• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Television Host Scaring Children?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...senter-scaring-children-parents-tell-BBC.html

A disabled CBeebies presenter has been the victim of a disturbing campaign after parents complained that she was scaring toddlers.

They claimed that host Cerrie Burnell - who was born with one arm - is not suitable to appear on the digital children's channel.

Miss Burnell and co-presenter Alex Winters took over the popular Do and Discover slot and The Bedtime Hour programme last month.

But the decision to hire her has prompted a flurry of complaints to the BBC and on parenting message boards, with some of the posts on the CBeebies website becoming so vicious that they had to be removed.

Incredibly, one father said he wanted to ban his daughter from watching the channel because he feared it would give her nightmares.

Others claimed that they were forced to discuss difficult issues with their young children before they were ready.

One blogger wrote: 'Is it just me, or does anyone else think the new woman presenter on CBeebies may scare the kids because of her disability?

'I didn't want to let my children watch the filler bits on The Bedtime Hour last night because I know it would have played on my eldest daughter's mind and possibly caused sleep problems. And yes, this is a serious post.'

Some even accused the BBC of hiring Miss Burnell, 29, because of 'political correctness' and solely to meet employment quotas.

One notice board comment read: 'What is scary is the BBC's determination to show " minorities" on CBeebies at every available opportunity!

'This new presenter is c*** - face facts - but because she has a disability then she was given a job. [It is] positive discrimination in my books.'

A BBC spokesman said the broadcaster had received nine formal complaints about Miss Burnell.

But she insisted the new presenter had also received messages of support and that many parents were keen to have a range of people on screen.

Yesterday, Miss Burnell - who has a four-month-old daughter - hit back at her critics, branding them 'small minded' and their remarks 'terrible'.

Admitting she was upset by the comments, she added: 'It can only be a good thing that parents are using me as a chance to talk about disability with their children.

'It just goes to show how important it is to have positive disabled role models on CBeebies and television in general.'

A friend said: 'It's shocking to think that people still have these views and, even worse, that they are passing on this discrimination to their children.' Michael Carrington, controller of CBeebies, said: 'It's a big ask to entertain millions of children every day.

'Cerrie is warm and natural and we think that in time all mums and dads and children will love her as much as we do.'

Originally from Eastbourne, Miss Burnell studied drama in Manchester and won plaudits for her theatre work before landing small roles in EastEnders, The Bill and Grange Hill.

She also works as a teaching assistant at a special needs school in London.

Disability groups have fiercely defended her and the BBC.

John Knight, of charity Leonard Cheshire Disability, said: 'Disabled people experience disadvantage and discrimination like this every day, largely through ignorance. This needs to change.

'Understanding disability all comes down to familiarity. The bottom line is that seeing disabled people on television should be the norm, not the exception.'

Attachments

• article-1152466-039FD2B5000005DC-634_468x396.jpg
    article-1152466-039FD2B5000005DC-634_468x396.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 48

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
screw those parents. what do they want? to "shelter" their kids from these kinda of people? whats gonna happen when they see someone in the mall whose missing an arm, or leg? are they gonna pull the kid aside and cover their eyes? are they gonna go to the mall CEO or whatever and tell them that those people shouldnt be allowed in the mall? to hell with those ignorant f*#kwads

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
well she was presenting today...and she is pretty damn good.My 6 year old has not even mentioned the fact this woman has part of her arm missing...i guess us teaching our kids everyone is different has paid off.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Those freakin' Teletubbies scare me more than that chick. Honestly, the parents just need to get over their own issues.

cj7

I think it is great that she is on TV doing a good positve thing in the first place. The parents just need to get over it.

Grated I do not have any children of my own but I have been around plenty and so waht if you have to explain somthing new to the kids. That is what life is about anyway. There are plenty of other issues way harder to explain thatn a lady with a partial arm.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
I think it is great that she is on TV doing a good positve thing in the first place. The parents just need to get over it.

Grated I do not have any children of my own but I have been around plenty and so waht if you have to explain somthing new to the kids. That is what life is about anyway. There are plenty of other issues way harder to explain thatn a lady with a partial arm.

exactly