• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Calling all 500 Club members!

Sno-Surfer

Anyone want to have a shake down run, day out in the snow, couple days out in the snow before McCall?
We are just now getting some snow and I’m itching to get out and have some fun. I was thinking the Mt Adams area this time. I was up there a week ago and although it was doable, more snow was needed. I think we have enough now. I might go up tomorrow and scout things out.
Let me know if anyone is up for it. If anyone wants to come out for a couple of days we could mix it up a bit. There are lots of places I haven’t been yet depending on snow. There are a few local hotels in Hood River and the take off is about a 45 minute drive away.
Thinking feb 10-11 or 17-18. If it’s the later date I might only be available one of the days because we have my wife’s uncle in town. But he may want to join us both days too so I’ll have to see what he wants to do.
We also may have a certain Tucker food cart along for lunch on the hill.
Let me know what you think and what days work best.
We might make an exception and allow a few non-500 Club members join us. ;-)

561A3799-ABE7-4F5B-A474-B3AB9D4A8C88.jpg

F7E2676C-2310-45D9-BF09-8246F1BF2BD8.jpg

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Hmmm, I kinda like the 10th but need to check a few things. Is there anything closer off of I-5 around St.Helens area?

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the climbers bivy on the south side of Mt. St. Helens circa 1986

Attachments

• Mt. St. Helens 1986.jpg
    Mt. St. Helens 1986.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 309

Sno-Surfer

I like the idea of St Helens. I just don't know where to take off from etc. looks like a fun place to go though.

Tucker Someday

GOLD Site Supporter
I’m so jealous that you westerners have so much room to roam. Are these designated trails/roads that you are able to use or is it just a free for all? Either way, enjoy it. Very little territory for fun here in the east. Wish we could find a way to open it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I’m so jealous that you westerners have so much room to roam. Are these designated trails/roads that you are able to use or is it just a free for all? Either way, enjoy it. Very little territory for fun here in the east. Wish we could find a way to open it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are still places to go. All of us have to be polite and respect other users of the snow. I like to slow down and stop for muscle powered folks especially if they have children and/or dogs. I am not in a hurry when enjoying the snow. Having these folks as allies is far better than enemies. Most regulations and citations are COMPLAINT driven by other users. When we go out we lap our tracks as to provide a better surface for cross country skiers/snow shoers, etc. Many times our tracks make it so folks can get further back in the woods faster to their favorite places where machines can't go. Leave your fire arms at home or take them to the shooting range. Nothing will rain down guvmint regs. faster than a group of liquored up shooters. A small group can mess it up for all.

Now, stepping off the box of Ivory Snow.

Sno-Surfer

Thanks Sno Drifter, that’s real good advice. Tread lightly and politely.

I went out today and there was probably 3 more feet of snow on the ground. Much better now. It was real heavy snow and you would sink past your knees. I “groomed” this trail up to King Mt and rode around the foothills of Adams. The Tucker loves this stuff.

BE64C594-D1A2-40E5-8E54-8A84911420CB.jpg

82484E09-FABE-4593-9B78-BA593E9480CD.jpg

4E1C3C09-AC97-47A4-867E-C38365D12833.jpg

F220026D-184E-42FA-9EB0-B05AA063F19A.jpg

Sno-Surfer

We are losing a lot of snow this week. I might have to mow the lawn it's so warm here.
If anyone is interested I think we should wait until the next weekend, 17-18 and see how that looks.

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Looks great. I like the new bed canopy too:thumbup:

Thanks Sno Drifter, that’s real good advice. Tread lightly and politely.

I went out today and there was probably 3 more feet of snow on the ground. Much better now. It was real heavy snow and you would sink past your knees. I “groomed” this trail up to King Mt and rode around the foothills of Adams. The Tucker loves this stuff.

