• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sunk

dixopr

The name says it all. Was taking a load out to a river crossing and got swamped in a marsh.

Attachments

• IMG-20131014-00029.jpg
    IMG-20131014-00029.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 915
  • IMG-20131017-00031.jpg
    IMG-20131017-00031.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 916
  • IMG-20131017-00033.jpg
    IMG-20131017-00033.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 916

dixopr

One more teepee at the front and another come a long and we'll try to pick it right up off the ground then load a bunch of wood under it, change the oil and let it freeze there before I drive it back.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That sure ain't no way to end the week. Good luck and hope it freezes up that you can drive it back out.

dixopr

Bad way to end a week and a really bad way to start a weekend. I'll be out there tomorrow for the day, hope to get the oil changed and see if it'll start. It will freeze, we are well above seasonal norms now. It's usually near negative 10 now. It is really amazing what you can lift with a teepee, just remember to bring a latter if build one they aren't that easy to climb.

IMP

Site Supporter
That looks allot like the nightmere I had with my J5 in it! It looks so brown and brushy nearby that I'm suprised that you found a place that deep. Was it a creek channel or just a muck hole? The saying "If its green go around, if its brown smash it down" has kept me out of trouble so far. It looks like brown all around you there, I'd felt pretty safe too. Is that a muskeg your driving?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that looks like south central Alaska like, maybe trapper creek area. out there they have these huge peat bogs where the permafrost has melted. and now the vegetation and soils are floating on top of big pools of water left from ice lenses melting. out at alexander lake we used to run a snow master across this floating mat and there would be a wave pushed up in front. one mist be careful as if you punch through the matt the water and mud below can seam bottomless and easily be in excess of 8 feet deep. its kind of funny when you fly low over the kinik goose bay area little sue and bug sue drainage there are many smoke stacks sticking out of these bogs and lakes where dozers fell through and were abandoned during the oil exploration days. this kind of stuff is where john deere 350 and 450 thrived with their wide pad configuration.

dixopr

So in total 3 full days of work with 3 guys each day. The terrain is probably a lot like Fairbanks or a little north of there. It is sub-arctic boreal which means black spruce country. Permafrost keeps the water from draining into the soil so the water table is very high. It wasn't quite like the floating peat bogs, just lots of water under that willow and grass matting. I was in chest deep water to pull the oil drain plug had about 30L of water come out before the oil. Good thing too because last night temp dropped to freezing. We did change the oil but the distributor was moist and dirty so I might just pull it back to town once the road opens. Believe it or not but that is a winter road that we are on, it gets built every year.

So basically it was built one teepee to get it up, didn't work. Built another teepee lifted the front and the back from each teepee using a 1 1/2 ton come-a-long at the front and a 1 ton hoist and 3/4 ton come-a-long at the back. That's all we had, it would have been nice to have 2 2 ton come-a-longs. Once both it was suspended we lay a bunch of logs parallel to the tracks about a foot to 4 feet out from the machine to distribute the load and provide a big foot print, then put big logs under the machine perpendicular to the tracks to support the weight of the machine, then another set parallel and under the tracks themselves to give us some height out of the water.

So glad that it is done.
It is a 68 muskeg with a flathead.

Attachments

• IMG-20131019-00038.jpg
    IMG-20131019-00038.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG-20131019-00036.jpg
    IMG-20131019-00036.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 920
  • IMG-20131019-00037.jpg
    IMG-20131019-00037.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 829
  • IMG-20131019-00045.jpg
    IMG-20131019-00045.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 819
  • IMG-20131020-00048.jpg
    IMG-20131020-00048.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 825
  • IMG-20131020-00050.jpg
    IMG-20131020-00050.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 829
  • IMG-20131020-00052.jpg
    IMG-20131020-00052.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG-20131020-00054.jpg
    IMG-20131020-00054.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 823

dixopr

I didn't get a photo of the machine after it had settled into the hole, as you can see from the first set of photos and the one of the rad that I just posted. Look at the water line on the rad. To get the first lift at the back I was up to my waist in water and reaching under the water to get that chain under the hitch at the back.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that is perma frost tundra a lot like we have here in nome I dropped the snow trac in to hole like that once front went completely under the water also sunk a d-9g in the same kind of stuff we just have no black spruce around here

dixopr

I've been all over the arctic and sub-arctic and anything that is permafrost country is wet. There have been a number of D-6s and 7s sunk around here some up to the roof. 2 had to be blasted with dynomite to loosen then after days of digging. There have been a couple that have sunk and taken a life or two with them as well. Always have your wits about you in the north, one wrong move and it could be your life. Never been to Alaska though, I want to get over there sometime.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm about to start a winter freighting business up here with the new Thiokol 2100 I all ready have work lined up for it. things will be looking good if the weather would start to cool down. I will have numerous river crossings to deal with along with valleys to cross most of these trips I expect will take 3 days to make at the 10mph the 2100 will travel at. 3 days in the back country with no support can leave a lot of time for stuff to happen. I find the worst conditions to be when the wind kicks up and vis drops to 0 that's when bad things start to happen like airfilters plugging or you find a hole you didn't see.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That looks like it was a shit-ton of work. Glad you had time to take pictures of that though. Impressive extraction!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One more teepee at the front and another come a long and we'll try to pick it right up off the ground then load a bunch of wood under it, change the oil and let it freeze there before I drive it back.

Now you just need it to freeze up hard enough. Any idea when that will be?? Curious...

lots of work to get were you are now....

Regards, Kirk

Cletis

Seriously, you have to be my kin! I thought I was the only one that had that kind of luck!!

Very good that you are self reliant to get it out yourself. Not many could do what you did there. Good job.

Cletis

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Amazing amount of work to get er out of there Thanks for the posting

dixopr

Its freezing today so it'll be about 2 weeks if the weather holds until i can bring it back. Cletis I've got the worst luck in the world when it comes to machines, so maybe we were born under the same star. It's pretty easy getting out to where the Muskeg is so not a big deal.

dixopr

Well we have snow and it starting to freeze up so should be able to get it out soon. Plan is to haul it back with the Delta 6x6.

Attachments

• muskeg snow.jpg
    muskeg snow.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 544

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's been a long haul getting it out. But I must commend you for your efforts, as they are paying off... Good job done. And I hope you never sink your Muskeg ever again!:flowers:

Regards, Kirk

undy

I had to look up a Delta 6x6. Neat vehicle. I hope you get some pics of the tow. Pretty impressive recovery job so far!

dixopr

Aside from terribly cold weather and a really late winter road. I was finally able to drag the muskeg back to town. I'm just waiting for shop space to get her in and see whats what. The tracks didn't turn on the way back so I just ended up dragging it all the way back to town.

Attachments

• IMG-20140110-00125.jpg
    IMG-20140110-00125.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG-20140110-00126.jpg
    IMG-20140110-00126.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG-20140110-00128.jpg
    IMG-20140110-00128.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG-20140110-00130.jpg
    IMG-20140110-00130.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 420

dixopr

First picture was at 3pm just after the sun reached its max elevation. It was -30 degrees, the warmest its been in a few weeks. I had to cut one teepee down but left the other up. Poor Muskeg, hope she feels better after being left alone for so long.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The cold may have helped prevent rust in/on things. Once you get it thawed out and all the fluids drained, it will hopefully be runnable once again. The sooner the better is what I have always been told. Once in the shop get right after it...

Regards, Kirk