• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Are you going to do electrical work after the new year?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Just wanted to update you people that do your own electrical work in your own house. In 2008 a new version of the NEC will likely be in effect, depending on your local area. There are some changes that could affect you that you'd like to be aware of.

AFCI(Arc-Fault) circuits have been required in the bedrooms. Now it will be all lighting and receptacle circuits in the house. Except for the receptacles that need to be GFCI(Ground Fault) protected, I still need to get a clarification on that one.

All receptacles need to be tamper resistant. That is a receptacle that will not allow a diaper pin or knife to be inserted into the receptacle. The problem is, the manufacturers were not ready for this and there could be a shortage come January.

All outdoor receptacles need to be weather resistant. Yes the receptacle itself. Of course it still needs to have the weather-proof in use cover along with being AFCI protected. And as of right now, there are none on the market. The manufacturers asked for a reprieve until 2011 and it got voted down.

There have been exceptions to receptacles in the garage and basement having to be GFCI protected. Those exceptions will be gone.

All of this could affect you if you are in an area will adopt the NEC in 2008. If you happen to be exempt from national codes and/or inspections, you just lucked out again. This pertains to new installations here and not to existing conditions.

There are thousands of changes, some don't affect residential wiring, but I'm still reading too :pat:

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
I had heard that there was an effort to make the main AFCI. Meaning that the whole house would be effected if it tripped. Also, AFCI for lights is house wide and recepticles is bedroom only?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I was able to check the online version today. This is quoted from the 2008 NEC copyrighted by NFPA
All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Their definition of an outlet is any point along the circuit where you can tie into to utilize power. So that includes lighting circuits.
If you look at all the rooms included above, bathrooms, garages and basements seem to be missing. That's what I need to get clarified as of yet. But if you read, it also says "or similar rooms". So, what gives?

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Interesting, I wonder if because GFCI's are required in wet areas, which could include garages and such, they weren't specifically mentioned. The "similar rooms" mentioning would suggest to me that whether you're basement is a "Finished" space or not would determine AFCI or GFCI. Then again, there is always the interpretation of the individual inspector that could gum up the works so to speak.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
"Are you going to do electrical work after the new year?"

Nope. All mine was done in 1991. :rolleyes:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
GFCI protection has been expanded just a bit. The exceptions for dedicated receptacles in garages and basements have been eliminated. So, sump pumps, freezers and garage door openers will need to be GFCI protected in 2008. I can see this a potential problem coming up.
The AFCI protection is not required if GFCI protection is installed where required.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
So 30A circuits are exempt? Gotta go cut off all my lamp cords and put 30A twist-locks on them. :yum:

On a more serious note, will a Millermatic 140 (MIG, 120V/20A) trip an AFCI?

rico304

Wow. I remember you said it was coming. Did they come up with increase in average house wiring prices? Just curious how much that will add to materials cost. (Approx) I've never priced Arc Fault.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Between $30 and $36 dollars each. Most 200 amp loadcenters today (most common) are 40 space. Probably about 1/2 of the spaces would have the arc fault breakers to be code compliant. Adds roughly $720.00+- to the material costs alone. Then there is the extra time required to wire them. This is a heavily manufacturer backed revision.

rico304

Between $30 and $36 dollars each. Most 200 amp loadcenters today (most common) are 40 space. Probably about 1/2 of the spaces would have the arc fault breakers to be code compliant. Adds roughly $720.00+- to the material costs alone. Then there is the extra time required to wire them. This is a heavily manufacturer backed revision.

OUCH!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
So 30A circuits are exempt? Gotta go cut off all my lamp cords and put 30A twist-locks on them. :yum:

On a more serious note, will a Millermatic 140 (MIG, 120V/20A) trip an AFCI?

Yes it appears 30A and above is exempt. The welder situation is probably one that hasn't been tested yet. I doubt if the arc signature the AFCI is looking for would be present in the branch circuit wiring. It is my uneducated guess right now that things will be okay with the welder.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes it appears 30A and above is exempt. The welder situation is probably one that hasn't been tested yet. I doubt if the arc signature the AFCI is looking for would be present in the branch circuit wiring. It is my uneducated guess right now that things will be okay with the welder.

You haven't seen me weld. :smileywac

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
A couple of interesting anomolies I've experienced with the AFCI breakers. Static charge cause by beater bar in vacuums trips the breaker. Had one HO with an electric clock that would trip the breaker too. Couldn't quite figure that one out.