exclusionary, such as "Chairman" (use "Chairperson"); "Fireman" (use Fire Fighter); and "Stewardess" (use "Flight Attendant"). The use of titles that exclude persons of a different gender or other social groups is usually acceptable when addressing an individual, as in a business setting, where Mr. Smith is the CEO, and you are introducing him as "Mr. Smith, our Chairman of the Board".
  4. Avoid expressions that are derogatory with regard to physical or mental abilities, such as "handicapped" or "retarded". Instead, use person first language, such as "person with a disability" or "person with Down's Syndrome". People have disabilities, they are not defined by them. In many cases, simply addressing the person who has mental, physical, or other challenges in the same terms as you would address anyone else is the ideal solution.
  5. Avoid overly-cautious racial descriptions that can be offensive. For example, say "African American" only when talking about Americans who have immigrated from or hold dual-citizenship in an African country. Otherwise the person is simply an American. In the case that you are unsure of a person's citizenship, "black" and "white" are acceptable terms.
  6. Avoid the use of religious terms when speaking to a group that may include people who belong to different religions (ex., saying "God Bless" at a local event). The exception here is in the context of describing either academically or referentially specific characteristics of such a group, as in "Evangelical Christians hold certain beliefs...", or "Jewish people commonly recognize Yom Kippur...".
  7. Be sensitive to the inferences people may read in to the words you choose. Many common expressions have roots in a less inclusive social climate, and only time and education can completely eliminate them (ex., if you are asking if a girl is taken, asking "Do you have a boyfriend?" would be politically incorrect, as it makes them exclusively heterosexual. Instead ask, "Are you seeing/dating anyone?"). By the same token, each cultural group has equal protection from offensive generalizations and slurs, not just a certain ethnic group or gender.
  8. Respect every individual's right to choose the language and words that best describe their race, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, or physical ability. Don't get defensive if someone rejects language which dis-empowers, marginalizes, confines, or diminishes them. The ability to name is a daunting power; individuals should play a role in selecting words to describe themselves.

[edit] Tips

• When speaking and writing, your audience is likely to include people of differences; if you want to be taken seriously, use language that includes all of them and does not offend any subgroup.
  • Consult a writing guide to learn appropriate terms of inclusive language for people, such as the "Publication Guide of the American Psychological Association." Look up "bias in language."

[edit] Warnings

• Using exclusive language can be unlawful in some settings, such as the workplace, and can lead to undesirable consequences, such as termination.
  • Your reputation can be damaged by the use of exclusive language, thereby causing you to be considered untrustworthy of holding a leadership position in social, business or political organizations.
  • In modern era, "politically correct" does not mean you should not offend anyone; it means no one will be able to accuse you in having said anything wrong.

I guess in reading some of the responses lately I guess we probably all need to read the rules of politically correct. For some members seem to indirectly become part of that crowd at least when the position suits them.
http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Politically-Correct

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
  • When speaking and writing, your audience is likely to include people of differences; if you want to be taken seriously, use language that includes all of them and does not offend any subgroup.
Are they saying all subgroup's be offended equally to be taken seriously? :unsure:

Locutus

Banned
It has has been my experience that people who are offended by a lack of political correctness have a chip on their shoulder, and will always dig deep enough to find something to be "offended" by anyway.

IMHO, PC sucks!

Bamby

I think what that means if your going to offend anybody word it in such a way as to have everybody offended. Come to think of it that would not be all that hard at times would it. Especially as testy and sensitive as some seam to be during the current events going on right now.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Phew! :pat: That's a lot to try to navigate in day-to-day conversation. Sure glad this is not a politically correct forum. :thumb: Anyone know where one of them there politically correct forums are? I'd like to take a peek and see if they spend more time apologizing to each other for imagined transgressions than they spend 'talking' to each other. :smileywac

If I addressed this to 'everyone', would I offend Siamese twins? :rolleyes:

D

darroll

This is not nice. What are we supposed to call him?
Ole crooked neck..?

Attachments

• retard.jpg
    retard.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 51

mak2

I have a friend with a retarted 4 year old. I have seen him mad enough to hit someone because they call somebody a "tard". It is not that I could not whip him, but why would I want to intentionally cause him pain? Sure I have the right to use the word, but why. I am not an overly sensitive guy, but if the term is well know to be offensive to a group of people why use it if you dont have to.

I think it is great you are all so up in arms about your right to use terms no matter who it offends, and maybe you are right. But just ask yourself why it is so important to you.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I'm not very PC, but generally where I form my opinions of comments and names is motive. Instead of what is said I'm more interested in why it was said and from that I can usually decide whether I'm being joked with or insulted.