• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Guess The Make And Model Snow Cat

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The 1500 LMC is gone and I have a new "family taxi" snow cat as of today. I am posting pictures of the dash and controls. Guess the correct make and model and I will buy the beer. If no one can guess it I will add pics daily to provide hints.

Still have my workhorse 1200 LMC...

No Mike you are not allowed to participate in this fun....

P1010076A.JPG

P1010080A.JPG

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
That looks like you got my old one! Do you know what that manual reset button is for? PM me and I will tell yah if you dont.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know what it is but you should get your gauges fixed...
Based on the tach, the machine is running but the voltmeter and others are all reading zero.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
86 Kossborher/piston bully? It's the only model I've seen with the "Helicopter Joy Stick control", the meters look older, like 68, not 86, but they only started making these machines in 67 and those didn't have Joy sticks. The newer one have different meters. Of course I could be all wet, this could be a Vonhoofalator, nerftrerter model.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Lyndon said:
86 Kossborher/piston bully? It's the only model I've seen with the "Helicopter Joy Stick control", the meters look older, like 68, not 86, but they only started making these machines in 67 and those didn't have Joy sticks. The newer one have different meters. Of course I could be all wet, this could be a Vonhoofalator, nerftrerter model.

Good guess, but not correct. The joy stick is for the six way front blade. The Morse control (2 levers) are for the hydrostatics powered by the VW 1.9T ADE diesel. Now you have another hint.

Lyndon I do believe you will get it correct within a day or so.

Yes bczoom, it is a diesel after saying I would probably never have one, here it is. The price was right, so I will give it a try until someone wants it more than me.:smileywac

I will post another pic (new hint) later today.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
How in the hell am I suppose to know what you bought:confused: ????? You bought it, not me . Why did'nt you just ask the guy what it was . I can't believe you bought something and then have to post it on here to figure out what it is ...:pat: .

On the other hand , You are going to love that blade control . We had one on a plow truck and it was as good as it gets .

I'll take a wild guess and say it is a "Thumblicker model# 3208 Beast Retriever" with the optional potty chair .It may have "chrome muffler bearings" with "Blowby inserts" , but that would be a wild guess on my part and I do not want to speculate . Pretty fancy looking though ...

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can you see the logo inthe reflection of the crome bumper? Looks like DMC to me. I must have skipped over that first picture the first time and not noticed the controls for the steering that are right there! I say "Logan Orange".

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll take a wild guess and say it is a "Thumblicker model# 3208 Beast Retriever" with the optional potty chair .It may have "chrome muffler bearings" with "Blowby inserts" , but that would be a wild guess on my part and I do not want to speculate . Pretty fancy looking though ...

Real close BigAl, it is actually a Thumblicker model# 3208 Krusty Retriever..:yum:

Mike must of kept the optional potty chair though for his Sno master..:whistle: Bob is the only one I know who can afford chrome muffler bearings" with "Blowby inserts:thumb:

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
After having driven several LMC/DMC machines one of the features that sticks out was the use of a stock electrical control panel, Manufactured by Hoffman. Bombardier built all their guages into the dash, where as Thiokol/LMC/DMC used this arraingement. As an electrician I have installed numerous of these Hoffman Boxes so I recognized it right away. Should have cought this on the first look see.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Lyndon said:
Can you see the logo inthe reflection of the crome bumper? Looks like DMC to me. I must have skipped over that first picture the first time and not noticed the controls for the steering that are right there! I say "Logan Orange".

You are a great detective, and are getting warmer. I never noticed the reflection, but you do have some correct letters. I do not think it is Logan orange more like Nevada Bell orange and blue. Just a guess on my part as I am waiting to confirm if it is a company color or OEM factory colors.....

mkntrakes

seems to me you gave up a snow cat for a lawn mower im pretty sure they call them vmc if you need i can tell you what vmc stands for.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mkntrakes said:
seems to me you gave up a snow cat for a lawn mower im pretty sure they call them vmc if you need i can tell you what vmc stands for.

Mkntrakes, you got it and I owe you a beer. We will have to set up a payment plan.... Also need to know what you think VMC stands for or do I......This does kinda scare me. Have you been drinking and plotting with BigAl again????:yum: :yum:

Still have my 1200 LMC to pull out the VMC if it does not work out. I like to try new and different adventures and I thought I got a good buy on this one. It may be gone like the 1500 LMC if it is does not live up to expectations. Plus I will need a blade this next winter on a snow cat

P4180029A.JPG

P4180014A.JPG.

I now see this is your first post...I would like to hear a little more of your history before payoff time. Your expert status maybe called by some members (Lyndon) as you guessed it right away. Before payoff I think the others will require a little more info on you. Hope you did not have inside info like Martha....

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I also recognize "Bill's" gas pump in the background. Did he give you the complete tour? He was last working on a Bombardier 'B12' and you should have seen his Tucker Tank, along with My 'J5'. We've been associates since 94'.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Lyndon said:
I also recognize "Bill's" gas pump in the background. Did he give you the complete tour? He was last working on a Bombardier 'B12' and you should have seen his Tucker Tank, along with My 'J5'. We've been associates since 94'.

