• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

trivia 12/22

JenKennings

Occupant; CatBird Seat
SUPER Site Supporter
trivia 12/22
Did you know...
ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL WAS A PRIVATE TUTOR TO HELEN KELLER.

1. Which actress played Joe's mother in the film 'Lassie Come Home' and the wife to be in the
film 'The Bride of Frankenstein'?
(Hint; Initials are E.L.)
2. John Kay was the lead singer in which rock band?
a. – Poco
b. – Mott the Hoople
c. – Mountain
d. –Steppenwolf
3. To which country must I travel to visit the city of Tabasco ?
4. In a very popular song written by Johnny Mercer, which words precede "eliminate the
negative"?
5. When France decided to leave NATO French President Charles de Gaulle phoned the US
President and said he wanted all American service personnel removed from French soil. The
US President replied "Does that include those buried in it?" Who was the US President?
6. What exactly is the so called worm in mezcal?
7. An excursion for pleasure made by an official at the expense of the tax payer is called what ?
8. The fictional masked crime fighter The Green Hornet is the great-nephew of which western hero?
TRUTH OR CRAP ??
Bell-Bottom pants, or “Flares”, were a hippie phenom designed in the mid-sixties.
1. Elsa Lanchester
2. - d. –Steppenwolf
3. Mexico
4. “Accent the Positive”
5. Lyndon B. Johnson
6. A butterfly larva
7. a Junket
8. The Lone Ranger
CRAP !!
Bell-Bottoms were first – and still- worn by sailors. They enable deckhands to get in or out of their pants in a hurry. And if you tie off the bottom of the legs, and swing them sharply through the air, they will hold enough air to serve as a floatation device.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
2, 4 and I think my answer of "really expensive" should be accepted for #7.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I got 3 and 4. I also got T or C.

I'll put forward "boondoggle" as an alternative to #7. I'm scrambling for points today. It was a tough one.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I got all but #2, including Truth or Crap*.

*For historical accuracy, bell bottoms were not designed to be easy to put on/take off. They were made so that sailors could
easily roll them up above their knees when cleaning wooden decks, which was a two-part job. First the deck was
holey-stoned (think sanding - an abrasive stone with a hole to allow a swab handle to be inserted), and then they turned-to
on hands and knees with scrub brushes and pails to finish the job.

And they did indeed make a good albeit temporary floatation device!