View attachment 95589

View attachment 95590

View attachment 95591

View attachment 95592

Sno-Surfer

Well I thought I would go out and see how the snow really is before I try to entice some of you out. Well it’s better than I thought. Not great and we could use a few more feet of snow but we ended up having a great time yesterday. Weather was perfect, snow was firm and the sunset was one of the best I’ve seen, it went on for what seemed like an hour. The pictures don’t even get close to doing it justice. Not a breath of wind either.
We had to go up a different way and the last time I went this way I got stuck in the snow trac overnight. The picture where I am stopped on the road by the stump is where we had issues before. It’s tricky because you don’t want to slide at all and it has a good angle on it. With more snow you would have to pick your way around it through the trees but with the low snow we had no choice but to stay on the road and try and go around the stump. I almost pulled the chain saw out, maybe next time. If you had a blade this would not be a problem. There are a couple spots where the snow blows over the road and the side hill is too steep. One spot I had to turn off the road and go straight up the hill. It was steep for a bit but the Tucker climbed it no problem...until it got starved for fuel and quit on me. I was stuck on a real steep part and the brake would not hold. I put it in gear, cut down a small tree and stuffed it behind the tracks to chock them up, prayed to the Tucker Gods and tried to start it again. Fortunately it started and off I went to the top. I was almost afraid I might need some help. I couldn’t back up without it running because you can’t steer. So off we went up to about 6500’. We could have easily gone farther up but it was getting late. We started back down around 4:30. Awesome trip back down with the sunset. Squeezed around the stump again and slowly drove back down. Got back to the truck after dark. We were celebrating making it back to the trailer, always a bit relieved. But we weren't on the trailer yet. I’ll save the celebration next time for after it’s loaded.
There is a lesson in here. I had the kids in the truck and I was driving the cat on the trailer when my truck started to slide down the road! It lifted the rear wheels up and the truck lost its traction. I froze up and just waited for it to hopefully stop. Well it kept sliding slowly and then jackknifed and the front of the truck drop into a culvert. It sort of tipped the truck up a bit too. It didn’t look good at all. Backed the cat off and tried to tow truck and trailer out but no go. Disconnected the trailer and dragged it back with the cat and then tried to tow just the truck out and somehow we were able to free it from the ditch. Really lucky but nerve wracking too. So be extra careful when loading your cat when the truck and trailer are on a slight hill. I won’t make that mistake again.
All in all it was an awesome day. It would have been a little stressful if I was leading a group up but it could be done. A blade would make it easy, otherwise I would cut the stump down next time. It’s a beautiful trip though. I would want to leave earlier next time but I think coming down during a sunset is the way to go. Fantastic views on this route. Great snow camping spots too.
Of course I’d be up for a run still next weekend if anyone wants to join.

