• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Alpine audio for vehicles

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I have a new Chevy truck. Audio is barely mediocre. I crank it up and it's lacking in all aspects.

So, although I haven't heard it in person, I ordered a new Alpine system.
Here's the speakers.
http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/chevrolet-silverado-gmc-sierra-restyle-sound-system-spt-31gm/

Also ordered an Alpine 300w amp to power it.

Didn't order the extra sub-woofer as that was going to set me back another $1000.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts about Alpine systems? I know they used to be good but my experience is 20-30 years old.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Subwoofer will make a yuuuge difference! Get it!

It's all good stuff when you get into the upper end.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Fred.

He said I can add the sub-woofer anytime. Since I've never even heard the system that's going in, I want to hear what I got before I throw another grand at it.

k-dog

I remember 30 years ago thumping up my car with stereos, amps and base Cannon. I always used pioneer head units but liked the Alpines but they were out of my price range. In my experience you need the sub woofer when upgrading the system and going more high end. My brother has a factory Bose system in his car and it is awesome at low volume or high volume. The sub really makes the system to me.
Besides when your kids take it to drive, they will appreciate the sub ?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
It is my understanding Alpine is still real good stuff. You should be very happy with it.

I have a factory Infinity system in the Sonata that sound good and is light years away in quality with what you are going to have.

Just don't play the rap music too loud BC. :yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like others I'd guess the Alpine system would be a great one ...but I have not had one of their stereos for 10 years or so.

All this talk about sub woofers has me wondering, do cars with premium stereos usually come with a sub woofer? Is there a way to tell for sure? They hide it pretty good if it is part of the system.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Like others I'd guess the Alpine system would be a great one ...but I have not had one of their stereos for 10 years or so.

All this talk about sub woofers has me wondering, do cars with premium stereos usually come with a sub woofer? Is there a way to tell for sure? They hide it pretty good if it is part of the system.

Yes, I believe they do. The Hyundai has a sub and the audio sounds really good. Nice deep bass, excellent mids and very good highs. The truck has no sub and it sounds it. Good for talk radio, really.

jwstewar

Our Suburban has the Bose stereo in it. It does not have a Sub. I guess when they originally designed the vehicle it was supposed to have it and it was designed to go into the center console since it is so huge. There is room at the bottom of it. Once the bean counters saw the design and the cost, they nixed the sub. The stereo in it sounds OK, but I'm not impressed with it. You can tell it was designed for a sub and it just doesn't have that much volume either. I've found myself turning it all the way up when I have a good song on and still wishing it was louder - not that it isn't loud, just not what it should be. It is however clear at full volume.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just an update.

The speakers sound awesome. I mean hurt your ear levels of volume with awesome clarity. Haven't installed the subwoofer and at least for now, I'm not seeing a need for it.

Something that did happen and a solution is in play. I don't know the technical details but to go from the OEM receiver to the amp, a converter is needed. Something about all the wires coming out of the receiver to all the different sound components. In general, there's so much coming out of the receiver that several things had to be unplugged (e.g. the sounds made when you turn on your turn signals).

A new signal processor has just come out that will fix all this. Working on getting it installed.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ive used Alpine and Blaupunkt in various cars. Can't go wrong with either. Even had an Alpine system for my Snow Trac too.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I had an Alpine system put in the first car I ever had in the States. I thought that it was awesome. That was a long time ago though. I have a Bose in my present car and think that it's pretty good. I'm glad that you like yours. Good quality sound in a car is one of life's little pleasures. :clap:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not an audiophile by any stretch. Not by choice, I am very hard of hearing with no capability to hear highs so a good audio system is a waste on me. The regular factory radio in my truck is all I need or capable of appreciating. Hearing aids help but are no substitute for real ears.

I use closed captioning on the TV and I always feel good when it says "indistinct chatter". I go phew, it's not me. :yum::yum::yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Toby Keith and some Brooks & Dunn. ;)

I talked with the guy at the audio shop a couple days ago. He said I'd be disappointed with the Alpine sub woofer they make that is made specifically for my truck which is mounted behind the rear seat. He suggested I go with a boxed version(also Alpine components) that goes under the seat. Cost will be about the same at $1K but he said it'll sound much better.

For now, I'm holding off.