Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum

Snowcat Repairs, Parts & Problems Forum Snowcat Repairs, Parts Inquiries, Sources, Problems & Advice

Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road
Default stuck vw intake valve

i've had an intake valve stick open on my snow trac twice now when temp drops down to around -15.the CHT. has never exceeded 250 since i put the gauge on and generaly when an engine over heats its the exhaust valves that stick the intake valve will free up when it warms up and woks fine otherwise other than a cracked guide i talked to a few aircraft mechanics they think its moste likely no upper cylender lube from unleaded gas a problem they ran into with aircraft motors desighmed to run off of high octain leaded fuel they added marvl mystery oil to fix the problem any other thaughts from some of the vw experts out there.
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 11-25-2009, 04:14 PM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice
Default Re: stuck vw intake valve

Valve stem u/s for the guide. Try a quart or 2 of kerosene in the fuel.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Bronze Member

scooterd is on a distinguished road

On my 37 John Deere B, I add one qt of kerosene to ten gallons gas. It runs great no matter how hard I work it. When I really want to have fun, I switch tanks and run it on straight kerosene. You have to close the shutters on the rad and get the temp up, or it will stall and be a real pain to start. It's fun though because people can't believe that a gas motor runs on kerosene. T-nut can relate to this I'm sure.Someday we will meet in Rollag or New Rockford!
Old 11-26-2009, 04:56 AM

there is another engine desighned to run off both fuels thats a td19 international you started it in low compression and spark ignition than pulled some levers wich changed it over to diesel and compression ignition than there is the ldt 465 multifuel engine that will run off both gas and diesel using compression ignition only the injection pump has a compensator valve to automaticaly adjust for different fuel densitys
Old 12-03-2009, 12:21 AM

fr73ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterd View Post
On my 37 John Deere B, I add one qt of kerosene to ten gallons gas. It runs great no matter how hard I work it. When I really want to have fun, I switch tanks and run it on straight kerosene. You have to close the shutters on the rad and get the temp up, or it will stall and be a real pain to start. It's fun though because people can't believe that a gas motor runs on kerosene. T-nut can relate to this I'm sure.Someday we will meet in Rollag or New Rockford!

I sense a death in the family soon...

fr73ed
Old 12-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,203 Times in 581 Posts
JimVT is on a distinguished road

My 35 B starts on gas and runs on stove oil.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:38 PM

Update i'm not usualy a believer in a mechanic in a bottle but since i started adding lead substitute i have had no intake valve problems.