• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

3 days in North Carolina

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Taking Melen back to Wake Forest U in Winston-Salem, N.C. will arrive on Friday, plan to stay the weekend, maybe extend it for an extra day.

Looking forward to the trip, rented a Chevy Suburban so I can fit all her crap in one trip. Not sure why I rented a storage locker down on campus, I thought the idea was to leave all her crap behind, but over the summer she apparently accumulated enough extra crap that I need a Suburban to it all.

Might swing into Aunt Bea's Diner for lunch, "Mount Pilot" from the Andy Griffith show is just north of campus. (town called Mount Ary (sp?) and the actual mountain is Pilot Mtn)

Looking forward to at least one meal in the Renalda Tavern on the former R.J.Reynolds estate.

Not pushing ourselves, just dropping her off and hanging around town to see some things, probably make 6 "emergency" runs to Target for last minute essentials. :glare:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Have fun !
It's pretty country around Mt AIry.

If you need help with anything, I have all one thousand of the Andy Griffith collector cards :) … really lol

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have fun !
It's pretty country around Mt AIry.

If you need help with anything, I have all one thousand of the Andy Griffith collector cards :) … really lol

I didn't even know there were Andy Griffith collector cards :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Made it here safe and sound.

Just ate dinner, it was carry out, from THE COOK OUT drive through. Great burgers and milk shakes.

A few observations from the drive:
If you drive slow, GET THE F*** OUT OF THE LEFT LANE

Just because I have license plates from the state you are from does not mean you have to stare into my car to see if you know me.

If you drive a small low mass vehicle do NOT pull in front of a semi-truck that is coming down a long steep grade in the W. Virginia mountains! This is doubly true when its raining AND their brakes are on fire!

Driving 12 hours is bad enough, driving 11.5 hours in rain sucks, but it was nice to have the rain stop just as we approached the North Carolina state line.

Other than BIBLE and COUNTRY MUSIC stations, apparently there are NO radio stations in Eastern Kentucky or West Virginia

Remember, RADAR DETECTORS are illegal in Virginia. But if you have a really good one you can take it off the windshield mount, set it on the armrest below window level, and still detect the state po-po before they can read your speed.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Take the 129 route around the southern Smokies on your way back. The Tail of the Dragon will make you BELIEVE. I'll be there in four weeks to see if the upgrades on my crossfire improve handling thru the hairpins. All lovely this time of year.

Squerly lives down their near Frankln NC. Beautiful region of the country.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Taking Melen back to Wake Forest U in Winston-Salem, N.C. will arrive on Friday, plan to stay the weekend, maybe extend it for an extra day.

Looking forward to the trip, rented a Chevy Suburban so I can fit all her crap in one trip. Not sure why I rented a storage locker down on campus, I thought the idea was to leave all her crap behind, but over the summer she apparently accumulated enough extra crap that I need a Suburban to it all.

Might swing into Aunt Bea's Diner for lunch, "Mount Pilot" from the Andy Griffith show is just north of campus. (town called Mount Ary (sp?) and the actual mountain is Pilot Mtn)

Looking forward to at least one meal in the Renalda Tavern on the former R.J.Reynolds estate.

Not pushing ourselves, just dropping her off and hanging around town to see some things, probably make 6 "emergency" runs to Target for last minute essentials. :glare:

I spend a few days each month in Mt Airy. A fun place to visit, particularly on Saturday The streets get rolled up on Sunday unless there is a festival of some sort. There often is. I'd stay away from Aunt Bea's. Trip Advisor lists it as 50th out of 71 That's a tad high IMO. If you are looking for NC style BBQ, Little Richards is probably the best in a very casual setting.

Downtown is a few blocks long and worth the walk. Park at the winery. A good place to sample decent local wines. Tapas is the main menu item, and they are pretty good.

Both Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock are state parks. Pilot Mountain has a walkway around the base, and the views are outstanding.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Move in starts at 9am. Melen and Marcia seem to be in no hurry to get out of bed. So we won't be on campus for the start of move it time. Last year taught us that it gets more crowded, more chaotic and more humid as the hours of the day progress toward noon. So what have I learned? I have learned that despite all the conversation about the 'plan' there is no point in planning anything when you live with women!