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Well I thought I would go out and see how the snow really is before I try to entice some of you out. Well it’s better than I thought. Not great and we could use a few more feet of snow but we ended up having a great time yesterday. Weather was perfect, snow was firm and the sunset was one of the best I’ve seen, it went on for what seemed like an hour. The pictures don’t even get close to doing it justice. Not a breath of wind either.
We had to go up a different way and the last time I went this way I got stuck in the snow trac overnight. The picture where I am stopped on the road by the stump is where we had issues before. It’s tricky because you don’t want to slide at all and it has a good angle on it. With more snow you would have to pick your way around it through the trees but with the low snow we had no choice but to stay on the road and try and go around the stump. I almost pulled the chain saw out, maybe next time. If you had a blade this would not be a problem. There are a couple spots where the snow blows over the road and the side hill is too steep. One spot I had to turn off the road and go straight up the hill. It was steep for a bit but the Tucker climbed it no problem...until it got starved for fuel and quit on me. I was stuck on a real steep part and the brake would not hold. I put it in gear, cut down a small tree and stuffed it behind the tracks to chock them up, prayed to the Tucker Gods and tried to start it again. Fortunately it started and off I went to the top. I was almost afraid I might need some help. I couldn’t back up without it running because you can’t steer. So off we went up to about 6500’. We could have easily gone farther up but it was getting late. We started back down around 4:30. Awesome trip back down with the sunset. Squeezed around the stump again and slowly drove back down. Got back to the truck after dark. We were celebrating making it back to the trailer, always a bit relieved. But we weren't on the trailer yet. I’ll save the celebration next time for after it’s loaded.
There is a lesson in here. I had the kids in the truck and I was driving the cat on the trailer when my truck started to slide down the road! It lifted the rear wheels up and the truck lost its traction. I froze up and just waited for it to hopefully stop. Well it kept sliding slowly and then jackknifed and the front of the truck drop into a culvert. It sort of tipped the truck up a bit too. It didn’t look good at all. Backed the cat off and tried to tow truck and trailer out but no go. Disconnected the trailer and dragged it back with the cat and then tried to tow just the truck out and somehow we were able to free it from the ditch. Really lucky but nerve wracking too. So be extra careful when loading your cat when the truck and trailer are on a slight hill. I won’t make that mistake again.
All in all it was an awesome day. It would have been a little stressful if I was leading a group up but it could be done. A blade would make it easy, otherwise I would cut the stump down next time. It’s a beautiful trip though. I would want to leave earlier next time but I think coming down during a sunset is the way to go. Fantastic views on this route. Great snow camping spots too.
Of course I’d be up for a run still next weekend if anyone wants to join.
Awesome
I hear ya about the trailer loading. I have done the exact same thing and now carry a small square of plywood along with a jack stand to put under the rear of the trailer so it doesn't sag and lift the truck. My previous cat had an electric fuel pump wired to a switch on the dash for steep terrain. It ran on the mechanical pump during normal ops but if it started to stall on steep terrain, I'd flip on the switch and it would pick up again. Your story has me thinking maybe I should do the same to my Tucker. Great Pics! Wish we were closer.

Sno-Surfer

Good tip on supporting the trailer. In hindsight I should have either kept driving the Tucker on or backed it off real quick but instead I just froze up and rode it out in the Tucker on the trailer with my kids wondering what was going on in the truck.
I run on a mechanical fuel pump. Not sure what the deal was but it was a bad spot and I’m just real glad it fired back up and had no more issues after that.

Sno-Surfer

Well folks there is snow on the way. Looks like up to a foot today and Friday, Saturday and Sunday have potential for even more snow as long as it doesn’t get too warm.
I plan to go out probably on Saturday (could also do Sunday) most likely to Adams. My wife’s Uncle will be here and I’d like to take him out.
So if anyone else wants to do a shake down run before McCall let me know. I’ll be watching the weather and as long as it doesn’t turn to rain it could be pretty good. :smile:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
i would come out and play, hey, you are up really really early...

when and where to meet up?

Attachments

• Attach0.jpg
    Attach0.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Sno-Surfer great pictures, looks like a fun area. I was reading your story about loading your cat and am wondering how many of us "with snowcats" have had the same experience. I was by myself trying to load my cat and ended up driving my cat, truck and trailer about 100ft down the road while inside the cat. Like you it took me a bit to process what was happening. Eventually I gave the cat some gas and popped up on the trailer and the whole ride ended. Got a lot of goofy suggestions but a pair of tire chalks "for the trailer" works great. As someone who has had to leave their cat in the woods after an issue I can also relate with your feeling of getting your cat out of the woods and onto your trailer after a long day. looking forward to more 500 club adventure pictures.

Sno-Surfer

i would come out and play, hey, you are up really really early...

when and where to meet up?

Now where is this little museum? Up early? I have kids to get to school :wink:

I suggest we meet around 8am but I am flexible. We could meet in Hood River before crossing the bridge at the boat ramp where sno drifter was launching his cat in the river.
From there it’s about 50 minutes to the take off area. Depending on snow conditions we may try the South Climb, same way I went last weekend. Sometimes that road can be slick and if it is we can always take off from Snow King where we did last time.