• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

15 year blues

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Who says it's better to own than rent?

Well, my house (and most appliances) turned 15 years old.
Why don't things last like they used to?
Most everything has pooped out or is getting close.

I had big plans for other projects but it looks like I better reserve some time for home maintenance...

2 years ago:
Water heater died.
Dishwasher died.
New kitchen floor.

Last year:
Sewage pump died.
Fridge quit.
New plumbing in all bathroom sinks.
New stove (but this was just to match the new D/W and fridge).
Big TV died.

This year:
Right now:
Dryer belt.
Washer leaking oil (only small amount so I think this is normal).
Spigots on bathroom tubs started dripping.
Toilet flappers and such (trickles water).

When summer comes:
New woodstove.
New roof and some plywood.
Skylights leak on rainy days where there's high temp changes.
New siding? I have cedar now and it's cracking, north side is dark (growing something?).
Exterior doors have settled. New doors needed (and some carpentry as it's 18' long of glass).
Fix well pump.
New carpet.
Fix drywall where cracks or screw/nails popped.
New paint.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
With home and property ownership the jobs never end, they just change day to day. Maybe we should just trade homes every 10 years and avoid the problems. I never could replace my present location, so I guess I will just keep trying to put out the fires as they happen. Seems like most of my free time is just spent to keep up on the daily maintence, repairs and not lose ground to the things that must be done to not get behind. Once it gets ahead of you, I don't think you can ever catch up.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I always wonder how those people that max out their credit to buy a huge fancy house with all the "upgrades" manage to keep up on the maintenance of those places.

I doubt many of these people realize that the bigger and fancier the house the more work it is to maintain it.

I wish my house was smaller and my property bigger.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I will give you what you paid for your house 15 years ago. All you have to do is move out. I will fix the problems and then sell it and make a tidy profit.....