That will be me out there, sweating through my shirt, in the heat of the day, trying to unload the 47 tote bins of college crap out in the lawn, and then I'll park 1/2 way across campus since that will be the only place that has spots large enough for a Suburban. But hey, by the time I hike back to the dorm 20 minutes later I'll make it back just in time to haul the tote bins inside AFTER the forecasted rain starts.

Such is the life of the father of a spoiled daughter.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
So what have I learned? I have learned that despite all the conversation about the 'plan' there is no point in planning anything when you live with women!

I have to agree. With women "the plan" is just a path not taken!

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
smart guy, mntman- you won't win. we'll own your wallet before you can blink. we're brain ninjas. dane cook
said so.

Last edited:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
You know our own WorkingWoman lived in W/S NC for about 25 years. I've personally not ever been there (that I recall), but I distinctly recall the drive on I64 across WV when my son attended VMI. IMHO, WV is one beautiful state inhabited by some of the worst, and downright rude, drivers in the union. Many times Mrs. Dargo and I spent the night in a cheap roadside motel owned, undoubtedly, by someone in the Patel family just so we didn't bag our first deer with our Excursion (wouldn't have been a disaster most likely) or with my Acura (disaster). When Mrs. Dargo counted more than 20 sets of reflecting deer eyes grazing next to I64 in any 1 minute timeframe, we called it a night and stopped at the next available motel.

Be safe, enjoy your trip. Hopefully you don't bag any deer on your return trip! Oh, BTW, when I took my first daughter to IU's Kelly Business school, I discovered that their dorms were directly across from IU's baseball field, which had the only place I could park my motorcoach. Baseball practice was ending and my daughter was rooming with two other really hot (not that I noticed) females. As the three girls stood there with all the side doors opened on my bus, I asked the guys if any of them would like to help these three lovely ladies move into their room, and possibly meet them. I never had to get out of the coach. They had everything moved into her room in about 10 minutes (on the 2nd floor), including my emergency supplies I kept in my motorcoach that had to be moved back! Sometimes college aged guys can be very helpful. :biggrin:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Moved Melen into her suite on campus, went to lunch and she tested her blood sugar levels ... Way too high ... Her insulin pump (Medtronics Mini-Med) failed today. We are almost 800 miles from home! Great timing. Give a call to Medtronics, explain what is happening, they are flying a new pump to us today, guaranteed delivery by 10:30pm this evening. In the mean time it's old school insulin injections every 3 hours. Fortunately she has syringes and supplies packed as a backup. Pumps are great but they last for about a year, maybe 18 months before they fail. Given they cost about as much as a nice used car you just can't keep a backup in the house, but Medtronics has replaced most of her pumps in about 12-18 hours. Longest we had to wait was about 28 hours, but that was only once.

View from her room:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 158

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well another problem.

The new insulin pump will NOT arrive tonight at 10;30. It will arrive tomorrow at lunchtime.

So we are extending our stay at the hotel. That means we will be home on Monday evening instead of Sunday evening. Melen is not happy. She needs an insulin shot every 3 hours. That means waking up every few hours all night long.

Great way to start our her second year at college.

Leni

Sometimes college aged guys can be very helpful.

You do realize that you may have just introduced her to your future son in law.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Sometimes college aged guys can be very helpful.

You do realize that you may have just introduced her to your future son in law.

Ah, no problems there. My daughter has been dating a young man on the Bloomington, IN police force for a couple of years.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
More issues.

Apparently there is bad weather somewhere (not where I am). Flights are delayed. Now we are here until 6:30pm Sunday night waiting for the insulin pump. That puts this at a 30 hour delay from when the pump died to tomorrow evening.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We finally got the delivery of Melen's replacement insulin pump.

She has it and it seems to be working.

The lovely Mrs_Bob and I are relaxing in our hotel suite, Melen is on campus having fun with her friends. We plan to meet for breakfast tomorrow morning and then drive home. Plan to drive straight through, arrive in Northwest Indiana about 10:00pm???

This morning we Melen's new roommate and took the girls to WalMart to get the last of their supplies, snacks and whatever else they needed. The WalMart had a section of the store with large WELCOME BACK WAKE FOREST STUDENTS and GO DEACS and other Wake Forest signs.

Under the signs was all sorts of stuff for UNC students, NC State students, Clemson U students, but absolutely nothing for Wake Forest students?

TOOK PHOTOS BUT CAN'T UPLOAD????