I have spent considerable time in his yard the past several years and it is almost like a musem. Can always find something new to intrigue me. It should be a side trip for the upcoming forum get together. His inventory is quite large at the present time and his website does not show what the variety and quantity is in the yard. :thumb:

mkntrakes

here is a little history on mkntrakes i have been dealing with snow cats here in coloardo for about 25 years mostly dealing with utility companys servicing and repairing there equipment as well as keeping my fleet alive i have been around lmc,bombardiers,tuckers, kristys, argos, piston bullys, prinoths,cusman tracksters,vmc,snowmaster,most of the equipment is under 8 feet wide.every machine has some thing good going for it and somthing bad most utlity equipment has the worst conditions to deal with uncut trails ,high elevations and bad roads to drive on pulling a machine evey operator has a machine they prefer. as for my fleet i run 6 lmc 1200s highley modified,2 lmc 1500s one with the jeep motor and on with the ford,a prinoth t2 br160,and a 1404 imp. my favorite is my 1200 5 man. i don,t find a lot of time to post so i read what you guys a taking about and and hide in the wings but just couldnt pass on a free beer.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Where the hell do you get parts for a Prinoth in the States? Are there even any dealers? I hardly ever see them at ski areas in the US or Canada.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mkntrakes,
You are a qualified winner, I will have to make arrangements to meet you next time I am in Colorado or if you get to northern Wyoming and buy the beer and pizza. I am sure if it is free beer and pizza, BigAl will also be showing up if we let out the location.:whistle: I believe you are in western CO, is that correct?

I may even have an idea why you called the VMC a lawnmower...:yum: and may have to agree after this next winter.

I also preferred my 5 passenger 1200 LMC more than the 1500 LMC that I replaced with the VMC. I just did not like the feel and balance of the 1500, even though many people do prefer the LMC 1500 over the 1200.

mkntrakes

lydon i really haven,t needed to many prts for t2 but the ones i have needed i have got from bombadier in grand jct they bought out the prinot deal that was there and i hope now that prinoth owns bombadier that it will be easier to get them over here. i tried to post some pictures but can,t seem to get it right. mtntopper i call vmc a lawn mower because when you have them in deep snow with there low ground clearance they drag and leave a path that looks like a lawn mower went thew.

mkntrakes

o forgot i am located in castle rock but spend most winters driving machines in throughout the state and wy

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mkntrakes said:
mtntopper i call vmc a lawn mower because when you have them in deep snow with there low ground clearance they drag and leave a path that looks like a lawn mower went thew.

The specs say 12 inch clearance. After power washing yesterday and trying to get underneath, I am not sure where that 12 inch measurement comes from. I was guessing that might be your reason also as to "lawnmower". It will make a nice smooth trail for the cross country skiers to follow or for me to follow home if it breaks.:yum: :whistle:

gunnercarvo

lydon i really haven,t needed to many prts for t2 but the ones i have needed i have got from bombadier in grand jct they bought out the prinot deal that was there and i hope now that prinoth owns bombadier that it will be easier to get them over here. i tried to post some pictures but can,t seem to get it right. mtntopper i call vmc a lawn mower because when you have them in deep snow with there low ground clearance they drag and leave a path that looks like a lawn mower went thew.

I have a 1999 VMC RT01 in the shop I work at with tachometer and throttle issues. I believe it could be the engine speed sensor, but I can't find it on the engine. Do you have any electronic versions of a manual or anything that would help with this issue? We don't usually work on these and don't have any books on it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

gunnercarvo

The 1500 LMC is gone and I have a new "family taxi" snow cat as of today. I am posting pictures of the dash and controls. Guess the correct make and model and I will buy the beer. If no one can guess it I will add pics daily to provide hints.

Still have my workhorse 1200 LMC...

No Mike you are not allowed to participate in this fun....

View attachment 6013

View attachment 6014

This looks exactly like the one I'm working on.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a 1999 VMC RT01 in the shop I work at with tachometer and throttle issues. I believe it could be the engine speed sensor, but I can't find it on the engine. Do you have any electronic versions of a manual or anything that would help with this issue? We don't usually work on these and don't have any books on it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The module as I recall is located under the drivers seat. It should have a tag on it with a manufactures name. It takes special equipment (software) to diagnose the module problems. I think you can send it into the manufacture for a rebuild? Several years ago I was at Snotrans and Bill was trying to square one away with similar problems. He provided me info for the manufacturer at that time but I did not save it. You can goggle the name on the box and I believe there is a company in Utah that offers a compatible updated unit. The OEM ones were not very reliable. I have sold the VMC as it was prone to electronic troubles such as this along with hydraulic inconsistencies.

I may have a manual at my mountain home but I will not be there until the weekend at best. I will check my snow cat manuals and see if I have the manual still for the VMC. I have a tendency to save them for future reference but not sure if I have this one. I make duplicate copies when possible.

Last edited: