• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Morocco, spring of 2008

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Hello,
Well I have finally talked the wife into a 17 day trip across the Sahara desert! I will be using a Dodge Power Wagon for the basic expedition vehicle platform. To that I will add a tent, extended fuel tanks, water tanks, cooking kit along with all the other basic kits needed to have a reliable expedition vehicle. I will start my build slowly and will post as I go along. We will be leaving in the Spring of 2008. This will give me plenty of time to test all my new equipment. Anyone else been or going to Morocco?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WOW that sounds like the trip of a lifetime.

Just curious, but your choice of vehicles. . . can you get a list of recommended modifications from others who have used Power Wagons on extended desert runs like that? Seems to me a Land Rover has probably made that trip 1000 times so the resources for that vehicle are probably easy to find. I admit to knowing nothing about the Power Wagon, so maybe it has a very strong following and desert modifications are commonly known?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I am talking about the 2005 Dodge Power Wagon. No desert mods other than what I do. The Landy would be the smartest choice but I want to do it in my Dodge. I will post the mods that I do here I guess. I have been a member of an expedition 4x4 forum for years and post what I do there as well. BUT I really love this forum and thought I could expand on how I contribute here as well.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
S.O you are a true Wildman. And what a gem of a wife who would give the plan a thumbs up. I look forward to pictures and all the details of the trip that your willing to share. :thumb: :beer:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The basic platform of the Dodge Power Wagon (DPW hence forth) is a expedition vehicle platform dream as far as I am concerned. The only other item I would opt for would be a diesel engine BUT since for right now its not available with a diesel I will stick with the gas power plant. The basic DPW package option comes with as follows:

Warn 12,000 lbs. winch
2" factory lift
33"tires
special Alcoha rims designed to keep beads on with extremely low tire pressure.

Bilstien shocks and steering stabilizer
front sway bar electric disconnect
front and rear selectable lockers
heavy duty cooling system with a completely seperate radiator dedicated for A/C
4.56 gears

All this and on a 3/4 ton truck platform. Just what any expedition needs.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
My planned mods are as follows:

35" Super Swammper Trxus MTs (done and no rubbing)
front and rear Warn quick connect jumper cable connections (front done)
No-Loss air stem caps (done)
Dual Optima yellow top batteries
Flip Pac rear shell (turns into 7'6" tall camper tent with queen size bed when flipped open)
Engle freezer fridge with rear slide out mount
water storage in pickup bed walls (40 gallons and baffled)
Two custom made stainless steel and baffled fuel tanks. (85 gallons is my goal. This may not be achievable)
Various lockable storage lockers mounted in rear bed.
Honda generator to power lap top and other camp needs. Can also charge dead batteries.

GPS
Satelite phone
CB (typical European way to communicate to other vehicles in convoy)
and the other goods needed.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
S.O you are a true Wildman. And what a gem of a wife who would give the plan a thumbs up. I look forward to pictures and all the details of the trip that your willing to share. :thumb: :beer:

Yes she is a Gem. Been married 10 plus years! She puts up with me. OH shes not thrilled about leaving the kids AT ALL but the Monster in Law said she would watch the kids.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Honda generator to power lap top and other camp needs. Can also charge dead batteries.
That sounds like a good idea, but are you also going to be installing a power inverter into your truck's electrical system too? It would see that if you lose the generator you could operate off the truck power if an inverter is built in. Sort of a back up power system to your back up generator.

Also, I'd love to see photos of the pop up set up.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a great trip!!!

The one thing that's making me scratch my head is parts availability (if needed) for the DPW.
As already noted, it seems the Land Rover is the predominant vehicle there so I would expect there to be parts but what if something happens to the DPW?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I will install two inverters. One will be in the cab and the other in the rear bed. As far as spares I will bring the most common parts that go Kerthunk on a trail. I may also install a under hood welder. I have never had such a catastrophic failure as not to be-able to reach civilization. Most anything can be rigged to get you home. I will also contact Chrysler and see about a possibility of emergency parts from the closest location. BUT the Dodge is a very reliable vehicle. The great thing about the DPW platform is that it will remain bone stock! That in it self makes it very reliable. No engine mods needed to increase power. Currently it sees the shop for lube and inspection once a month. I have changed to Amsoil so it has the absolute best oil available. Lube means all the zirks are greased. Before I depart every fluid will be changed over to Amsoil. As far as Land Rover being the most dominent expedition yes its true. Thats because of the British influence in these countries. BUT I have also seen Jeeps in Morocco as well as other European manufacturers. I was even contiplating using a Volvo C303 or C304 for the base of my expedition rig but decided against it since I already have the DPW and it offers everything I need. The main reason though is that I just want to bring my DPW to this part of the world. I am waiting to hear back from the expedition guide on the importation costs of my vehicle. The only thing that may stop me bringing my DPW will be the cost of the Carnet tax. A carnet tax or fee is used in most countries to insure you take your vehicle back out. It can be very expensive depending on which country or countries you travel through. I have heard horor stories of 20 thousand dollar carnet fees. These are returned after you leave the country but still not to many people have 20K to just drop down for someone else to hold onto for a few months! Morocco though has one of the cheaper carnet fees around. This is also another reason you always see "Older" Land Rovers on expeditions. Usually these vehicles are completeley rebuilt and have basically only the sheet metal left on. Everything elese is the latest and greatest. 300 tdi engines ect ect. The Carnet fee is directly tied into the year of the vehicle. The older they are the cheaper this fee is.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Are you sure a gasoline powered vehicle is what you want there? I'd think the availability of diesel, kerosene and jet fuel would make a diesel engine much more versatile.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The Volvo has Portal axles a inline 6 B-series volvo engine and is a full size vehicle. The Pinzies are aircooled 4 cylinder with dual carbs and are a smaller vehicle. The c303 is a 4x4 as is a Pinz 710. The Volvo c304 is a 6x6 as is the pinz 712. Both are gas fueled. Gas is very common in Morocco as is of course diesel. The only thing is you want to pre filter both before putting it in your nice clean tank. Like I said if I had to choose between gas or diesel I would choose diesel hands down. BUT as it is I already have a gas rig. Checking with what was available for rent. They are both gas and diesel Land rovers. I will carry octane boost as well as part of my kit. Believe it or not these places get very good gas and excellent diesel. Remember the Paris Dakar ralley runs through this part most years.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't want to be the one to bring it up but...

