• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sheriff: Deputy at Parkland never engaged shooter, has now resigned

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Seems like EVERYTHING about Cruz and the shooting was messed up!

Sheriff: Deputy at Parkland never engaged shooter, has now resigned
Posted: Feb 22, 2018 5:44 PM EST
Updated: Feb 22, 2018 6:14 PM EST
Meredith Digital Staff
WSMV-TV

http://www.wsmv.com/story/37571116/sheriff-sro-at-parkland-never-engaged-shooter-has-resigned

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (CNN/Meredith) — Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said the deputy who was on duty at a high school where 17 people were massacred waited outside the building for about four minutes without ever going in.

Israel announced during a Thursday news conference that Deputy Scot Peterson resigned after being suspended without pay.

Much more at the link including the confusion about the surveillance tape. :hammer:

rugerman

Hard to second guess the officer, he might have been frozen in fear, he might have known that he was outgunned and was waiting for backup or he might be like several police officers that I know who carry a gun but don’t really know how to use it or don’t use it well enough to go up against someone else with a gun, much less a handgun against a rifle.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
It's all about the training, or most likely in this case lack of it. Not sure what his story is. Was he ex military, ex cop or ex mall security guard. Carrying a gun does not make one Rambo. I'll be interested to hear what he has to say. I did hear that the Sheriff did not have kind words.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another version of the story: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...-filmed-doing-nothing-during-florida-shooting

"He Never Went In": Officer On Duty Filmed "Doing Nothing" During Florida Shooting

... Speaking at a press conference, Broward Sheriff Scott Israel said the on duty officer at Stoneman "never went in." Israel said he was "devastated" after watching the video showing the deputy taking a position outside the Western side of Building 12 while shots rang out, "and he never went in" despite having a clear view of the entrance. "I think he remained outside upwards of four minutes," Israel said.

The uniformed officer, identified as Scot Peterson, was been suspended without pay pending an investigation, according to Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel - however he has since resigned and retired from the department.

"As is his right, Scot Peterson chose to resign, because he has the necessary time with the agency and meets the requirements of retirement, he resigned and retired." ...

"These families lost their children, we lost coaches. I've been to the funerals. I've been to the homes where they're sitting shiva. I've been to the vigils. It's just, there are no words."

When asked by a reporter what the deputy should have done, the Sheriff replied "Went in. Address the killer. Kill the killer."

In other words, where previously we learned that on Feb. 5, 2016 Broward Sheriff's were warned by a neighbor's son that Nikolas Cruz "Planned to shoot up the school on Instagram", we now find out that during the shooting, a deputy could have saved lives but he hid instead as teenagers were killed.

Full story at link above

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
But ... we don't need to own guns because the government will protect us.

F' that. There is so much government failure to "protect" (other than their own asses) in this event that it only re-reinforces the need for the second amendment.