• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rolling Tucker

Kristi Kt-4

I went over to Big Powderhorn Mountain today to do some rolling on the hill! There was 2 foot of fresh powder from Wednesday night lake effect so the conditions were great. Had a blast and was able to meet up with Denmark219. I am not sure if he realizes it yet, but...... he has been infected by the Tucker bug :yum:

Attachments

• 20141128_152457.jpg
    20141128_152457.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 414
  • 20141128_152531.jpg
    20141128_152531.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 420
  • 20141128_160251.jpg
    20141128_160251.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 419
  • 20141128_160303.jpg
    20141128_160303.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 418
  • 20141128_160330.jpg
    20141128_160330.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 419

Kristi Kt-4

I think that I am having a lil too much fun.... like a kid in a candy store! I am thinking a 542 is in my future :whistling: The Clowder is still two months away but with this early snow someone is excited for sure! :clap:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very cool. And actually working the cat is fun as well.

I am running full tilt to get everything in order. Remember to bug the Tucker hoarders to my east..... Text me that action shot. I will be going to the museum soon.

They need to get to the clowder with some of that no-orange tuckers they have.

Mike

undy

They just let you come over and drive around? Pretty neat.

Was the 4th photo taken looking directly up at Vertical Drop? Seems a shame to not be skiing all that new snow. (I assume nobody grooms that run?)

Kristi Kt-4

I am not sure where vertical drop is..... but I do know that I was on Buckshot run. Before they open for the season they roll everything to pack the base. Maybe Cootbruce will enlighten us?

undy

Yes, that's it then. My favorite run there. Short, but sweet. That whole upper section there can be a lot of fun with big snow (at least on skis).

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok I'll say it..

will there be a ski Dozer in attendance????

HmMMMMMM

?

Mike

cootbruce

They just let you come over and drive around? Pretty neat.

Was the 4th photo taken looking directly up at Vertical Drop? Seems a shame to not be skiing all that new snow. (I assume nobody grooms that run?)
Yes that is vertical drop in the background. We did groom it last season as the snow was so deep on the top, ski tips were getting too close to the ground where the lift goes over the top of the run.

undy

Hi Mike,

Don't hold your breath on the skidozer making it, but I intend to be there this time!

I don't have a vehicle capable of towing the cat, and it's too far for me to drive it overland. But my skis fit in my Subaru, and (I'll admit this) wanting (needing) to ski is what made me buy my snowcat/s.

Bruce,

I've been on that lift when my skis hit the ground, and I've touched the chairs at the top of the headwall too. What a problem, too much snow!

That's a pretty steep run. That must be an interesting ride down in a groomer - I assume you don't have a winch-cat(?). Who gets the "privilege" - the old guy, or the newbie?

cootbruce

My son is really good in the machines, he pushed the snow from the top of the run and then made a few passes down it. Just the day before that, he was in a winch cat at Copper Peak, they were backing down the landing after securing the winch cable to the jump. The cable broke and they slide down the steep part of the landing, backwards! After that, Vertical drop did not appear so steep!

A few photosof it groomed are attached. Do not look so steep in the photos....

Attachments

• vd groomed 001.jpg
    vd groomed 001.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 338
  • vd groomed 005.jpg
    vd groomed 005.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 329
  • vd groomed 003.jpg
    vd groomed 003.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 331

undy

Thanks for the photos Bruce. You're right, the photos don't do it justice. I rode that hill down, face first, more than once as a kid. So I can attest to the fact that it's pretty steep.

I'd forgotten about Copper Peak, and assumed nobody up there had a winch cat yet. Fun ride down backwards I bet. Yikes.

So, when you're grooming a hill like Vertical Drop, are you just using the blade and tiller? I'm still dragging around implements (old powder master and a homemade roller), and they've tried to beat me to the bottom a time or two. I assume that's one of the big advantages to having mounted implements such as a tiller - less chance of them getting loose?

cootbruce

We use both the blade and tiller when going down a run like Vertical Drop. After a few passes down, then just the tiller is used. Once the snow sets up, we can climb the hill with the machines. But we don't normally groom this slope.....The ride down copper peak was a in a PB winch cat that the local collage has for their ski area management program. We still drag the old rollers around, like the one in the pictures here. We use them when we have a lot of snow and just want to pack the snow. If you are up here this winter, we would be happy to take you out in a machine and show you around the hill and how we groom it.

undy

Bruce,

You're on! and thanks for the offer. Sounds like a lot of fun.

All my equipment is either decades old or home-made. So I'd love to see how it's done "right" nowadays.

But I'll be bringing skis too. After all, that's the reason I groom!!

Paul

Yes I've been bit! I was so excited to go on that ride, everyone in my family was making fun of me. I don't care, I got the last laugh! Thanks again Matt, that was so much fun! And thanks Bruce for letting us ride the hill!

Attachments

• IMG_6261.jpg
    IMG_6261.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_6265.jpg
    IMG_6265.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_6290.jpg
    IMG_6290.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_6280.jpg
    IMG_6280.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_6268.jpg
    IMG_6268.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_6267.jpg
    IMG_6267.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_6300.jpg
    IMG_6300.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_6299.jpg
    IMG_6299.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 250
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zNg_DGkCdCE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JwNxY_1FH2k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EVhR-ceoPhA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FwuBG85xPMk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qpq4gSXpaFk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

www.youtube.com/embed/zNg_DGkCdCE