With current events as they are, coupled with the fact Morocco is 98% Muslim, consider your safety. I wouldn't put any money down on anything until you're sure it's safe enough to travel there.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All I know is that I really liked the Pinzgauer . . . until I saw the Volvo C303. You think it would tow the Snow Trac? I'm thinking it would make a great "conversion van" type vehicle with a tricked out interior that would make it great for taking the family to the beach, and then driving on the beach. Or for pulling the Snow Trac up to Wisconsin or Michigan for weekend trips.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Here is a flip pac on a Ford.

Attachments

• flip pac 1.jpg
    flip pac 1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 181
  • flip pac 2.jpg
    flip pac 2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 179
  • flip pac 3.jpg
    flip pac 3.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 175

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I don't want to be the one to bring it up but...

With current events as they are, coupled with the fact Morocco is 98% Muslim, consider your safety. I wouldn't put any money down on anything until you're sure it's safe enough to travel there.

The company has Muslim guides that have been do these routes for 20 years. They are not the whacked out muslims you are reffering to. Is it completely safe? No nothing is but the risk is minimul and the government depends on this exact type of tourism from Europe to survive. They dont tolerate the radicals. But half of the adventure is the unknown. I will also be going with another couple who have been there many times as well. This is also another reason to go with a guide service who has been in bedded with the locals for so long. These locals depend on them for there income. Remember not all Muslims are Evil. Just a very small percentage.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob,
The Volvo would make an excellent conversion van not to mention one of the best damn 4x4s ever built. You have 18" of ground clearance and 33" tires. Not to mention it can articulate! As far as going to the beach. Well in stock form 55 MPH would be about as fast as it will go at extended ranges. You can safely put on 35" tires and increase your top speed to about 60MPH or do what I was planning on doing and drop in a 4 cylinder Ford Power Stroke (Baby Power Stroke) and NV4500 trans with that great overdrive. The portal axles can be converted to DANA gear sets so then you gear ratios will be unlimited. In stock form it wont have a problem towning your Snow Trac. They were used to tow just about everything in the Swedish armed forces. But you sure wont break any land speed records. As far as compared to a Pinzy they will wheel much better. Pinzys tend to be tippy. And for all you Pinz owners who say its not so, IT IS! I have seen it in person!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
My dream Expedition vehicle would be either a Volvo C306 or C304 6x6 with the 2.8 litre Baby Power Stroke and either a NV4500 5 speed or the NV5600 trans. I Know a company that builds the adaptor plates. What is really cool about the 2.8L PS is that its all mechanical! No computers! Simple swap. After the swap to diesel I would run all the enterior burners and heaters ect ect off of diesel. NO PROPAGNE

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Why the v-style PS motor when a B3.9 4-cyl Cummins would provide more power plus actual reliability?

:yankchain:

BTW, wouldn't a U416 or U1300 style Unimog be a fun chassis to do this with too.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Deadond thanks for the info. My current list of recovery gear is quite extensive since I do all the vehicle recovery for an area out here called Cave Lake. Its mainly during the rainy season and winter though. As far as an air bag jack I dont believe I will purchase one. I will mainly use my hi lift for lifting my vehicle if requiered. I have the large foot pad and also the tire rim lift adaptor. I will be adding a Viar aircompressor and 5 gallon tank to my vehicle later this year. EVERY expedition rig should have a 100% duty cycle air compressor. I will be also bringing my CO2 tank. These are great for fast fill ups and running air tools like my impact wrench and air ratchet. I most likley wont bring the Impact wrench but the air ratchet is a must along with my other hand picked tools. On a 17 day trip my Co2 tank will be more than plenty for myself. I will be running my tires tubless. I am not worried about loosing a tire when aried down since my rims will have the Staun internal bead locks added. This is a small tube that when inflated pushes the inner part of the tire bead against the rims. No loss of beads at all! I will take an inventoryof my recovery equipment that I will bring with me. Space will be tight so I cant bring everything. I also need to keep my weight down as much as possible to allow for as much fuel and water storage as I can without going over the GVWR. I just started to plan the layout of my rig so it will be some time before I figure what I can and need to bring and what I will leave behind.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
My dream Expedition vehicle would be either a Volvo C306
I think I'd be willing to trade my Avanti for a C303, 304 etc! Damn those things are awesome. Don't know what the heck I'd really do with it, but then again my Avanti convertible with its V8 engine and 12-gallon gas tank doesn't get me very far and isn't very practical, so what the heck, a bizarre military truck converted to fun-wagon would be just about as practical and could be fun to take to the dunes!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Av8r3400 said:
How will you get the "big bad Dodge" over to the sandbox?

I am not sure if RORO (roll on roll off) is the best way to transport it. I will have to check to see if it will fit in a container (which it should). I will be in contact with the guide service and they will know since this is part of the package.

Bob,
A C303 is a very nice rig no doubt! You cant go wrong. Even your local Volvo shop can work on it.