• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Morocco, spring of 2008

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Maybe I will go with a Land Rover after all! :D

Attachments

• Land Rover Tatoo.jpg
    Land Rover Tatoo.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 154

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How many gallons of fuel will you carry in auxilary tanks? Are there places to fill up or does the outfitter arrange for refills?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I have been looking under my rig and feel I can get about 100 gallons in two tanks. Spare will be on rear bumper anyway so that will be a good spot for the second tank. With 100 gallons that will get me 800 to 1,000 miles off road. It will also weigh when full 735 lbs. I will have most likely 40 gallons of water and that will be 400 lbs. Fuel water and food. After I figure how much all that weighs then I can decide what I need to bring and what I will leave behind.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
There are regular gas stations in Morocco. BUT where we will be there wont be many. In fact some stretches will be quite vast I am sure. One way to figure out how much fuel you need is to have enough for 25% + 100 miles past the longest fill up points. I should be well within this saftey margin in my fuel tanks alone. I do not like gas cans as they to me are an accident ready to happen.. I will learn more as time goes on.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Heads up from a good friend (BigAl) he explained to me the last time his wife was in Morocco some Prince tried to buy her! Now you guys have to know BigAl. He is one of the funniest guys on any forum period. In a PM he sent me this was at the very end.

That sounds neat about Morocco . Karen loved it ! You can sale the wife if she pisses you off :whistle: !!!
I'll see you on FF .
Allen

Now that is Classic BigAl! Hats off to you Al!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OFF TOPIC: Mike not trying to steal your thread, but you brought up the Volvo 3xx series vehicles and I have been intrigued by them ever since doing some web searches. I'm a fan of the Pinzgauers but now I see something better (although much harder to find).

Mike (or anyone else), in your opinion, which is the better vehicle: Volvo C303 or Pintzgauer?

The Pintz is air cooled and for some reason that seems to be inferior, but I don't know why. It seems like either of these vehicles would make an "extreme soccer mom mini-van" if it was modified to be more of a civilized vehicle (air conditioning, better seats, civilian interior trim, radio, etc).
PS : anyone want to buy an original low mileage Avanti Convertible . . . and then explain to the lovely Mrs_B why I want to trade it for an extreme 4x4? :whistle:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob,
In my opinion the Volvo is a much better and easier to work on than a Pingauer. The Pinz aircooled motor is inherantley more reliable since its aircooled. But the Volvo offers a much better off road platform. I have found the Pinz to be a bit tippy with the metal top version. They are however a much better four or six wheeler than 90% of whats out there. They are in the top 10 for sure. So a Pinz should not be ruled out completely. I will scan some spec sheets for you on the Volvo.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I have been posting over on the Pinzgauer/Volvo303 forum (small group but very dedicated group of owners). Apparently the Pinzgauer can't tow very much.

My thought was to build a Pinzgauer 710K to pull the Snow Trac in the winter and use it as a beach truck in the summer. It would make an awesome beach/dune vehicle, but not able to pull 4000# which is what I'd estimate the Snow Trac/trailer to weigh. The guys with the 6x6 Pinz 712 have claimed to tow, but only low weights. One guy said he towed 4000#.

Not one of them used a trailer with electric brakes & a brake controller. :confused2: