• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Track jack idea....

R

Reddog

With the possibility of splitting the tracks on my soon to be new Snowtrac, I have been looking at track jacks. After looking at some military surplus ones

2801dd34b4cbfa4a45aab9f916c20c19.image.225x71.gif

http://store.colemans.com/cart/track-jack-16-in-opening-p-2056.html

I remembered I have 2 sets of these:

atd-7561lg.jpg

http://www.tooldesk.com/automotive/ATD7561-ATD-MacPherson-Strut-Spring-Compressor.aspx

Seems like they could be made to work, even if you had to use short chain "yokes".
Anybody ever used them???

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
They will work, but are largely unnessary. With the tension backed off, and the joint at the point below the drive gear they aren't that hard to tackle. Usually there are two of us working on mine so by yourself they would be great I think. BTW we use a come along and a piece of rope usually...Did you find pics of the boggie wheel lifter/jack yet??

Regards, Kirk

redlinenwt

the top ones look similar to ones I used on a pistenbully
they worked well. I think it was a kassbohrer tool $$$$$
Nodwell has had a simple yet effective way to mate track ends
stock front bumpers had the rollers on each side inline with the tires and used the winch and the track mounting tool(pulley that hooked two grousers)
Nodwell tracks are much heavier,and hard to work with but the same idea could work.....maybe!

Attachments

• re.jpg
    re.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 556

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the nodwell idea is cool a guy could make something like that out of a come along the snow trac doesn't need track jacks as the manual describes a way to do it that works well the Thiokol 2100 requires a lot more umph to pull them together.

The trick to a good tensioner, and is shown in both types of track tensioners shown here, is having a tool that hits the profile of the grouser square and pulling on it without cocking the grouser up or down.

On a fairly flat grouser it probably is not as important but the biggest problem of putting tracks on a machine with tall grousers is pulling on it and still getting the two halves to line up. I used a manufactured tensioner once on a Pisten Bully and wow what a difference in time and ease than when trying to pull two grousers together with rope or cable. They always want to fold over and won't line up to put the lacing bolts in.

R

Reddog

Did you find pics of the boggie wheel lifter/jack yet??

Regards, Kirk[/QUOTE]

Searched, but could not find pics. Doesn't sound all that difficult, but I'd like to see pics of the factory lifter so I don't try to re-invent the wheel...

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
The trick to a good tensioner, and is shown in both types of track tensioners shown here, is having a tool that hits the profile of the grouser square and pulling on it without cocking the grouser up or down.

On a fairly flat grouser it probably is not as important but the biggest problem of putting tracks on a machine with tall grousers is pulling on it and still getting the two halves to line up. I used a manufactured tensioner once on a Pisten Bully and wow what a difference in time and ease than when trying to pull two grousers together with rope or cable. They always want to fold over and won't line up to put the lacing bolts in.

when I die the Thiokol tracks I went back about 4 grousers on both sides and pulled from the bottom it worked pretty well to line up the lacing.

TuckerSnoCat

I have the top military jacks. They are very stout (and heavy). I use them on my Thiokol/DMC/LMC 3700 tracks and they work but they won't spread wide enough to span more than the end grousers so you end up with the problem that Alaska Snow Cat is describing, they tilt the lacing up or down and make it hard to line them up. You can get around that though and they are very strong. I use them with an air impact wrench which speeds the tightening up immensely.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Here is the one that came with my KT3 . Its a redesigned bumper jack and works great .

Attachments

• 973.jpg
    973.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 399

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
what do you need jacks for on a Kristi ,you just strip the grousers off and chuck them in to the ben franklin stove for heat.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
what do you need jacks for on a Kristi ,you just strip the grousers off and chuck them in to the ben franklin stove for heat.

I did not realize you were looking to change jobs . Is there lots of work for a "fickin comedian" up there in Nome ??????